question about first time doe

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rainey

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Yesterday we bred a doe that we'd kept from last year's litters. We'd tried her a couple times and she backed into a corner but yesterday she looked ready and there was one mounting that looked successful (dramatic fall off at the end) but no second attempt so after a few minutes we took her out. Tried again this morning, having understood that it is better to have 2 or more mountings. This time she growled at the buck and he immediately backed off and left her alone. My question is whether we should try again soon or wait for a month and see if she kindles and if not try again then.

A secondary question--her littermate was bred 3+ weeks ago--no hiding in the corner, 2 mountings and we hope she'll kindle early next week. We kept back 3 does from last season to try breeding this year--the third is from a later litter so we won't try her for another month. Would more experienced folks here (raising rabbits for meat) take into account the ease of breeding when choosing which does to keep? What about adult weight? When we choose them these two does were the same weight but now the one already bred is almost a pound heavier--is that significant? I know we should see whether they kindle successfully and how many they have and how well they grow but wasn't sure what else to watch.

Does can be temperamental. She is likely bred, but I doubt she would know this soon. No harm in trying again later in the day, maybe even tomorrow. She might have a change of heart. ;) Just be sure to mark down the possible breeding dates. I am not a breeder, but after reading all of the info on breeding, I would let them try for 2-3 days, then wait 2 weeks, palpate and try again if you don't feel anything, but in any case, give her a nest box 3 weeks from the date of the first attempt. :)

For meat rabbits, the adult weight is usually less important (I wouldn't worry about a lb difference) than the grow-out weight. Better to keep the one that was 5lbs at 8 weeks than the one who didn't reach 5lbs until 15 weeks.
Most of my does will grunt and refuse the buck a day or two after they're bred. One doe refused him the next morning. You can go ahead and try her again, if you want, but definitely make sure you're present in case she becomes hostile. 1 fall-off is enough to produce a litter (sometimes no fall-off will produce a litter). Most breeders like more fall-offs for a better chance of catching or for larger litters.
Ease of breeding, number of kits, milk production, temperament, rate of growth, body type, etc - all are considering factors when holding onto does. Most operate on the 3 strike rule and not catching with a proven buck is a strike.

The other doe is three weeks pregnant? It's baby weight she's carrying ;)

It sounds like you doe is probably bred successfully, but you can try again.

I do take ease of breeding into account, but litter weight at 8-9 weeks trumps it.

I have to hold my Dovetuft for breeding still, because she only wants to lift for me. :roll: She tries to kill most of the bucks. She happens to be the only doe here who's gotten her kits to 5 lbs at 8 weeks.

She's a super sweetheart to humans and a great mother. She's produced more litters than any other doe here over the last 12 months. She just hates bucks.

I guess I could say that she has one strike against her.

Zass":3eesmpsb said:
The other doe is three weeks pregnant? It's baby weight she's carrying ;)

[color=#400040[color=#800040]]Sorry--I wasn't clear there. We weighed each one the day we bred her. So the one was heavier 3 weeks ago, the day she was bred, than her litter mate was yesterday, when she was bred. I do hope she's got some baby weight in there now but won't handle her again until after she's kindled--or failed to do so[/color][/color]

It sounds like you doe is probably bred successfully, but you can try again.

I do take ease of breeding into account, but litter weight at 8-9 weeks trumps it.
Thanks, that's helpful

Latest posts

Back