Questions for people who use a pellet pistol for dispatch please

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jani

Reaction score
So I have a very aggressive adult sf doe (a 12 lb beauty who acts like a beast) that has to go, heretofore I have always used a hopper popper (many many many times without incident or error) but it just won't work I can't even pick up the doe without her screaming let alone get her positioned in the popper. I got the brilliant idea to dispatch some kits a week or so early to get my confidence back to at least try broomstick method but even with a quiet animal now if they so much as squirm I can't go forward. Which I know is ridiculous and I should just find my big girl panties!

Truth is I have never ever enjoyed dispatch, I only do it out of necessity as I am determined to breed up so I do cull heavy. And my family, dogs, cats, chickens and garden certainly enjoy and benefit from rabbit output so I feel better about it then commercial meat. They have good lives, the best death I can manage and nothing goes to waste. But i really DO hate dispatch, at the same time feel I should be the one to do it. And now because of this very unusually nasty doe (I mean violently aggressive, no idea where it came from) I feel like I can't dispatch anyone now! It is funny, I actually find death throws comforting as I KNOW they are gone and bleeding out and dressing doesn't bother me in the least.. and I am so fast at dressing the heart is often beating. So I find that most inconsistent that actually killing bothers me! Because I don't mind dressing in the least (though I can't say it is fun)- I do like the cooking and eating part very much!

So, after a ton of debate I decided to acquire a crosman 22 "american classic" pellet pistol with lead free 22 pellets. Now, I have never EVER used a gun of any kind before so I have questions. First can I use it point blank and is it ok to hold the rabbit (facing OUT duh) between my knees and shoot from the back between her ears towards her mouth? Is that going to be about 100% effective on one shot? Is it SAFE to do that? Should the rabbit really be in a box or something in case the pellet goes right through? Maybe a hay bale in front of her to stop the bullet and prevent her leaping forward at the last second? Do I need to use both hands and keep my elbows straight for the recoil as I have heard some people say it is fine to use one hand and im kind of thinking I won't be able to keep the rabbit still without kneeling and a treat to keep her busy- as it is we are practicing and I am holding a stick behind her head. In order to straighten and lock my arms I have to lean back quite a bit. So I am trying to figure out the kinetics of this and how to keep the rabbit 100% relaxed and still so I can aim in exactly the right place (have I at least got that part right? Because i kind of thought using it like a pellet gun downwards from the "X" in the middle of forehead might be better as the bullet would end up in the floor or would that maybe wind up in my face??) and not have a miss if she jumps, I want her unaware and hopefully instantly DEAD without injuring or damaging anything or putting my neighbors (town lots, surrounded by duplexes and townhomes) on high alert. Which also brings to mind, can I do this business in my unfinished basement (open space, concrete floor and cinder block walls circa 1953.) Where I can hopefully conceal any noise and be 100% sure there are no wandering children, wildlife, pets etc?? I am a nurse, I have seen first hand how even kids bb guns can be very dangerous. I would feel beyond awful if I missed and hurt rather then killed a rabbit but I can't imagine how awful it would be to hit an unintended target.

I never knew anything about any of this before, apparently guns were a huge hobby during covid and folks were "plinking" (which i think is target shooting tin cans?) in their basements with this gun when paranoid people were staying out of fresh air-and apparently it is not too loud. But if it is strong enough to kill a rabbit I expect it can do some serious damage.

I also have a penetrating bolt gun, but again, I am scared to use it as I have read there is a learning curve. Well I don't want to hurt any animal, I am paranoid about missing and having any animal suffering. Plus, a local old timer looked at it and said it wouldn't kill one of my large rabbits (the bolt is hollow, about 1.5" long and has an angled tip- r dick made it, it has a black wrist strap but I don't have to box anymore to tell the model number. The farmer thought it was a stun gun not strong enough to penetrate a rabbit skull and the bolt part was not long enough). He said MAYBE I could use it on a young kit that was beyond saving. I would actually like to know if I could use that too as it seems like a safer solution in general. But I am super scared of missing from the horror stories I read! In a perfect world I would use that and keep the pellet gun on standby as a back up. Again I can't afford to screw up on any animal, this doe in particular would likely tear my eyes out and and scream loud enough to wake the dead if she ACTUALLY was suffering. Just giving her food and water (and she has never ever been mistreated and is clear of any ailment or injury on vet check) is a major ordeal of teeth and nails and if she is restrained from attacking in any way she screams blue murder. I don't get it mom is a sweet thing and dad is the best kindest most friendly rabbit I have EVER seen so where pure evil came from is a complete mystery. Suffice it to say she has a screw loose and has since a tiny kit. I am curious to see what her insides look like, as I would like some reasonable explanation of where this violence came from in my lines which I am very careful about.

Help and advice much appreciated, honestly I am now overthinking and having second thoughts I can even manage to do it this way, when I just fully convinced when I bought the gun it was the kindest, fastest and most instant way. I have lost so much confidence with this frankly nasty doe I am at my wits end! I just can't find any real "how to videos" online and I know I won't have any confidence until I can envision or picture exactly how I am supposed to do this correctly and get it over with FINALLY!

TYVM

Whenever we need to put a rabbit down my mom uses a rifle (at least, I think that's what it is, I know it's a gun), I don't know if this works for bigger breeds (I have Netherlands) but I use a cage top (from floor cages) to take them outside, set the rabbit on the ground under it, and my mom puts the end of it on the back of their heads
I've never had any of them scream during it and all that happens is waiting for the body to stop squirming

Whenever we need to put a rabbit down my mom uses a rifle (at least, I think that's what it is, I know it's a gun), I don't know if this works for bigger breeds (I have Netherlands) but I use a cage top (from floor cages) to take them outside, set the rabbit on the ground under it, and my mom puts the end of it on the back of their heads
I've never had any of them scream during it and all that happens is waiting for the body to stop squirming
I love netherlands! My first house bunny as a kid was a little brown ND named Buster, litter trained snuggle bunny. I dream of having a nice little house rabbit like him again one day!

Now, I have never EVER used a gun of any kind before so I have questions. First can I use it point blank and is it ok to hold the rabbit (facing OUT duh) between my knees and shoot from the back between her ears towards her mouth? Is that going to be about 100% effective on one shot? Is it SAFE to do that? Should the rabbit really be in a box or something in case the pellet goes right through?

Hi, what's the power rating of the air pistol? Compared to air rifles they are normally rather weak, but if the pellet goes half an inch into a soft wood board I would consider it strong enough for the job at point blank range. I did prefer a .22lr pistol though. Anyway, practice with any gun until you get the hang of it before using it.

Putting the rabbit between your legs, facing away from you and aiming from the back of the head forward to the mouth is safe, although you need to be sure you handle the gun properly and safe - no nervous fumbling, no pointing it at your knee, no finger on the trigger.

By now I use a DIY captured bolt gun, bolt extends 1" and is 6mm - a little less than 1/4", about the same as a .22 - in diameter, works relieable. It is definitly much, much stronger than it would need to be, to cock it I have to step on the handle and pull with both hands.
With the bolt gun I draw an X from eyes to ears, and aim straight down. Yes, there can be a learning curve - hence the flat iron bar or heavy army knive as a backup method, some blows to the head finish the job for sure. I had one rabbit flinch in the wrong moment and the bolt missed the brain.
Although it isn't really necessary I don't just relay on hitting a vital spot but move the bolt in circles violently to be sure.

Usually I put something in front of me, - a bale and soft ground would be perfect if a projectile is used, with the bolt gun I now just use a wall, or corner - and put a small bowl with treats there. I prepare the gun and put a flat iron bar in an easy to reach spot.
Then I get the rabbit, knee down and place the rabbit between my legs, and keep preventing it from leaving until it gets cool enough to eat the treats or to just stop moving long enough.
Giving treats that way a few times as preperation and then letting it hop away or return it to the cage might help.

While chewing most times they don't mind when I put something against their head.

Last edited:
460 fps if it's this one . . .
https://www.crosman.com/crosman-american-classic-22

I've never dispatched a rabbit with a gun up close, only at a distance while hunting so take the following with a ton of sodium.

I'm comfortable with guns. I only say that to say this. If that rabbit is as bad as you say I would not have it between my legs with a gun, even an air pistol. The way you describe that rabbit it could turn around and try and take the gun, and who needs that? Look at my avatar, rabbits can be vicious creatures. I kid.

Please consider doing the cage on the ground with treats or something that doesn't have any part of your body close by. If the ground is all dirt it will absorb the pellet if there is an exit wound. Most importantly you will be out of harms way if the rabbit makes a sudden movement or something else goes awry.

As @Preitler mentioned the handgun has less power than a rifle. My guess is a well placed shot with the .22 pellet close to the skull will do the job. Also a good idea is practicing with it and checking the penetration in wood.

I would confirm from several sources on the placement and angle of the shot. Here are some xrays . . .

https://www.google.com/search?sca_esv=0dc2904424ef13c1&sxsrf=ADLYWIKN_B_T-_DgT23_f6_i7UIQv099cw:1723961786739&q=meat+rabbit+xray+of+the+head&udm=2&source=univ&fir=emVDiqwAA3mXlM%2Ci0YHHMuJBy9B_M%2C_%3B7Iq6UZOo8r42zM%2C2XeQ7WBQ-oTSTM%2C_%3BjIJOcDB0c_KAdM%2CHpdvMpkc_1gW4M%2C_%3BSJNw9lD7q-bCeM%2CCLsIaF3Dt0DrUM%2C_%3BesprhMQiTDSYWM%2CCLsIaF3Dt0DrUM%2C_%3Be2Bn8zRHyB7hyM%2C83pWNAwubC7ETM%2C_%3BkZsWuKlPncmypM%2CYN7vVvh3_CmK1M%2C_%3BMHFJAXjjODg4qM%2Ck7ZD4drKyc3CUM%2C_%3BCJJ9wtQCUenxuM%2C2XeQ7WBQ-oTSTM%2C_&usg=AI4_-kR9ZE-BFpmdqnRLl6m86rA-89sINA&biw=2335&bih=1207&dpr=1.1

Wishing you the best of luck. Cheers.

So I have a very aggressive adult sf doe (a 12 lb beauty who acts like a beast) that has to go, heretofore I have always used a hopper popper (many many many times without incident or error) but it just won't work I can't even pick up the doe without her screaming let alone get her positioned in the popper. I got the brilliant idea to dispatch some kits a week or so early to get my confidence back to at least try broomstick method but even with a quiet animal now if they so much as squirm I can't go forward. Which I know is ridiculous and I should just find my big girl panties!

Truth is I have never ever enjoyed dispatch, I only do it out of necessity as I am determined to breed up so I do cull heavy. And my family, dogs, cats, chickens and garden certainly enjoy and benefit from rabbit output so I feel better about it then commercial meat. They have good lives, the best death I can manage and nothing goes to waste. But i really DO hate dispatch, at the same time feel I should be the one to do it. And now because of this very unusually nasty doe (I mean violently aggressive, no idea where it came from) I feel like I can't dispatch anyone now! It is funny, I actually find death throws comforting as I KNOW they are gone and bleeding out and dressing doesn't bother me in the least.. and I am so fast at dressing the heart is often beating. So I find that most inconsistent that actually killing bothers me! Because I don't mind dressing in the least (though I can't say it is fun)- I do like the cooking and eating part very much!

So, after a ton of debate I decided to acquire a crosman 22 "american classic" pellet pistol with lead free 22 pellets. Now, I have never EVER used a gun of any kind before so I have questions. First can I use it point blank and is it ok to hold the rabbit (facing OUT duh) between my knees and shoot from the back between her ears towards her mouth? Is that going to be about 100% effective on one shot? Is it SAFE to do that? Should the rabbit really be in a box or something in case the pellet goes right through? Maybe a hay bale in front of her to stop the bullet and prevent her leaping forward at the last second? Do I need to use both hands and keep my elbows straight for the recoil as I have heard some people say it is fine to use one hand and im kind of thinking I won't be able to keep the rabbit still without kneeling and a treat to keep her busy- as it is we are practicing and I am holding a stick behind her head. In order to straighten and lock my arms I have to lean back quite a bit. So I am trying to figure out the kinetics of this and how to keep the rabbit 100% relaxed and still so I can aim in exactly the right place (have I at least got that part right? Because i kind of thought using it like a pellet gun downwards from the "X" in the middle of forehead might be better as the bullet would end up in the floor or would that maybe wind up in my face??) and not have a miss if she jumps, I want her unaware and hopefully instantly DEAD without injuring or damaging anything or putting my neighbors (town lots, surrounded by duplexes and townhomes) on high alert. Which also brings to mind, can I do this business in my unfinished basement (open space, concrete floor and cinder block walls circa 1953.) Where I can hopefully conceal any noise and be 100% sure there are no wandering children, wildlife, pets etc?? I am a nurse, I have seen first hand how even kids bb guns can be very dangerous. I would feel beyond awful if I missed and hurt rather then killed a rabbit but I can't imagine how awful it would be to hit an unintended target.

I never knew anything about any of this before, apparently guns were a huge hobby during covid and folks were "plinking" (which i think is target shooting tin cans?) in their basements with this gun when paranoid people were staying out of fresh air-and apparently it is not too loud. But if it is strong enough to kill a rabbit I expect it can do some serious damage.

I also have a penetrating bolt gun, but again, I am scared to use it as I have read there is a learning curve. Well I don't want to hurt any animal, I am paranoid about missing and having any animal suffering. Plus, a local old timer looked at it and said it wouldn't kill one of my large rabbits (the bolt is hollow, about 1.5" long and has an angled tip- r dick made it, it has a black wrist strap but I don't have to box anymore to tell the model number. The farmer thought it was a stun gun not strong enough to penetrate a rabbit skull and the bolt part was not long enough). He said MAYBE I could use it on a young kit that was beyond saving. I would actually like to know if I could use that too as it seems like a safer solution in general. But I am super scared of missing from the horror stories I read! In a perfect world I would use that and keep the pellet gun on standby as a back up. Again I can't afford to screw up on any animal, this doe in particular would likely tear my eyes out and and scream loud enough to wake the dead if she ACTUALLY was suffering. Just giving her food and water (and she has never ever been mistreated and is clear of any ailment or injury on vet check) is a major ordeal of teeth and nails and if she is restrained from attacking in any way she screams blue murder. I don't get it mom is a sweet thing and dad is the best kindest most friendly rabbit I have EVER seen so where pure evil came from is a complete mystery. Suffice it to say she has a screw loose and has since a tiny kit. I am curious to see what her insides look like, as I would like some reasonable explanation of where this violence came from in my lines which I am very careful about.

Help and advice much appreciated, honestly I am now overthinking and having second thoughts I can even manage to do it this way, when I just fully convinced when I bought the gun it was the kindest, fastest and most instant way. I have lost so much confidence with this frankly nasty doe I am at my wits end! I just can't find any real "how to videos" online and I know I won't have any confidence until I can envision or picture exactly how I am supposed to do this correctly and get it over with FINALLY!

TYVM
Same here on just about everything you wrote, right down to a nasty SF doe (although mine is younger, 4 1/2 months old but almost 8 lbs already AND I have her full brother who is as sweet as can be)!

I actually have to dispatch 10 here shortly, my last mixed adult and her 12 week old litter of 9. We've only got a couple of dispatches under our belts so far using the hopper popper and I wasn't really comfortable with it so vowed to use a pellet gun today. I have a .22 pellet rifle on hand and borrowed a .177 handgun. I want to use a .22 handgun but the other half found it to be malfunctioning when tested the other day so I have one on order but it won't be here in time for today's. 😞 I hope the .177 handgun will suffice but the .22 pellet long gun will be on standby for a backup.

I bought a couple of milk crates just for this purpose, plan to put hay in it then their favor spring mix for them to munch for a minute before they meet their demise. We have two gambrils set up so we can work side by side, two at a time to speed things up.

I think the majority of us really dread the dispatch part, I too don't have any issues doing the butchering but the dispatch...😭. You are far from alone on that aspect.

I'll provide an update later tonight on what worked, what challenges we run into, and any other insights I can provide. Wish us luck, I just want the most humane and least stress dispatches for both our buns and us.

So I have a very aggressive adult sf doe (a 12 lb beauty who acts like a beast) that has to go, heretofore I have always used a hopper popper (many many many times without incident or error) but it just won't work I can't even pick up the doe without her screaming let alone get her positioned in the popper. I got the brilliant idea to dispatch some kits a week or so early to get my confidence back to at least try broomstick method but even with a quiet animal now if they so much as squirm I can't go forward. Which I know is ridiculous and I should just find my big girl panties! ...

how I am supposed to do this correctly and get it over with FINALLY!

TY`
@jani you are overthinking this and too emotionally invested. DO NOT use a pellet gun or other firearm. From your description, it won't go well.

First suggestion: You are obviously having difficulty, so give the rabbit to someone else to dispatch.
Second suggestion: If you must do it yourself, then just get it done. The most humane and compassionate thing to do is to dispatch this rabbit ASAP. You need to control the rabbit. Make a lasso out of large cord or small rope. Place this over the rabbits head so you can control the biting, etc. Use heavy gloves to handle your rabbit. Place in the hopper popper and proceed with the dispatch. The screaming WILL stop.

Since there will be a lot of adrenaline and other stress hormones being produced by the rabbit (and a lot of emotion on your part), I would not process it for human consumption (tough, chewy, off-taste). Instead, bag it (whole) and place it in garbage to be picked up in the morning. Just get rid of it. You win some; lose some.

This may sound overly harsh, but in animal husbandry, every once in awhile you just need to cover your losses as humanely and compassionately as you can - and then move on..............

Same here on just about everything you wrote, right down to a nasty SF doe (although mine is younger, 4 1/2 months old but almost 8 lbs already AND I have her full brother who is as sweet as can be)!

I actually have to dispatch 10 here shortly, my last mixed adult and her 12 week old litter of 9. We've only got a couple of dispatches under our belts so far using the hopper popper and I wasn't really comfortable with it so vowed to use a pellet gun today. I have a .22 pellet rifle on hand and borrowed a .177 handgun. I want to use a .22 handgun but the other half found it to be malfunctioning when tested the other day so I have one on order but it won't be here in time for today's. 😞 I hope the .177 handgun will suffice but the .22 pellet long gun will be on standby for a backup.

I bought a couple of milk crates just for this purpose, plan to put hay in it then their favor spring mix for them to munch for a minute before they meet their demise. We have two gambrils set up so we can work side by side, two at a time to speed things up.

I think the majority of us really dread the dispatch part, I too don't have any issues doing the butchering but the dispatch...😭. You are far from alone on that aspect.

I'll provide an update later tonight on what worked, what challenges we run into, and any other insights I can provide. Wish us luck, I just want the most humane and least stress dispatches for both our buns and us.
** UPDATE **

Pellet gun is definitely the way to go for me and my better half agrees as well. We did all 10 with the .177 pellet handgun. Our rabbitry is a building with a deck built on the front. We have 4x4 inch high posts on each far corner of the deck with brackets where our gambrils hang. I went into the rabbitry and removed one rabbit and set into the hay lined milk crate and carried him out to my better half and I walked back in to get another rabbit in the second milk crate. By the time I came back out, the first was already dispatched and being hung to process. I pet and calmed the second rabbit I brought out and when pretty still, I dispatched and hung. We each butchered our rabbits and continued the same cycle four more times till all ten were done. I did remove any bloody hay in between rabbits from the crates.

I do think a .22 would be preferred over the .177, there were two that we weren't 100% certain it was perfect so we quickly shot again. Honestly, they probably were gone but why take any chances? (My .22 pellet handgun gets delivered next week but I won't be processing again for a couple of months.) There is some blood but not excessive from the shot although I would suspect more with a .22. We found doing it point blank more from the top, front edge of ears, centered, pointed slightly towards their mouths (they were facing away from us) worked well, instant death throws and I did immediately touch eyes after each to verify.

I do recommend the CO2 cartridge powered gun over the pump and if you do not have a revolver style that has multiple shots, maybe have a second one on hand for immediate follow up if you feel you may have missed the mark and are worried about reload speed. I forsee getting another one or two over time to try different styles. We're all individuals and will have different preferences.

I would recommend doing it outside versus your basement though solely for safety reasons and, honestly, the pellet gun was surprisingly quiet.

Lastly, I do believe it is less stressful/fearful for the rabbit and for those of us that struggle more with the "personal" touch of the multitude of cervical dislocation methods. There is also no bruising of the shoulders as well.

Just my personal experience so hope it helps.

I think @Bekah-n-Tennessee does a great job of running through the experience! While we usually use either a hopper popper or a blunt object, the aim described by @Bekah-n-Tennessee, "point blank more from the top, front edge of ears, centered, pointed slightly towards their mouths (they were facing away from us)," or @TomO 's version, "aiming from the back of the head forward to the mouth," have both worked for us. I also 100% agree with @Preitler and @TomO that practice will be invaluable. In fact, getting comfortable handling and using guns safely can make the world safer for you and those around you, well beyond the world of rabbit harvesting.

I would stay away from using a lasso around the neck of the rabbit. Rabbits don't understand neck restraints at all. If you want to reduce stress, that most likely will not further that aim, and if you do have to jerk the rope in response to a threat of injury by the rabbit, you may end up slowly strangling it, or causing it to break its own neck or back when it predictably flips out. I agree with @TomO and @Bekah-n-Tennessee that putting the rabbit in some sort of enclosure on a lawn or on dirt is a good way to go, especially if you and/or the rabbit are nervous. Choose an enclosure as small as possible, which will confine the rabbit without producing panic or allowing it to thrash about, hitting the sides and possibly breaking its back. Treats may also be helpful in calming the animal.

For my part, I absolutely would not throw away the carcass! A short period of stress in a rabbit before dispatch is not the same as running a game animal for hours before the kill. We've never seen any noticeable effect on the meat of a less-than-ideally-dispatched rabbit (other than bloodspotting from a misplaced blow), though unfortunately we have had some of those events when training new meat breeders to harvest their animals. I am one with most here in dreading the actual dispatch, but in my view, disposing of the carcass as garbage would be like salt in the wound; I'd rather have the animal serve some better purpose than filling a landfill. I'm not one that thanks the animal for its sacrifice (I thank God, actually), but it just doesn't sit right to waste food, the animal's life, or anything else, if there's an alternative.

I also don't think there's any dishonor in asking someone else to dispatch this particular animal. Doing hard things can make you stronger, but there is wisdom in picking your battles.

Hang in there!

Last edited:
It sounds like your rabbit has really got you psyched out and I know that's a bad state of mind when it comes to dealing with dispatching. I've been there. I'm really sorry this freaky rabbit has done this to you. Everybody here has given really excellent advice. I'll just throw in my 2 cents for what it's worth.

I've had to dispatch really jumpy rabbits and used the Hopper Popper with help from a second person. I picked up the rabbit by the scruff and hand legs, carried it to the HP and transferred the back legs to another person while I held the scruff and put the head in the HP. The person holding the legs did the dispatch.

If I felt that my only option was to use a gun to dispatch I would proceed by grabbing the rabbit by the scruff and hind legs, immediately put the rabbit on the ground and hold it there by pressing firmly on the back, using your left hand if you are a righty. I personally have never had any rabbit continue to struggle that way and it will lay it's head down facing forward. You can then use your right hand to put the gun firmly on the skull in the center of the X position, pointing straight down into the ground (just dirt and/or grass, no cement because projectiles can ricochet). Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire. Using any kind of gun while a squirming rabbit is in your lap is asking to get hurt. Don't worry about the sound carrying too far. It's really not that loud and one pop will not even give people a second thought.

A third method is to subdue the rabbit as above and then use a hammer to the back of the skull. I think that would be my preferred method over a pellet gun. It's a sure thing in my experience.

However, as @Alaska Satin said, there's no dishonor in asking someone else to do it. Just get rid of that rabbit, have a cup of tea, be calm and move on.

It sounds like your rabbit has really got you psyched out and I know that's a bad state of mind when it comes to dealing with dispatching. I've been there. I'm really sorry this freaky rabbit has done this to you. Everybody here has given really excellent advice. I'll just throw in my 2 cents for what it's worth.

I've had to dispatch really jumpy rabbits and used the Hopper Popper with help from a second person. I picked up the rabbit by the scruff and hand legs, carried it to the HP and transferred the back legs to another person while I held the scruff and put the head in the HP. The person holding the legs did the dispatch.

If I felt that my only option was to use a gun to dispatch I would proceed by grabbing the rabbit by the scruff and hind legs, immediately put the rabbit on the ground and hold it there by pressing firmly on the back, using your left hand if you are a righty. I personally have never had any rabbit continue to struggle that way and it will lay it's head down facing forward. You can then use your right hand to put the gun firmly on the skull in the center of the X position, pointing straight down into the ground (just dirt and/or grass, no cement because projectiles can ricochet). Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire. Using any kind of gun while a squirming rabbit is in your lap is asking to get hurt. Don't worry about the sound carrying too far. It's really not that loud and one pop will not even give people a second thought.

A third method is to subdue the rabbit as above and then use a hammer to the back of the skull. I think that would be my preferred method over a pellet gun. It's a sure thing in my experience.

However, as @Alaska Satin said, there's no dishonor in asking someone else to do it. Just get rid of that rabbit, have a cup of tea, be calm and move on.
All of that sounds so aggressive 😭

Yes I use a co2 powered handgun to dispatch our rabbits. I set them in a pen on the ground. A cardboard box would work also. And aim twards center of forehead. The rabbits die instantly. Then remove the head and set upside down them in a used milk jug cut open to bleed out. While I am skinning the prior rabbit.
I believe that you should not try to hold a rabbit while shooting, too dangerous. If you have the rabbit on the ground you will not need to worry about a ricochet. Good luck n stay safe.
If you practiced with your new gun a bit you might even enjoy plinking and get more comfortable with it

Latest posts

Back