Question about Barley

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MatSuAK

Reaction score
Was talking with the farmer I buy hay bales from about the high price of feeding critters in Alaska. He has started feeding 50% Barley, which grows locally & is half the price of bagged feeds & a third the price of good hay. He has used this 50% Barley combined with other pelleted rations, pasture, forage, and garden scraps for the past two years with his poultry, pigs, & goats. He commented that it doesn't work with his laying hens as they quit producing eggs.
He has no experience with rabbits, but I appreciated his suggestion & I'm searching for more info.
I feed a pelleted 18% food with Alfalfa, Barley, Soybean meal, Whole oars, corn as the first ingredients. Varied pet rabbit pellets, (I work at a Pet store & have no qualms using what would otherwise be thrown out) Timothy hay, garden waste, willow branches, & whatever other greens & forage I can find during the summer. Mostly Satin mixes raised for meat, with a few Satins that I show casually. Realizing Barley is already the second ingredient could I mix more barley in? Any thoughts appreciated :popcorn:

Barley is a good grain for rabbits... every bit as good as wheat or oats. It is NOT so good for poultry as they have trouble digesting it and cannot extract all the nutrients.

Given the varied diet you feed to your rabbits, adding some extra barley to the mix should cause no problems. Just don't overdo it or you may lower the protein content too much. Barley is about 10-12% whereas pellets and good alfalfa hay are about 16-18%.

If you toss in some BOSS, that can add protein and fats. Also, if you ever get a busted bag of bird seed, that can be feed as well. One caution I read recently -- don't sprout milo (a key seed in birdseed). It can be fed unsprouted but sprouting does something nasty to it.

i feed a mix of pellets and grains that I can order locally. so after fiddling with it right now i'm at 2scoop whole wheat, 2scoop rolled barley, 3scoop pellets. they seem to be doing good with it. they hated oats lol.

Latest posts

Back