Rabbit books/ information

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ottersatin

Reaction score
I have just taken this book out of my local Library.
The title is: Great Pets By Sara Bonnett Stein.
I really hate to see the written word professed to be LAW!
I read other rabbit writings to see if I even agree with the
thoughts and opinions of the writer. I am finding much fault with this publication.
I must stand by my words that there is more than one way to skin a Cat/Rabbit.
That stated, it is hard to read words that in my mind and experience I know to be
absolutely wrong and not conducive to the proper care and feeding of a rabbit.
The first thing I noticed is the fact that the writer does not know what they are talking about though the write as if they are "all knowing". A Dutch Rabbit comes in, Black, Brown or Agouti, Golden Tan, Greys and Spotted versions. The Dutch rabbit is probably the most popular and the Albino Dutch rabbit is sold at Easter time. There is no Albino Dutch Rabbit.
What they must be talking about is a Newzealand which is often sold as A Dwarf or Dutch to the unsuspecting. Then they are pushing that old wives tale about how Rabbits must be Spayed before they are six months old to avoid Uterine Cancer. Cages should made of Chicken Wire [WRONG] and Heavy gauge hardware cloth [WRONG] for the bottom.
That old Feeds tale about: how you must have pelleted feed formulated for "Pet Rabbit"
because traditional rabbit pellets were/are designed to produce meat rabbits and are high in fat and protein. Most Pet-stores carry the pellets intended for Pet Rabbits. [HOGWASH}
You are better off with the same Pelleted Rabbit feed that any Rabbit breeder uses.
The Pet store varieties are loaded with sugary treats which will create digestive problems for any rabbit as is so often seen in Pet rabbits and rarely if ever seen in most rabbit breeders herds. I'm not done reading so I guess I will have more to say. I will say this:
Read every publication you can get your hands on, beg borrow or steal, [Don't really steal them!] but read them with a few tablespoons full of salt. Don't believe everything you read just because you saw it in black and white in a book. Learn to separate the wheat from the chaff.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Absolutely! There are a lot of books out there on just about any subject that are total hogwash. One needs to bring one's intelligence and experience - and skepticism - to the material on the printed page or website.

Latest posts

Back