Rabbit Artificial Insemination

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lady

Reaction score
I've stumbled upon Rabbit AI and was wondering if this is done in the USA? All I can find is that it's in Europe. Has anyone tried a home made version of this?

never ever heard of it happening outside of a lab setting in the US. Rabbits are so darn good at breeding most of the time and don't need trailering like bigger and more common animals do. It would be nice if it were available for rare breeds, but it would proabably cost a lot of money, esp. in comparison to the cost of a buck.

Rabbits are stimulation ovulators-- They NEED the penetration to really get things going.. AI is just starting to work decently in cats-- but it requires a good veterinarian..

I've heard of it, if you do it yourself and use it fresh, I'm sure you can use it on 4-6 does in a day from one milking.
Plus, since females can mount each other and that can lead to false pregnancies, then penetration is NOT needed. I'm sure if you tap the doe several times before and after, it might work just as well as another doe mounting her.

Any links to info on it?

The problem is handling the semen and collection. Generally semen is collected in artificial vaginas, evaluated for quality and divvied up into straws and frozen, to be stored in nitrogen nearly indefinetely (if handled properly).

I did AI this year on my goats with great success... But very stressful and expensive, haha. I get all worked up. At least it was worth it! :)

AI is generally done partially or all the way through the cervix on larger animals... so it would involve penetration. With rabbits, though, it probably wouldn't involve going through the cervix and instead just involve placement of semen in the vagina. Usually this requires larger 'doses' of semen to cause conception. I'm sure you could hedge your chances by putting a cloth over the HQ of the doe so that she can be 'bred' by a live buck but not recieve any of his semen. :) You could also stimulate her as 'penetration' using a lubed Q-tip or similar.

Curious if anyone has tried AI with success? I have a situation where I'm considering how to do home-spun AI... seems like the doe does have to be stimulated? how did you do that?

Back