Question about moving herd outside....

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tegan

Reaction score
So I have an indoor (heated basement) colony right now. It's time to move them OUT. I have a cage of growouts down there that are about 6-7 weeks, a nest full (x2) of 2-3 week olds and 4 adults. I want to get the hutches built this weekend and move everyone OUT. But...I worry about the sudden temp changes...especially with the little ones. Basement now ranges 65-70 degrees, outside at it's coldest it's still in the teens.

Would it be safe to move them all now? Or would I be better off waiting. I'm dieing to get them out of the house...but willing to wait if you think it really wont be safe.

I would wait. I have two Lilacs that I've been getting tame for the last few weeks who were used to heat lamps and I'm waiting for a stretch of weather where we have above freezing overnight a few days in a row.

But then, my main concern is not to have them throw their coat. This week just really stinks and it looks like it's going to stay below freezing every night in our area til Sunday. But next week for Iowa looks better with temps averaging in the 40s. I'm too paranoid about coat though, so I'll be keeping them in until their show in April.

The major stress issue you can avoid when putting them outside is keeping them out of wind and keeping them dry.

I would get the cages built and everything prepared
for the move, but DO NOT move them till the weather permits.
You do not want to stress any of your Rabbits unnecessarily.
As always, JMPO.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Thanks, I'll wait. I have at least 2 does that will probably have another litter in 2 weeks....would love to get them out before then, but you're all right, probably best to wait.

as long as they have adequate shelter and protection from wind/breeze they will do JUST fine. Seriously.

Doesn't matter the age. I've had moms with newborn litters, seniors (though seniors don't do well), youngsters of barely five weeks and everything in between.

I have people give me rescue rabbits all year long.

In the winter I will simply plop them into isolation cages and there they sit until sold. Turn around time is usually three weeks. They do just fine. Nary a problem with 'em. They are well-away from my herd so I don't risk anything. I don't take in anything obviously ill.

NOW... in the summer it's a completely different ball game. They will die if I just plop them outside on a hot day. The heat will kill 'em before the cold does.

For the kits, as long as they are well-furred and have a good snuggle into box they will thrive.

I was worried about moving my Jersey Woolys outside as well, even though logically I knew they would be okay. :roll:

I waited for a window of nicer weather between freezing temps and moved them out. You might want to give them a cardboard box as a shelter at first.

My bunnies, of course, get "BunnyBuckets". :D They provide shelter from the wind and rain or snow, and help contain the rabbit's body heat.

JW's in the snow, ignoring their BunnyBuckets:

IMG_7801.JPG

"Showoff" in her bucket:

IMG_7444.JPG

I know they do fine in the winter, I'm more worried about moving them SUDDENLY into the cold when they aren't used to it. I had a JW about 10 years back that was outside year round with no issues. I think the adults would do fine, but I worry about the littlest ones. I've got a few babies in the two combined litters that are skinnier then I'd like them, and even with LOTS of food in the colony they are still fighting to get enough to eat...so I think I may gate the tiny ones out with one of the does and see if that doesn't help to bring up their weight some before the move.

Hopefully it'll warm up SOON...even just 40 averages would make me feel a lot better....this winter is really starting to drag on me.

Back