rabbit electrolytes ?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

II Arrows

Reaction score
I know this has most likely been covered a million time but when is the proper time to give rabbits electrolytes? Is it for the mama, the kits or both? I have also read that you can give poultry electrolytes to the rabbits, has anyone done that. I have a few chick saver electrolyte packets left over from my wife's chicks. Would I be safe to use that during the weaning stages? Everything that I have read and researched didn't really give a definite and clear answer.

I don't think most give electrolytes. Just basic salt/mineral blocks for some. Most of my rabbits just have himalayan salt blocks. Rabbits do not sweat and are usually not doing much for exercise so they are not losing as much in salts like many other species of livestock. If I do give electrolytes to small mammals I use pinches of apple flavored horse ones https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.htm ... 28ad94114a . It does help encourage guinea pigs to drink water with vit c in it.

Thanks akane, all of my rabbits including both does who currently have litters have salt and miniral spools in there hutches. I've read somewhere that is was good to use electrolytes in the water to help adjust weaning kits from their mama. I don't believe everything I read so I figured the best place to ask would be here. I'm trying to maximize the survival rate of the kits because here in the next few days to weeks they are about to embark on their next stage of life and probably the most stressful part. What would be my best course of action to insure a healthy and successful litter? I've already seen some kits experimenting on hay, pellets, and some oats.

I don't give electrolytes unless the rabbit has stopped eating or drinking. As the kits begin to eat, the hay helps them adjust, and eating their dam's droppings.

So more or less they are on the right track already. I've actually seen one of the kits munching on some of the mama's berries :D Thank you all for the info

Latest posts

Back