Rabbit fat

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I save any fat I collect from poultry and render it to get rid of the bits that aren't fat. Chicken & goose fat is nice for the frying pan. Ppl praise goose fat for pastry but I hardly ever make pastry and haven't tried it yet. I'm fairly new to rabbits and haven't got to the point of butchering any yet. I would just experiment and see what you like. I butchered a ram in December and I'm not fond of the taste of the fat. It's a very hard fat though, so I'll likely use it for soap.

I save any fat I collect from poultry and render it to get rid of the bits that aren't fat. Chicken & goose fat is nice for the frying pan. Ppl praise goose fat for pastry but I hardly ever make pastry and haven't tried it yet. I'm fairly new to rabbits and haven't got to the point of butchering any yet. I would just experiment and see what you like. I butchered a ram in December and I'm not fond of the taste of the fat. It's a very hard fat though, so I'll likely use it for soap.
Thank you.

I got so confused when you said soap lol, I'm assuming you mean soup

What do you all do with your rabbit fat?
I take all visible fat and save it to a gallon freezer bag. Once full, I render the fat and then I cook and bake with it. In my opinion, store bought butter is VERY expensive, cooking oils are so so not good for consumption and ditto for crisco type stuff, so I love having this healthy and natural alternative.

Soap needs two ingredients; well, three: fat (whether liquid or solid), lye & water. So yeah, those three. Anything beyond that (fragrance, color, different liquids like milk or honey, etc.) is extra.
For the ususal bar soaps technically even 4, the lye is in sodiumhydroxide form, the salt (sodium) makes the soap into hard soap. So if you make soap with woodash, you'll need to add salt for the kind of soap we are now used to. In the old days salt was costly and quick-ish woodashlye soapy slime stuff was enough for the cleaning it was needed for. I suspect the salt also makes the soap shelfstable, it certainly made it easier to transport and thus sell.

I have rendered it for cooking fat just like bacon grease, etc. It is fairly low in flavor, so it works well for that, a nice bland flavor, that doesn't change the recipe much. Mostly I feed it to the dog along with the other bits I don't want to eat, not because I dislike it, but because I have enough fat of my own and I don't need more! If the dog starts getting pudgy too, I may have to try the soap angle.

Back