question about NZ rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daniel1971

Reaction score
how many liters can a new zealand doe have before shes burnt out? and how long will a new zealand buck last? are there any signs i should look for that show when i need to get another buck or doe? i have some bucks that just dont seem interested in breeding anymore, they walk around and smell the doe a little bit and thats it. i have some older does that cant seem to get pregnant anymore and im wondering if there burnt out? i am breeding for commercial production . a man told me that a doe could last up to four years but i cant believe if your breeding for commercial production that theyd last that long. id appreciate any info on this . thanks.

I am on a 2 week breed back and have rabbits that are 2 1/2 years that are just now starting to slow down. Of course, I didn't start the 2 week breed back (I did 4 weeks) until April and they had the latter part of the summer off. I am interested to see how it will go once I'm on track from the time they start breeding to the time they stop. I always try to have a few in growout cages just in case.

Hello Daniel1971 and welcome to RabbitTalk. :hi:

Are your rabbits on the plump side? Fat bucks lose interest in breeding and even when they try can sometimes not get the job done. Fat does often will not conceive even when the breeding looks successful, simply because of too much fat in the body cavity. If you think this may be the problem, you can reduce the amount of pellets you feed and add grass hay to make up the difference. The hay will let them nibble as rabbits are supposed to on and off all day while helping them to get a bit trimmer.

If your rabbits are overweight you can place an obstacle
between the feeder and water source.
A length of two by four or piece of PVC pipe
will cause them to have to jump or climb over it to eat and drink.
Sort of a Rabbit Gymnasium. Creating this will:
strengthen the shoulders and help to remove that excess fat.
Overweight Does will gather fat on the fallopian tubes
making pregnancy next to impossible. An overweight Buck
will become a couch potato and lose all interest in the job he was bred for.
Ottersatin.

I think most research says a 42 day breed back is the most effeicient and I would be in agreement with that from my experience. That will make you 5 litters per year from which you should wean 35 rabbits
Replacing does can be on an individual basis or a preplanned riotation. I am contemplating replacement after the 5th-7th litter.
I have bred other speciies of livestock and its my experience that pushing for the utmost in production requires more management than I am able to exert. BMP(best management practice) can be perceived in different ways. I think..

What I've read about how to tell if your rabbit is fat is this:

Run your hand down the rabbits spine (like you are petting it), from head to tail.

If the spine feels spiky, your rabbit is too thin, and needs an increase in food.
If you can feel the spine, but just as a series of gentle bumps, the rabbit is just right in weight.
If you can't feel the spine at all, the rabbit is too fat.

Latest posts

Back