rabbit casserole and ricotta dumplings **pics**

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiogoatgirl

Reaction score
now i have not tried this yet... these are the recipes i am thinking of using tomorrow when i cook up my first rabbits.

the links:
the rabbit
http://www.justgamerecipes.com/gam-rabb0026.html
the dumplings
http://starchefs.com/cook/recipe/parma- ... -dumplings

the recipes:
**rabbit casserole
1 Rabbit, dressed
4 Carrots, peeled and sliced
4 Potatoes, peeled and sliced
1 pk Onion soup mix
2 1/2 c Hot water
Cut rabbit into serving pieces and wash well. Blanch rabbit by putting it into a saucepan. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Remove rabbit from the saucepan and place in a greased casserole dish. Cover rabbit with the carrots and potatoes. Mix soup with the hot water and pour over vegetables. Cover and bake at 350 F for 2 hours.

**the dumplings
¾ pound fresh ricotta cheese
1 egg plus 1 egg yolk
1 cup fine grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1 ounce all-purpose flour (1/4 cup?)
2 cups fresh soft bread crumbs
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Melted butter
Gently mix the ricotta, egg, egg yolk, Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, flour, bread crumbs, salt, and pepper, and allow the mixture to chill for 1 hour. Bring a large pot of water to a gentle boil. Roll out the dumplings on a floured surface, and cut them into 1-inch x 1-inch pieces. Place them into the water, and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Toss the dumplings in melted butter, and reserve warm until pick-up.

i will be making the dumplings with my homemade goat cheese. thinking maybe make the dumplings in chicken broth/stock instead of just water. not sure how that would change it. only dumplings i've ever made was chicken n dumplings haha. so this will be a big experiment.
the rabbit i was thinkin to make in a large roast pan. with a lid and that. to keep in all the moisture. my family isnt big on carrots so i would add more potatoes, no carrots, and was thinkin some chopped onions perhaps corn(?). and instead of the rabbits whole to cut them in sections. makin it cook more evenly(?) hopefully.

will post again when i make it. see how it goes over cookin and eatin. :)

__________ Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:36 pm __________

okay... i upped it to 3cup water, didnt add corn (we dont have any lol)... and i didnt add exra onions. looks like enough from the soup mix.

edit as i cook haha
**the dumplings
¾ pound fresh ricotta cheese (a guesstimate of amount of homemade goat cheese)
2 eggs
1 cup parmesan cheese
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups seasoned bread crumbs

break up cheese with biscuit sifter. sift in eggs, parmesan cheese, flour, bread crumbs, salt, and pepper, and allow the mixture to chill for 1 hour.
Bring a large pot of water to a gentle boil. Roll out the dumplings on a floured surface, and cut them into 1-inch x 1-inch pieces. Place them into the water, and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Toss the dumplings in melted butter.<br /><br />__________ Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:26 pm __________<br /><br />
toastedoat37":z48koaac said:
sounds good, you can can come cook for me anytime

:lol: haha... ya i get that alot...

oy vey... okay this looks good all except there is no way i am rolling this out for the dumplings... its just not a consistincy to be rolled out :/
hm.... using a tiny cookie dough scooper doohickey to scoop out the mix and then rolling that out...
fingers crossed!

haha... thanks cindi davis

__________ Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:45 pm __________

wohoo! the dumplings are a hit! they look kinda lame but everyone likes em. i think they are a bit on the bland side. maybe cook them in broth next time. and my sister suggested maybe tossin em around in a hot skillet for a minute to tan the outsides, kinda like some people do with poirogies (sp?). and everyone is sayin the rabbit smells gooooood :D<br /><br />__________ Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:48 pm __________<br /><br />finished "casserole"
rabbitdinner001.jpg

cooked dumplings... i ended up cooking them in round ball form because they wouldnt roll out to cut
rabbitdinner003.jpg

yummmmmmy :p
rabbitdinner006.jpg

i am happy to say that it was a hit and everyone ate until they were stuffed. i took what was left of the meat and scraped it from the bones. bones feed to the cats. and broth was strained and poured into ice trays to be frozen and bagged for later use. :)

Latest posts

Back