Questions about 4-H

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frecs

Reaction score
I spoke with a lady at my county 4-H office yesterday. She is more excited than I am because apparently they've wanted to have a rabbit program but haven't had any "resources" (ie., source for rabbits and teachers). She emailed me the application for volunteering and I am talking with a few other ladies about co-leading with me to spread the responsibilities a bit. We have a few questions I hope ya'll can answer:

1. The rabbits used in 4-H -- do they need to be pedigreed?
2. Best training materials--I am sure they will have some but since they've not had a program...anyone have links to what they consider to be the best 4-H rabbit programs?
3. Tips for organizing and running a 4-H rabbit club? I've never been involved with 4-H so ANY tips would be greatly appreciated! Again, I know they will provide training but I am, as usual, in "gather the info" mode...NEED INPUT is my motto.

Next week we will have our 3rd county rabbit show. We have gone from numbers in the low twenties to almost 50 entered this year. We have a show that follows ARBA guidelines and select a Grand and Reserve Champion rabbit form the purebreds. We also offer a companion, meat and a fur classification for those rabbits that don't meet the Standard for any of the recognized breeds to allow all the kids with rabbits a chance to show and win a ribbon. Some of the counties near us have "fun" rabbit shows with awards like longest ears, friendliest, fattest or cutest bunny.

1. Rabbits in any show do not need a pedigree, ARBA or 4-H. However, a well run 4-H show should follow ARBA rules and require rabbits to be purebred. Our county has a "pet" class where first-year youth may exhibit a crossbred animal. This is where non-recognized breeds are also placed - Lionheads, Lion Lops, etc.

2. Your state should have some sort of rabbit curriculum. If not, you can find teaching tools at www.4-h.org

3. Organization and sticking to your guns! Parents will complain about this or that or whatever but you have to be firm. For example, our county requires that all meat pens must be exhibited with a completed record book (one put together by our county's rabbit superintendent) or that pen may not be sold in the auction. Youth and parents of course complained if they hadn't gotten their books done, but if she is lenient, then they'll never do them. Gotta be firm!

Latest posts

Back