quick shed...under $100

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen these used as chicken coops on BYC. A nice and quick way to get a shed up. It would sure make a nice greenhouse as well.

I got his plans yesterday or the day before, I was thinking if I covered it with shade cloth.
it would be good for the summer around here. and use a tarp in the winter, as we do not get snow.
we only get wind and little rain.

That's awesome! If you only run the tarp halfway down you get nice airflow. If I was sticking with all metal cages I would consider this. Maybe I can make a greenhouse anyhow...

CWD":16n2i8dg said:
I got his plans yesterday or the day before, I was thinking if I covered it with shade cloth.
it would be good for the summer around here. and use a tarp in the winter, as we do not get snow.
we only get wind and little rain.

How high of wind? I'm not sure I'd totally trust my rabbits in a structure like this without some reinforcement in a high wind area.

Mary, near the end he talks about how the roundness of the structure helps the wind slid over the sides ... the ends are small enough that it shouldn't catch so much wind that it will tip the structure over, but if you are worried about that, sink stakes or tposts at the corners and wire the bottom of the structure to the post :D I have built all kinds of things from cattle panels and they are structurally strong ... I have cut pieces for the cage support on my shed frames.

Any ideas on how you could make this work for climates that get a nice amount of snow in the winter? This looks like something I could possibly do myself or at least get my step-dad to make for me.

Mary the wind around here usally is in the 20 to 30 mph range with gust upto 50 mph.
I was thinking about making some U shape stakes out of 5/8 rebar to drive over the edge boards about 18 inches into the ground
3 on each side. this should hold it in place. my biggest concerns are how the trap noise would effect the rabbits when the wind is blowing. I have been thinking about making 2 or 3. one for the rabbits and 2 for storage. I have even been thinking about pouring a cement floor in the one I would build for the rabbits.

I have a buddy thaT has built several of this type of shelter for her poultry business--(each breed gets its own tractor) And they DO support a lot of snow weight. In winter, she lines them up on the leeward side of a barn, (safety concerns for feeding and water). For summer use, she has poultry wire on the lower half, and rolls up the tarp for ventilation. (Silver out) Another neighbor raises broilers in some-- they are in a very open field, and do not appear to be affected by most of the winds we have here. They may be anchored, as they are not moved on a regular basis. That neighbor uses the cheap blue tarps. I am 5'7" and they are tall enough for me to stand comfortably inside. Still have to duck through the doors...

from what I have read in the plans I have. the inside height is about 6'2" and the top of the door opening is around 5'9". they are about 8'X 10' if you use 2 panels. and 8'X 15' if you use 3 panels.
the lenght is only limited by how many panels you use, however I guess the with size would always be 8'
unless you could find longer panels. still not a bad size shed for around $100.00

I wouldn't trust this with snow or high wind. Could stake it down for wind, but snow may end up smooshing it.

My tarp shed held up under wind and snow with more or less this design. My roof had less support and I did end up using a broom on the ceiling (inside) to push the snow off the roof.

Latest posts

Back