Question about hay

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amandainohio24

Reaction score
I found a local farmer who has alfalfa/orchard grass mix, is this good for rabbits? I have only ever used timothy hay bought from the feed store and am hoping to find a local farmer that grows some since our feed store has been out the last 3 times I have went to get more. (Darn good thing I bought more than I had planed to last time)

I'd see no harm in feeding it. However, I'd be super cautious, making sure it's cured and put-up properly. The slightest misstep in harvesting and putting-up hay can cause problems. Mold is one problem that is not good for rabbits. Another is milkweed. Even the smallest amount is toxic to a rabbit.

I used to feed hay daily to my does w/young ones. They loved it! However, every time I'd feed hay for an extended period of time, I'd lose several does that were in otherwise perfect condition. The hay was the only correlation that coincided with those unexplained deaths. Consequently, I stopped feeding it. These were young, healthy does less than 2 years old. That's the only thing I was doing different that I could match to the problems I was having.

I could feed it to my horses and they never had an ounce of trouble. Not so with the rabbits.

Grumpy.

It does sound as though there was something wrong with the hay, Grumpy. :(

I've had very good luck with local hay here, especially the alfalfa that we've been getting for the last three years from a family farm just north of us.

I think alfalfa/orchard mix hay should be fine for your rabbits, Amanda, and it has more protein than timothy. Timothy is often recommended for pet rabbits because it has low protein levels. It provides fibre without making the rabbits fat. So you need to consider what else you are feeding the buns and also whether they are non-breeding pets or breeders.

I have fed several different types of hay: straight alfalfa, staight orchard grass, timothy, rye grass. I have come to the favorite blend of alalfa/orchard grass for my rabbits. They eat this hay the best with the least amount of waste. Different rabbits may prefer different hay, the important thing is that the hay isn't dusty.

MaggieJ":2lle6s0q said:
It does sound as though there was something wrong with the hay, Grumpy. :(

I've had very good luck with local hay here, especially the alfalfa that we've been getting for the last three years from a family farm just north of us.

I think alfalfa/orchard mix hay should be fine for your rabbits, Amanda, and it has more protein than timothy. Timothy is often recommended for pet rabbits because it has low protein levels. It provides fibre without making the rabbits fat. So you need to consider what else you are feeding the buns and also whether they are non-breeding pets or breeders.
We do a 16% feed and are breeding our bunnies. (1st litter arrived around 3am this morning!!!!!) We have lionheads so fiber is a must for them if I researched it properly due to the long hair.

__________ Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:07 pm __________

grumpy":2lle6s0q said:
I'd see no harm in feeding it. However, I'd be super cautious, making sure it's cured and put-up properly. The slightest misstep in harvesting and putting-up hay can cause problems. Mold is one problem that is not good for rabbits. Another is milkweed. Even the smallest amount is toxic to a rabbit.

I used to feed hay daily to my does w/young ones. They loved it! However, every time I'd feed hay for an extended period of time, I'd lose several does that were in otherwise perfect condition. The hay was the only correlation that coincided with those unexplained deaths. Consequently, I stopped feeding it. These were young, healthy does less than 2 years old. That's the only thing I was doing different that I could match to the problems I was having.

I could feed it to my horses and they never had an ounce of trouble. Not so with the rabbits.

Grumpy.
I know the ad had said never been out to get wet. What kind of questions should I ask before buying any?<br /><br />__________ Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:09 pm __________<br /><br />
ZRab":2lle6s0q said:
I have fed several different types of hay: straight alfalfa, staight orchard grass, timothy, rye grass. I have come to the favorite blend of alalfa/orchard grass for my rabbits. They eat this hay the best with the least amount of waste. Different rabbits may prefer different hay, the important thing is that the hay isn't dusty.
I would have loved to have found a timothy/orchard blend but the only farmer within a 50 mile radius of us only sells it by the semi truck load. Way more than I will need on hand at any given time.

Smell the hay. It should have a sweet, fresh hay smell. If there is a dusty, musty, damp smell to it, I'd pass. It's nice if you can open a bale to check it before committing to buying a large quantity. White powdery "dust" on the hay inside the bale would be mould and potentially toxic. It's worth paying for one bale to check the quality - if you can do it without offending the farmer. Explaining that toxic mould on hay could kill your rabbits because they are very sensitive may help.

I have been feeding a mix of orchard/timothy to my rabbits with no problems so far. Lots of farmers in my area so I can always find cheap hay for sale.

The main guy I deal with has good stuff for rabbits and not so good stuff I use for my chickens. He is pretty up front with the condition of his hay and cuts me a deal on the lower quality stuff. The cheap stuff is full of seeds and the chickens just love it, but has been rained on so it is not good for the rabbits. It is worth spending a couple bucks more per bale to ensure you are getting quality stuff.

I just get the jitters when it comes to hay. I used to feed it every single day. But then, I ran into those problems a couple of years in a row. I about half gun-shy of it now.

The last three bales I bought for my old horse...I could smell there was something wrong with it once it was in the van on the way home.

Hay is at a premium around here because of the drought last year.

grumpy.

grumpy":26vp0l07 said:
I just get the jitters when it comes to hay. I used to feed it every single day. But then, I ran into those problems a couple of years in a row. I about half gun-shy of it now.

The last three bales I bought for my old horse...I could smell there was something wrong with it once it was in the van on the way home.

Hay is at a premium around here because of the drought last year.

grumpy.
This makes me iffy to buy from anywhere but my feed store now. :shock:

I lost one of the best reds I've ever seen to mold. I'd recommend doing the smell test that Maggie suggested above, but also doing a close visual lookover of a few bales for even the slightest indication of a mold spore. Also, look critically at how it's stored. Stay away from bales closest to the ground, as they are likely to have soaked up moisture over time, and that's never a good thing.

Mixed orchard grass hay can be a blessing or a curse, and don't be afraid to look it over carefully and ask alot of questions. As Grumpy said, there can often be certain common plants in orchards which can be toxic to rabbits.

I thought you had to feed rabbits hay? I bought some bales of hay a three months ago - it had just been cut and bailed and then three weeks ago I noticed white powder like smoke came out when I ripped it apart - so bought some more bales now I suspect they are just starting to go moldy in the middle which means in a month they will probably be moldy all over. If I stop feeding hay - then what should I feed.

Hello squidpop,
I feed grass-hay to the whole herd
about three or more times per week.
I use it as nesting material too.
I purchase from a local farmer that I have known
for about twenty or thirty years.
I purchase only two or three bails at a time,
and it is used up quickly. It is not very often
that I find a problem, and that is more likely
in the "Dog Days of summer" or the heavy rain/Humid
days like now. The Hay I purchase is stored inside
and I store mine inside up on pallets with a separation
between the two bails. It is fed in Hay-racks attached to
the outside of the cage. I NEVER toss hay onto the floor
of the cage. That is only asking for problems, as the Rabbits
will eat soiled hay bringing disease and infection.
I am not afraid to use Hay in my rabbitry. I feel that
it is an aid in the rabbit digestive tract, and I also
believe that they enjoy eating it. As always, JMPO.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

If the rabbits are on pellets then hay is fed to increase fibre, alleviate boredome and prevent wool block. Many commercial operations do not feed hay but they also don't mind culling a rabbit who is plugged up and not producing.

If you are on a more natural diet then hay is a must since grains and moist plants are too rich and will bung up a rabbits digestive tract leading to enteritis and diarrhea.

If you cannot get mold free hay the you could try hay cubes. I would return yours to the farmer and get a refund. Selling moldy hay is not cool!

Over here hay is often treated with a mild salt solution to prevent spoilage but I don't know if thats done in NewZealand.

generally speaking, if you buy hay from a horse farmer you'll be doing okay as horses do best on a good quality hay.

I get my hay from a hay producer. it's ALL he does so I can get a variety of hay from him. It's always been a good quality nice hay and he knows what I need. :)

I used to feed hay everyday when it was good quality and $4 a bale. Now it's like straw and $10 a bale, 25 miles away, at TSC. Pretty much only weanlings, jrs up to 4 mos and nesting does get hay, and of course the Wool breeds once a week.

I free-feed hay. I was reconsidering that practice, as hay was $15 at the feed store for a square bale. Then I found a local farmer with square bales for $5, and it was greener and nicer-smelling, and kept under roof (partial sides)! :p I don't know how the hay at the feed store was kept before it got there. So the buns have their hay. They love hay. It took them a bit to get used to the Bahia, as they had been on Alicia Bermuda.

Now it is just a matter of finding a farmer around here. All of the ads I responded to are not getting back to me.

I'm trying to be careful about hay as well. There's a small feed outlet across from TSC that sells 100 lb bales of alfalfa (3 wire) for $20.00. That's quite a bit better than TSC's $15.00 for a 30 lb bag. They're kept outside, but under a pole barn with partial sides. They also have horse quality coastal for $8.00 a bale.

I hope the quality is good. At that price, I feel like I have no choice but to give them a try.

So, I really should feed hay then shouldn't I? It does seem like the rabbits love it- my fuzzy lop zips around doing binkies like a baby bunny when he gets a big bunch of hay. I got some hay cubes, they don't seem like they like them though- I'm sure the cubes don't bring them as much joy as the hay does.

amandainohio24":2w91x3ql said:
Now it is just a matter of finding a farmer around here. All of the ads I responded to are not getting back to me.
:( Do you have a feed store? Maybe there are some cards on the bulletin board.

Latest posts

Back