Question about lump on my arm.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzzy9

Reaction score
It has not been a good couple days, the cold my husband brought home, and gave to me, turned out to be a nice trip to the emergency room for me. Sunday I started to feel like I was getting his cold, by sunday night I felt as though my throat was swollen. Woke up at 4:00 monday morning, and it was very difficult to breath. Tried steam from a hot shower, and boiling water, but it didn't work. Told hubby he needed to take me to the hospital, and by the time I got there, I could barely breath. They had me on some sort of breathing mask for a while, and it really helped clear my throat.

Anyway, they just said it's viral, chest and lungs clear, which is good, and sent me home with an inhaler. While I was there though, they had an IV in my arm to give me fluids, and meds. It's all bruised, but I noticed there is a huge lump there now. Would anyone know if this is normal, or is it something the doctor should look at?

fuzzy9":2fsv6w5b said:
It has not been a good couple days, the cold my husband brought home, and gave to me, turned out to be a nice trip to the emergency room for me. Sunday I started to feel like I was getting his cold, by sunday night I felt as though my throat was swollen. Woke up at 4:00 monday morning, and it was very difficult to breath. Tried steam from a hot shower, and boiling water, but it didn't work. Told hubby he needed to take me to the hospital, and by the time I got there, I could barely breath. They had me on some sort of breathing mask for a while, and it really helped clear my throat.

Anyway, they just said it's viral, chest and lungs clear, which is good, and sent me home with an inhaler. While I was there though, they had an IV in my arm to give me fluids, and meds. It's all bruised, but I noticed there is a huge lump there now. Would anyone know if this is normal, or is it something the doctor should look at?

Sounds like they perforated the opposite wall of the vein when they put the IV in or the IV infiltrated before they took it out, meaning the catheter backed out of the vein allowing blood an iv fluid to leak into the surrounding tissues. I would just watch it. You can put some ice/pressure on it. It may take a while to fade. If it seems to get larger, turns red, feels hot to the touch, call your doctor. Otherwise, it should be ok in a couple days. Sorry you are feeling bad, prayers for a speedy recovery!

Breathing problems like that are just about the scariest thing. You take good care of yourself, Geri! No advice to offer on the lump on your arm, but I do hope you are feeling better real soon.

Thank you for the info, and good wishes Shannon and Maggie!
bighug.gif
I must admit, it's an awful scary thing when you can't get a decent breath in. Hubby has been really good to me though, and taking care of everything so that I can rest.

Will keep an eye on the lump.

Yeah, they blew the vein, put it somewhere with some 'space' (and that's an actual technique, usually used on the chest wall)

It's gonna HURT, It'll end up being about the worse bruise you ever had

I used to train Grunts (army) on IV's and have more than my share, you'll heal, BUT you should contact the hospital and see your doctor, that is something that SHOULD have been caught by the nursing staff, either that or go back to the ER with you lawyer to be treated :)

yeah- infiltrated IVs-- either a sloppy job of IV insertion, movement on your part shifted the needle into the opposite wall or your veins are not 'strong." People like me, who have had a LOT of IVs, know that a heavily used vein will blow quite easily-- In the hospital, nurses usually don"t believe me when I tell them the vein is blowing, and then, an hour later, they apologize as they remove the needle from a huge, bruised area.
A nice ice pack will do wonders for the pain in the area, and to help the problem dissipate, take a wide toothed comb, and gently 'comb' the area. That helps brak up clots and pockets of fluid. Hydrocortisone cream helps take of of the itching

Frosted Rabbits":26m1yggq said:
yeah- infiltrated IVs-- either a sloppy job of IV insertion, movement on your part shifted the needle into the opposite wall or your veins are not 'strong." People like me, who have had a LOT of IVs, know that a heavily used vein will blow quite easily-- In the hospital, nurses usually don"t believe me when I tell them the vein is blowing, and then, an hour later, they apologize as they remove the needle from a huge, bruised area.
A nice ice pack will do wonders for the pain in the area, and to help the problem dissipate, take a wide toothed comb, and gently 'comb' the area. That helps brak up clots and pockets of fluid. Hydrocortisone cream helps take of of the itching

One of the things I learned early on in my 12yr career in medicine is to LISTEN TO THE PATIENT!!!! They know their own bodies better than anyone else, especially when it comes to drawing blood or starting IVs.

I hate needles to begin with, but I know she had to search around a bit because she couldn't get it in the vein. :shock: It's slightly better today, but there is a BIG bruise!

Feeling better today, just still run down, and coughing. Getting there though. Went out to visit the bunnies and horses, and that helped. I think having something soft, fuzzy, and huggable is THE best medicine in the world!
grouphug.gif

I had a vein blow the last time I donated blood. And this was after the girl had gone on a vein hunt with the big needle. Very painful bruise that took a while to heal.

Laughter aside, I hear that carrying around a baby bunny is the best medicine! :razz:

Miss M":3cfntnxk said:
I

Laughter aside, I hear that carrying around a baby bunny is the best medicine! :razz:

yep-- right up there with Chocolate and Ice Cream.... :icecream: :icecream: :icecream:

Thank you for asking, Ann. I appreciate it! :) I am doing much better, and yes, the lump and bruise are nearly gone. Cold is still hanging on a bit, but they always do, it's just that time of year. :lol:

Back