Rabbit doesn't eat, sits placid there doing nothing...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About the electrolyte: Can I give her too much of that? It is high on sugar, and I think she better should drink water if possible, right? Not that I manage to get much into her, a syringe full 2-3 times per day (plus the watered emergency food)
You didn't mention the size of your syringe but you won't overload her with 2 or 3 ml a day. If you can get her started on water again I'd offer that too. Will she drink the electrolyte on her own from a crock?

None of my rabbits had EC. Only thing there was was Myxo, but those rabbits are all dead for 3 years now (Fury the sole survivor). I can't rule out cocci, but would exepct that to be more likly in warmer seasons.

It may have been stressful with 8 rabbits in this hutch, 4 of those are gone meanwhile.

It's a 10ml syringe, today I gave her plain water, but that's more difficult than food. It wasn't with the sweet electrolyte.
Maybe she has enough liquid with the food anyway, but my take is better a little too much than not enough.

Preitler":xpbft11i said:
It's a 10ml syringe, today I gave her plain water, but that's more difficult than food. It wasn't with the sweet electrolyte.
Maybe she has enough liquid with the food anyway, but my take is better a little too much than not enough.
Still don't think that would be too much. How much does she weigh? I'm sure you have figures it out by now but rabbits are attracted to sweet things so going from electrolyte solution to water can sometimes be fun. :x

If you gradually dilute the electrolyte solution with increasing amounts of plain water, it should make the transition back easier. It's like offering a child plain water when he's been drinking soda pop or juice.

MaggieJ":1sz4wqtv said:
If you gradually dilute the electrolyte solution with increasing amounts of plain water, it should make the transition back easier. It's like offering a child plain water when he's been drinking soda pop or juice.

Maggie is absolutely right. That's how I weaned my hand fed babies off the formula I was feeding them. Kept adding plain water until they lost interest in it. It only took 4 days and they were too busy eating hay and pellets while seeing how fast they could run around the pen to mess with that "stuff". :p

Yarrow is a plant that my rabbits really like when they have digestive issues and it seem to help them especially with diarhea. It is also one of the first greens that our baby chicken get because it is easy for digestion.

Greetings from the Fury, and thanks :)
This forum helped me a lot to find good, reliable info fast.

Schwarze krank3.JPG

When I came home today she wasn't in her "cage", but wandering around the house. Opened the door, and out in the garden she went :). She's more agile every day. She even bothered to hump the smallest of her hutchmates several times :D (they were all in the garden)

She eats hay, drinks water, enjoyed a piece of bread, ate some oatmeal :)
It's so heartwarming to see her recovering :rabbit-hop1:

I offered her some greens I found, just a few leafes. Interesting. She didn't even try the dandelion, nibbled some grass, but went for the celandine and chickweed with vigor. Then hopped off to nibble some ivy. I trust she knows what she's doing. And she loves willow twigs.

Tomorrow she goes back to the hutch, although she is a well behaved house bunny, consequently uses her litter box (2 meters away from her "cage"), no chewed cables or furniture... :)

Great! She is so shiney.
Preitler":p2k4p36d said:
I offered her some greens I found, just a few leafes. Interesting. She didn't even try the dandelion, nibbled some grass, but went for the celandine and chickweed with vigor. Then hopped off to nibble some ivy. I trust she knows what she's doing. And she loves willow twigs.
I've found that to be true--if they've used to eating wild greens, they pick out what they need when they need it.

You did an excellent job helping her through. Glad to hear she sounds back to being her Fury self!

She looks very content to be a house bunny. :)

Preitler":1llhajd6 said:
Tomorrow she goes back to the hutch, although she is a well behaved house bunny, consequently uses her litter box (2 meters away from her "cage"), no chewed cables or furniture... :)
Cue Fury trying to remember what she did that panicked you enough to bring her inside. :lol:

Miss M":27qka12u said:
She looks very content to be a house bunny. :)

Yeah, sure. She was a house bunny for half a year, Myxo quarantine. So I have a slight idea af what to expect. When hormons kick in, in spring, she'll mark every corner. She cut all cables to 1 inch pieces, tried to kill me twice by removing just enough insulation from power cords to shock me. Of course, she would be bored after some time, and I wouldn't like her to reduce all plinths (wood and PVC alike) to flakes, splinters and sawdust again. Not to mention the tunnel she started, straight into a wall, after an inch of plaster bricks stopped her.

Yeah, those were the days :p , that's how she earned her name :lol:
Schwarze jung.jpg

So, today I spent 2 hours supervising the 4 does in the garden, much humping (only by her), little chases (not the bad kind), and so on. When it was time to go into the hutch she was very reluctant, had to wait another half hour (I have the feeling that forcing her would be wrong, showing weakness to the others). When I went to feed them she was sitting in the middle, being groomed by all three does :D , she just is a born alpha. :cool:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Wow! All Aslan does is take occasional tastes of the baseboards and chairs. He gets jailed immediately, so he doesn't even do that much anymore.

He will also leave an occasional puddle. But he does that very rarely, now that we started leaving a few bunny berries in each corner when we sweep. :roll:

Fury really did earn her name! :p

Latest posts

Back