Rabbit bashing Facebook page

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cattle Cait

Reaction score
I've been seeing some screenshots of a secret (hidden, have to be added by someone who's already a member) Facebook group that centers around rabbit exhibitors bashing other exhibitors.

Has anyone in the social media world heard anything about this? I was pretty disappointed to see the list of members...

Who is it here who says Facebook is evil? I'm starting to believe it.

That is sad. I sure don't want to be a member. We have enough problems with the ARA's we don't need to divide ourselves.

As many different groups as FB hosts, it wouldn't surprise me, but I haven't seen it. Sure, there are a lot of breeders who post on there and get obnoxious as all get out, but not what was described above.

I heard that it wasn't just other showers but also judges and people higher up in the line(like people in power in the ARBA).

Just sad.

Cattle Cait":301ywju0 said:
Who is it here who says Facebook is evil? I'm starting to believe it.

That's me. And I truly believe it. Other than keeping in touch with far-flung family and friends, it just gives people an anonymous platform to bash anyone they can. Bullying from the safety of their homes.

I haven't personally seen the screencaps but I've heard from people I do trust to "know" and be truthful that this horrible page exists...and that it is mostly judges/registrars bashing and ridiculing exhibitors. :( Wish we could get a list of names and report them to the ARBA...or just flatly refuse to show under judges who do these things and refuse to get rabbits registered by registrars who do it too. Might be a wake-up call for them.

PSFAngoras":2wyfupyy said:
Another reason why I don't even have a Facebook account!

I don't, either. Mark Schmuckerberg isn't getting his hands on my personal data, connections, whatever just so HE can make even more money than God on it.

Bad Habit":11t65548 said:
I heard that it wasn't just other showers but also judges and people higher up in the line(like people in power in the ARBA).

Just sad.

Sadly, that part of it is true. Some of the PTB's are annoyed that the advent of social media gives people with grievances an avenue to vent or address them in public, when before they would go largely unheard or outright dismissed. One of the district directors even made a point of griping about it in his column in the most recent issue of Domestic Rabbits.

The Good Ole Boy program that has existed at shows and in clubs for years now has a check and balance that they didn't have to deal with before, and it literally eats at them that their token judges' decisions are no longer treated as though they came from God himself.

I tend to stay away from groups like that. I'd never belong to a group that bashes others. Nuff said. Facebook is just a tool, that you use, for good or evil. I choose good.

I guess I feel indifferent about the situation. I was not part of any of those groups, but even reading through the "bully" pictures,
I guess I really feel that it's not up to me to police what other people say. A private group is a private group. Just someone added someone they shouldn't of and they got caught. I consider it no different that sitting around with friends and saying what you want. I wouldn't ever take it as far as ridiculing a child or talking about getting wasted the night before judging a show, but I'm sure nobodies hands are clean to ever say they have never made a snark comment before in their life. I don't know how many poor quality rabbits I've seen at ridiculous prices that I have thought to myself ,"Wow. Just no." and moved on. Just goes to show, don't post anything on the internet that could come back to bite you. People talk and gossip.

It's always been around.

There are nice people and then there are not so nice people. You just learn who to avoid and develop a thicker skin.

I work a job where on occasion, people do say hurtful things or go out of their way to be mean...Reality was broken when this happened just a few weeks into this job several years back because I was so used to my parents always swooping in to fight my battles or stand up for me. This lady cursed me out for no reason, over something she did, and I ran off and cried. It sucked initially, but now when those situations happen, I've become tougher and can handle the situation. Never thought to myself that I needed to go kill myself.

One of my best friends went on a church Mission Trip to the Carolinas to work the summer full time in a theater and I remember thinking to myself...well why don't they just get actual jobs here? People are't always as nice as friendly church folk. They weren't learning real life situations when people blow up,throw a fit, or just are outright rude no matter how nice you are because you are beneath them.

I remember hearing on the radio that they were thinking of not giving kids "0"'s anymore....that 50 would be the minimum so the kids wouldn't feel so bad....and then they moved about a debate that the teachers should not use red ink because it lowers self esteem....

:hmm:

I think there are things said that cannot be overlooked now that it's public, but I think that some people need to work on toughening up themselves and their kids. My best trainers and mentors have been those that don't sugar coat things. It may hurt initially, but with my personality, it drives me to do better and perfect it.

Peach, I hear what you're saying. I, too, have had jobs where I've had to put up with some ugliness from customers. I see a diffeence though, with the Facebook stuff.

Whether you're sitting around with friends or you get a nasty person in your face, once the ugly comment is said, it's over. You can go have a cry (I've done that too), and suck it up and move on. With Facebook, it's not over. The comment stays there, and a lot of times, more bullies will pile on, trying to make it uglier, trying to make it blow up. One upping each other with ugliness. Group mentality and bullying at its lowest.

That's what I think makes it so difficult for the (mostly) kids that are so affected by these events when they happen. It just doesn't go away. It's much easier to shrug off one person's opinion than a dozen. Then two dozen. And then when the ugly comments expand to other more personal areas of someone's life, I can see where someone with self esteem issues could be overwhelmed. Especially when a forum they use to express themselves is now littered with ugliness about themselves.

*steps off anti-Facebook soapbox*<br /><br />__________ Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:00 am __________<br /><br />And, wow, MC, I had not watched that video.

I am not a tin foil hat kind of person, but it doesn't really take one to be concerned about what I saw/heard there.

*more firmly convinced than ever that Facebook is evil*

Talking and gossip is one thing, no one likes it but its part of life...we deal. However, from what I understand this group just isn't about talking bad, they make literal of it. If a judge doesn't like some one, doesn't matter how good the animal its going to be dq'd/dead last for some reason or if a breeder doesn't like some one they will make sure they do what they can to give them a bad name and ruin any possibility of a sale or show career, etc. Proof that they are doing that however is nothing more than "gossip" too though :/ but given the other talking, I don't see it being far fetched. While I can understand to toughen up, that other behavior is not right and should not have a place in the rabbit community.

It appears that the ARBA Board of Directors will be seriously discussing the issue.

When "leaders" engage in this kind of conduct, it sets a very negative tone, example and precedent. It practically guarantees that others will follow, and it often destroys the ultimate mission or goals of the overall organization.

Heard about this yesterday, and its turning into a big big deal, that may impact convention. Lots of folks aren't wanting to show under judges that were part of the bashing, or have anything to do with the ring leaders of this group or those who participated. The biggest thing that turned people stomachs is that they were making fun of someones handicapped child, even calling the child degrading names. Thats enough to get my back up. Say what you want about me but pick on my kid's disability and your going to be missing body parts. Folks are calling out for ARBA to do something based on these folks representing ARBA and going against the code of ethics, I myself don't see what ARBA can do. I do know that many of these people are going to find themselves being treated like pariahs at convention, and there's been talk of possibly less exhibiters showing up if this hasn't been handled by then. Regular everyday nastiness I don't care about, bashing of a handicapped child by those in a position of power is sick and wrong.

I hear where you are coming from Peach, however, when you are a person in a position of authority, ie. an ARBA judge or district director, you are held to a higher level of accountability. There is a difference between "bashing" and what was going on in that group....of ADULTS....toward CHILDREN. And not only their rabbits, but about pictures of people's kids! Saying someone needs to work on their type is not the same as responding "OMG! Kill it quick!" to a child's picture of their favorite "show" rabbit. Also, "someone needs a lesson on how genetics work" isn't the same as "OMG...Slap a Tard" (that is their words, not mine.) I have seen the posts and let me tell you, I am appalled at these people....that one of them is a school counselor is even more mind boggling. I doesn't matter to me that it was a "private" group. That they felt they needed a private place to make fun of people is very telling. If you wouldn't say it to that person's face or in public, you should not be saying it at all. And that private group was created for the express purpose of making fun of people and their rabbits....they bragged about it and even recruited members on those grounds. If they don't already have them, ARBA needs a code of conduct for their Judges and officers.

Honorine":1210zhc1 said:
Folks are calling out for ARBA to do something based on these folks representing ARBA and going against the code of ethics, I myself don't see what ARBA can do.
ARBA can and should yank their judge's or registrar's credentials.

Whoa. What?! o_O Can I see what people are talking about? I've been lucky and have avoided all of this craziness, mainly because most of my local peeps are meat rabbit breeders or homesteaders that just take their rabbits to fairs, if they even show them.

I can understand learning to handle criticism, because ti can be very constructive, and I can understand recognizing that some people are just rude to anyone and it isn't YOU it's THEM and all that, but this is outright bullying and maybe cheating? Also? Any adult that makes fun of a kid is a messed up individual, especially if that kid is disabled. :evil: Ugh, I can't even stand that. Makes me think of people who used to make fun of my disabilities at school. I grew a thick skin, but I did deal with a lot of depression and I imagine that didn't help. No kid deserves that, especially from adults. Adults are supposed to be, well, adults and safe. Obviously.

All in all, makes me think of the monopoly that secretary I angered is running. Question her abilities as a secretary because she's been charged with animal abuse twice and suddenly everyone you know who owns rabbits is telling you to shush and she's been bothering them by asking questions about you. :shock:

Again, I REALLY think I might move into a more meat-and-pelt based operation later on, even if I do enjoy animals shows. Because I don't want to put up with that sort of BS. :angry:

Back