Quick! talk me down!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eco2pia

Staff member
Reaction score
I neeeeeed a holland lop....they are sooo cute.

Ok reality check--I DO NOT have room for any more animals. On one standard city lot we have: 2 cats, a dog, 6 chickens, 2 adult and 7 junior rabbits, with another adult and subsequent juniors to be added. We are at capacity--over actually, some of the laying chickens have a date with craig's list.

A holland lop serves no purpose and, what with college and two kids, I don't have time to just love on it. I have heard they would be challenging to breed, they would be impossible to send to freezer camp and I don't have a pet market.

THEY ARE SOOOO CUTE!!! :p I am sick, I tell you....Jump in here Brody, or somebody, and remind me of how they need so many years of care and stuff.

They're cute and they're fun but they are a bear to get bred. Have you ever been to a rabbit show??? The HL's take forever (not near as long as rex, but still...). I really wanted my kids to stick with Polish or ND or Dutch. Noooo. Two of them insisted on HL. They are sweet though.

Hard to breed and serving no useful purpose? Are you sure you want one? Cute is as cute does.

Tell yourself if you still want one when you're finished college that you will reward yourself then.

(That didn't help a bit, did it?)

Holland Lops are a waste of fur. They are vermin.

There is over population at the shows. The best one could hope for is 7th place out 19 in Junior Buck class.

It takes way too many of them to make a meal.

I hope that helps.

Have a joyful day!

rabbitgeek":3p827zri said:
Holland Lops are a waste of fur. They are vermin.

There is over population at the shows. The best one could hope for is 7th place out 19 in Junior Buck class.

It takes way too many of them to make a meal.

I hope that helps.

Have a joyful day!

I think this applies to Mini Rex too.

Maybe get a Frenchie instead? Same cute face on an edible body. Also much more satisfying to pull out of the cage for hugging.

eco2pia":363v81t6 said:
I neeeeeed a holland lop....they are sooo cute.

Ok reality check--I DO NOT have room for any more animals. On one standard city lot we have: 2 cats, a dog, 6 chickens, 2 adult and 7 junior rabbits, with another adult and subsequent juniors to be added. We are at capacity--over actually, some of the laying chickens have a date with craig's list.

A holland lop serves no purpose and, what with college and two kids, I don't have time to just love on it. I have heard they would be challenging to breed, they would be impossible to send to freezer camp and I don't have a pet market.

THEY ARE SOOOO CUTE!!! :p I am sick, I tell you....Jump in here Brody, or somebody, and remind me of how they need so many years of care and stuff.

I'm in the same boat. :/ Looking for the perfect forever home for my beautiful Flemish Giant "attack rabbit". (We joke, she's the yard rabbit and since she's the size of a Rottweiler...)

It's tough to make these decisions, but on limited space, the superflous pets are the first to go. Better to not get it in the first place than be in my situation and have to get rid of it.

Yep, just think of all the animals you have and all the time it takes to care for them:

"2 cats, a dog, 6 chickens, 2 adult and 7 junior rabbits, with another adult and subsequent juniors to be added"

If you want the HL to be a house rabbit, just think of all the bunny-proofing and training you will have to do... and your bun might still kill itself on a forgotten wire!

Even if not, where are you going to put it? You don't have anywhere... you already said you're over capacity. AND... you are about to ditch useful laying hens, while considering acquiring a rabbit whose only purpose is to be cute and pettable! :chair:

If you were to continue to think about getting a HL, you would really need to consider getting rid of the cats first. Unless the cats are providing a service, like mousing. Unless the dog is a shih-tsu or something equally superfluous, it is providing something of a service.

Remember: superfluous, purposeless animals should take a backseat to those that provide food or security, especially in times like these! :viking:

Reasons to get a Holland Lop:
It's cute

Reasons not to get a Holland Lop:
It's useless
It's a waste of space and resources
It has about as much meat as a squirrel, and would be just as much fun to eat
You can't eat it, because it's too cute and you can't kill it
You have too many animals already
You don't have enough space
You have two kids that need an expensive education
You don't have time to love on it
You have no market for breeding them
You might have to bunny-proof your house, which is worse than child-proofing your house
Your cats and/or your dog might not like it, or they might like it too much and use it as a chew toy or snack
You might be tempted to pay high vet bills to keep it healthy

There... did I help? :p

didn't cure me.

I have to tell you...a holland lop that is angry is just funny! Ears floppy, mini rabbit that is all attitude...funny bunny.

They are NOT useless - that laugh factor has to count for something.
They are quite edible. Just like any rabbit is. on the odd occasion that I do one up for myself they make an excellent soup. Most of the time if I do one up though...it goes for critter food.

I don't find them hard to breed at all ...except for TWO of my currently eight does. Like with anything...breed for it. Hard to breed...get rid of it. And sometimes it's just a matter of getting to know that particular rabbit. One doe...I bring the buck to her. If I do her to the buck she gets all attitudinal. The other...I wait for her to chase my hand and then go "OH...you want a date do you?" makes it easy. Doesn't chase my hand...forget breeding her it just ain't gonna happen.

and just like any rabbit...if you have a bunch of them staring you in the face for the next big food bill...it's not that hard to get rid of them.

MIND... 95% of mine sell within one week of posting them on Kijiji. They sell FAST.

IF you live close to or in a major centre they can totally pay your feed bill.

NOW>>> do you know why I keep them around? (other than the total laugh factor?)

OH...HOLD on...I'm supposed to come up with reasons why NOT to have a holland lop.

Your sides might hurt when you laugh at it too much? :)

I love HL .. Lola was sone of my favourite bunnies character wise of all time ... that said .. I am BIG on taking the best care of the animals you have that you can ... and you have a very full plate :)

eh...I dispise them (but only because they are utterly adorable and I try to make a point of being uber practical...someone has to be, and hubby is a sucker for cuteness...HEY! THAT"S IT! to get him t love rabbitsa, I just have to get one of those!!!)

But I have never been into the lop thing, anyways. I don't get it. But I like their smushed faces. Makes them look like perpetual kits. :)

Thanks, Miss M wins the prize. I think I can hold off....the cats are 17 and 12, they wont live forever. I don't have a major metropolitan area near by, I really don't have a good market. I really doubt I could freezer camp one.

But Ladysown wins the enabler prize!! Ah, the wittle airplane ears, the peek-a-boo eyes, the chunky cheeks...Some day, if I move to Seattle, and have to get rid of all the "farm" critters after college...

ladysown":217glb4q said:
OH...HOLD on...I'm supposed to come up with reasons why NOT to have a holland lop.

Your sides might hurt when you laugh at it too much? :)
Ladysown... you're not helping!!! :lol: You're supposed to be "talking her down", not pushing her off the bridge!! :roll:<br /><br />__________ Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:33 pm __________<br /><br />I confess, I don't actually have anything against Hollands, and I'm sure you could eat one if you could bring yourself to slaughter it. But I do have to be really practical here. I can't have a house rabbit, and I don't have room in my little rabbitry for a pet. In spite of that fact, I have two -- our retired buck Thumper, and a dwarf something that hitched a ride with my newest doe.

But Eco2pia wanted us to talk her out of it, so I did my best to oblige. :)

Ah!!! Smushed faces!!! NOT a genetically sound design-- prone to sinus issues, tooth issues-- see, two more reasons NOT to get a HL.....

Uh-oh, I gave in to the temptation and googled "holland lop images"...they are so, so, so, cute. I will have to get one---some day. When the cats are gone. Maybe when the kids move out and I get empty nest syndrome--I'll have a spare room! :p

Unbelievably cute.

Latest posts

Back