Questions About Shipping Rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Epic

Reaction score
Alright, so I had a lady contact me on facebook tonight, she wants a trio of English Spots. She's willing to pay for shipping, etc. She has her heart set on getting a trio. She says she wants them for sure.

Now, she's in PA and I'm in Southern Ontario, Canada.

I have shipped within Canada before, but never out of Canada.

Will the rabbit need health permits? What's the best company to fly with to ensure my rabbits safety?

Also, what age do you thnk a rabbit can best handle shipping?

Thanks,
Jackie

Shipping out of country can present some problems. Most animals have to under go a quarantine that can be anywhere from 30 day to 6 months. They will need a whole slew of tests from the vet and it will be very expensive. IMHO its not worth it unless its an extremely rare breed.

I know when I looked into shipping to OHIO that it was WAY too onerous for me to consider. Getting to airport at least two hours before boarding, many planes don't take them, airline approved carrier, it was just Nope, not doing. So I made the rule that anyone wants to ship rabbits they need to make all the arrangements. I'll take them to meet the plane to go, but all that running around... not doing it. AND you can't guarantee they'll arrive hale and hearty.

NOW>> if you could get them to the border and if she can arrange bunny transport.... to PA it's a 9 hour trip or so. Easily doable and probably cheaper for her in the long run rather than shipping by plane. Something to definitely think about hmm??? :)

Far cheaper, less stressful for the animal, and hardly less time consuming to just drive the rabbit than to ship it. There's a yahoo rabbit relay group for transporting rabbits. Otherwise I would look in to large livestock transporters going through the area who might be willing to also transport a rabbit. You will still likely have to get the rabbit across the border by car.

I don't think I would want to ship a rabbit by any means other than my own personal vehicle before 16 weeks of age-- I would want the rabbit to be of sufficient size and condition to handle the stressors of being handled by strangers, drinking who knows what in the local water supplies, temperature differences/fluctuations that may not be controllable, etc

My sister bought rabbits from a woman in Canada.we met her at a show somewere in Ohio,Fuzzy lops are hard too get.she would come down once a year for that double show.

Latest posts

Back