Quick! Anyone ever caught a wild swarm of honeybees?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MamaSheepdog

Reaction score
I'm doing a google search now, but any tips from y'all would be appreciated!

I found a perfectly placed swarm on a low hanging branch of an oak tree about a half mile away, and want to go get them! :p

If you've got an old hive body with frames, set it right under the swarm. Sharply wrap the limb they're on and they'll fall into the box. The queen is in the center of the swarm. Once the queen goes down into the box, the swarm will follow her and re-cluster around her.

(if the branch is low enough use a good pair of hand pruners and cut the branch. Then just lay the branch on the top of the box. The bees will go into it pretty quick.)

Usually swarms are very docile. I've not handled any the past 10 or 12 years. They'll need supplemental feeding with sugar water.

grumpy.

My friend has about 25 hives and routinely picks them up from people who want them out of their yard. He will cut the tree limb off if he can get to it and bare handed carry the limb to his truck and put them in the hive when he gets home. He's crazy. Use grumpy's method.

Score!!!

I got them, with nary a sting! *Pats self on back smugly*

I'll post pics soon, but I have to go check on a rabbit who was having trouble today.

I had about 14 hives at one time...many, many years ago. My only concerns for MSD was her location and I wasn't sure how far the Africanized bees may have penetrated her area.

Swarms, as a general rule, are very docile and extremely easy to handle. Add to that, bees have taken it on the chin for the past couple of decades with diseases and mites. It's rare to find a swarm nowadays. Given the proper care, this swarm should serve MSD well for years to come. I got calls all of the time to capture swarms. I just gave my name and number to local law enforcement and they'd be Johnny-Quick to call me when the received a complaint.

Bees are cool little creatures. I used to spend hours upon end making all of the hive equipment myself. It was a great way to quietly pass the time.

grumpy

:shock: You're the only person I know that will go chase after a bunch of wild bee's...Most people would run away...most sane people anyway. Congrats on catching them, unfortunately they are becoming sort of rare around here. I hope everything goes well with them. Please keep us posted.

MamaSheepdog":3n4huy97 said:
I found a perfectly placed swarm on a low hanging branch of an oak tree about a half mile away, and want to go get them! :p
I have noticed about 3 swarms like that this year in the orange groves around here, thinking it must be a good year for the bees? :muscles:

Latest posts

Back