Question on Supplementing

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unionjack9889

Reaction score
We have a doe that kindled 6 days ago; there's 7 overall in her litter. When I was doing checks on everyone today I noticed one that was a bit runty, not super small, but not as big. Day 1, I didn't think he was that small compared to the rest. He doesn't look like he's getting as much milk as the others and just looks pretty spindly. Still has a lot of energy, though, and isn't lethargic at all. Would it be worth it to supplement him? Should I wait and see how he does before stepping in? These guys are for meat, but I never like starting a day with a dead baby, so the effort wouldn't be reluctant at all....Thoughts?

well if it isn't too much effort I think you may want to try...I usually loose the runts before day three so because he is still hanging in there he very well could make it. :)
Just try putting him in a towel dipped between your legs and hold momma over him...this is the easiest way..if you put her on her back she will fight you and probably kick the kit.
Some here have used a formula of caned goats milk with egg yolk and corn syrup with great results. I think the recipe is in care and feeding. :good-luck:

Zass":26ooyrzw said:
What type is your doe?
Most meat rabbits can easily feed 7 kits.
She looks like a Dutch, right around 5 1/2 lbs. I was thinking this one just might not be strong enough to get in there when she decides to nurse, since everyone else is chubby and happy.

katiebear":26ooyrzw said:
well if it isn't too much effort I think you may want to try...I usually loose the runts before day three so because he is still hanging in there he very well could make it. :)
Just try putting him in a towel dipped between your legs and hold momma over him...this is the easiest way..if you put her on her back she will fight you and probably kick the kit.
Some here have used a formula of caned goats milk with egg yolk and corn syrup with great results. I think the recipe is in care and feeding. :good-luck:
I did try holding her and putting just that one on her, but she's not so big on being handled and didn't seem to let anything down. I'll try again your way, that might be more relaxed for her. Thanks :)

That would make sense. I tried holding her the way katiebear suggested. It seemed like he got some, but still no full belly. I used some powder formula I had laying around, it kept him alive the last couple days but he wouldn't take enough to look full. I went out to the store and picked up some goat milk today, and he ate like he'd never eaten before and got a nice round belly finally :D
I'll update in a couple days just to let people know how it goes. Thanks for everyone's help :)

Latest posts

Back