Rabbit 4-H musings and happenings

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Demamma

Reaction score
Daughter has livestock judging day at the fairgrounds this Saturday. We went to a meeting to learn about judging the different animals. Wow was I impressed with one young man who gave a excellent talk on judging dairy goats, meat goats and the differences. Wish we had a judge like him when my kids showed dairy goats. They were judged as meat goats so placed low at fair. Refreshing to see a young teen give a clear and knowledgeable presentation.
The presentation on rabbits was pretty crummy. Very little said. My 10 year old daughter asked me if when she is 13 if she could talk about judging rabbits as she knows more. I'm always evaluating our rabbits and when one of the kids are around I show them what the good and the bad is about the rabbit. My daughter is with the county rabbit project.
A club rabbit leader came and talked to me about my rabbits. She said a lot of the kids don't want to have Californians or New Zealand's as their meat pens. Her 4-H group wants to explore other meat breeds and other type of Rabbits. She asked if I would bring a variety of my rabbits and show the kids them.. seems there is a interest in the heritage breeds. Of course I said yes. I've also been asked to bring 4 young rabbits to the Judging on Saturday. The leader has 3 silver Fox's and needed more. Creme D'Argents are the most comparable we can come up with as in type. We figure bringing Californians to compare against silver fox would not be fair. So Saturday will be a busy morning. Will have to leave house at 6:30 am.
In 4-H I am very happy with the people I am associating with. In the past I hated 4-H. The people were not very friendly. About 7 years later and another club and I am enjoying helping. I think a big part is I'm learning to interact better and am secure in who I am. The club change helped also as I've heard from others who had trouble with the other club also. Very clickish. All in all I'm very excited about 4-H with daughter this year. The club key leader asked me to sign up as a assistant leader. They will use me wherever I'm needed. I'm also helping the county dog leader with dog training.

That sounds great. It would be nice to see more of the heritage breeds in meat pens. Please refresh my memory the Creme D'Argents are the ones that start orange/red and fade to cream correct?

Sounds good. Living in the city all my life, I have never had the opportunity to participate in $H. I do understand they have some city extension projects, but it's not like having your own animal project, which I would have never been able to do. My first encounter with 4H was something I heard on some TV show mentioned off hand.

I have a young lady asking me about SF for 4H, but I would have is blue Sf. I'm pretty sure that breeds used must be accepted ARBA breed variety. Any insight there would be great.

I know meat pens need to be purebred I assume they mean ARBA accepted but it only says purebred in our fair book.
Creme D'Argents are orange kits that silver out.
KINDLE_CAMERA_1380885133000.jpg
Camera(18).jpg
Camera(11).jpg

Back