Rabbit Cold?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heritage Homestead

Reaction score
Hi!
I have a 8 month old New Zealand White buck. A couple days ago he dropped off his feed. I looked him over and he sounded like he was wheezing (for lack of a better word). He kinda sounded like a whistle. It isn't really noticable except when you are paying attention. Also when I did see him eat some, he tipped up his head until he was done chewing. And once or twice while I was out there he jerked his head a couple times and made this sound that sounded like when a person in blowing their nose.
I'm not sure if rabbits get common colds and that is what he has. I have looked up snuffles, but he doesn't have a runny nose and his front paws are not wet like he wiped it away.
Any advice would be helpful.
Also would anyone like to recommend their favorite rabbit care book? I've been looking around for a good one, but haven't found one that I really like yet. I would really like one that recommends natural remedies, but any titles would be helpful.
:thankyou:

I'm sure others more knowledgeable will chime in here, but I just wanted to say that you should definitely quarantine him right away.

Absolutely, quarantine him. It wounds like a respiratory infection. This need not be snuffles, but it could be pneumonia or numerous other illnesses. Rabbits do not catch the common cold, so this is more serious than that. The tipping back of the head is typical of respiratory problems.

Hi,
Thank you for your reply.
Unfortunatly I do not have a place to quarantine him away from my other rabbits. They are all kept in a animal shelter and I haven't been able to set up a place yet for the sick ones. How contagious could this be? Also, do you have any ideas for what I could give him that might help in general?
Thanks,

If you don't have a place to quarantine him, consider bringing him into the house. It is inconvenient, but it makes it easier to keep an eye on him and to treat him if necessary.

There is no way I can tell how serious or contagious this may be. He may need antibiotic treatment. He may improve on his own. He may just up and die. Wherever he is located, care for him last and then wash well and change your clothes so as not to carry infection to the other rabbits.

Many people simply euthanize a sick rabbit. It sounds heartless but a rabbit that becomes ill is often a rabbit that his not very hardy to start with and many people do not want those genes in their rabbit herd.

I rarely see a sick rabbit because I have a small closed herd... so I don't get much practice with treating them. I hope some other members who are more knowledgeable about treatments will give you some better advice. :)

I haven't had to treat any respiratory illnesses either, but I would suggest quarantining him to the best of your ability... if you absolutely can't move him, at least block the sides and back of his cage so he can't sneeze toward your other rabbits. If your feed comes in the woven plastic "Tyvek" bags, you could cut those open and drape them around his cage to prevent the spread of germs somewhat. If you poke holes in them you can use twist ties or zip ties to attach the bags to the wire of his cage so they don't flap around.

Has anyone had experience with respiratory infections? Is there much use trying to save him and will he just pass down the problem to the litters he fathers? Also I have one doe due to kindle at the end of this week. I have blocked off his cage like MamaSheepdog suggested, so he can't sneeze on her, but would it be better just to cull him before the litter arives?
Thanks,

head tilted back....that's pneumonia. quarantine. Try to keep him warm. if he starts not being able to regulate his body temperature, cull him as he's not going to survive.

In regards to treatment I have NO idea...my tendency is simply to cull them as it implies to me a weak immune system and I have no desire to deal with that. and I know from dealing with people and other animals, once you get pneumonia it is really easy to get it again.

ladysown":i6ln6p02 said:
head tilted back....that's pneumonia. quarantine. Try to keep him warm. if he starts not being able to regulate his body temperature, cull him as he's not going to survive.

In regards to treatment I have NO idea...my tendency is simply to cull them as it implies to me a weak immune system and I have no desire to deal with that. and I know from dealing with people and other animals, once you get pneumonia it is really easy to get it again.
ladysown is right. It is pneumonia no doubt about it. I have seen it. WIth in 3 days they are dead. I just cull him right away. YOu can give it to others. You shouldnt risk that. YOu can loose your whole herd over one rabbit. Keep an eye on the others that you have. It also sounds like you need more air circulating in there.

Thanks, I did cull him. I was a little sad to do it since it was the first rabbit I have lost.
The shelter we keep them in is very well ventilated. I think he may have had a problem before we got him and it showed itself in this last illness. Oh well, live and learn.
I am keeping a very close eye on my other rabbits. Do you know how long it would take for signs to show should they have gotten it?
Thanks,

Back