Question about hay

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Miss M":2h2buo8r said:
amandainohio24":2h2buo8r said:
Now it is just a matter of finding a farmer around here. All of the ads I responded to are not getting back to me.
:( Do you have a feed store? Maybe there are some cards on the bulletin board.
Will have to check that out this weekend. :mrgreen:

Amanda, you might have trouble getting a farmer with hay this time of year. Seeing your in Ohio, climate should be pretty close to PA. Most farmers have prior years cuttings sold or fed before the new hay comes in. If your weather is like here, in 2 weeks or less first cutting hay will be baled. Then you should be able to get your hands on some fresh stuff. Good luck getting some hay.

I feed free choice hay, we have horses so the buns just get some of their hay. I'm surprised so many people don't free freed hay, I really feel it is the foundation of their health.

Often you can get bales at the feed store or from a horse barn, often a horse barn will be willing to sell a small quantity.

Make sure the hay is green and sweet smelling, avoid dusty or damp looking hay and if it smells musty don't buy!

ZRab":uf1ijfmn said:
Amanda, you might have trouble getting a farmer with hay this time of year. Seeing your in Ohio, climate should be pretty close to PA. Most farmers have prior years cuttings sold or fed before the new hay comes in. If your weather is like here, in 2 weeks or less first cutting hay will be baled. Then you should be able to get your hands on some fresh stuff. Good luck getting some hay.
Yeah, the climate should be pretty much the same from me to you. Since I am not in a huge hurry I can wait to find some from the 1st cutting coming up. Just would be nice to find one of the local farmers selling when the time comes. (considering my house has fields on 3 sides it drives me crazy that I cannot find anyone growing any at the moment) Definitely will check around though. There has to be at least 1 farmer growing & selling around my town.

Agway also has hay (Ours purchase locally from farmers). It is kept in their warehouse portion of the building. I've already bought first cut hay and a few farmers are selling bales through CL.

skysthelimit":t4ibqcuu said:
dangerbunny":t4ibqcuu said:
Often you can get bales at the feed store

It's just TSC here, and it's the worst stuff I've ever seen.
Not sure how far you are from Findlay, a small drive for us. but they have a feed store other than TSC. I want to say it is Blanchard Valley (something) or in Tiffin there is a Rual King.

amandainohio24":3fhohwgw said:
skysthelimit":3fhohwgw said:
dangerbunny":3fhohwgw said:
Often you can get bales at the feed store

It's just TSC here, and it's the worst stuff I've ever seen.
Not sure how far you are from Findlay, a small drive for us. but they have a feed store other than TSC. I want to say it is Blanchard Valley (something) or in Tiffin there is a Rual King.

I'm in Cleveland, about 2.5 hours away.

Latest posts

Back