Quail questions I'm a newbie

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunbun farm

Reaction score
So we where wanting to do chickens but then I started reasearching quail and now we're going to do cortnix quail :lol: we're still touching up the coop but I needed find out how many nesting boxes what size and where :mrgreen: oh and we will be raising them for meat so we might have like 20 at a time outside in a coop

coturnix <br /><br /> __________ Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:55 pm __________ <br /><br /> Will they ley eggs in a nesting box if you provide them with one?

But if I give them a nesting box will they lay them there? <br /><br /> __________ Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:57 pm __________ <br /><br /> But if I give them a nesting box will they lay them there?

Quail don't lay in a nest. If they go broody they run around rolling the scattered eggs with their beaks to a nest after they eggs have been laid randomly about. It's very rare for a quail to go broody. Usually you need a pen that mimics natural surroundings and concealing brush. Many build the floor with a slight slant so the eggs all roll to the front.

akane":1wgi04hk said:
Quail don't lay in a nest. If they go broody they run around rolling the scattered eggs with their beaks to a nest after they eggs have been laid randomly about. It's very rare for a quail to go broody. Usually you need a pen that mimics natural surroundings and concealing brush. Many build the floor with a slight slant so the eggs all roll to the front.

Akane, I keep finding little nests on my rabbitry floor with a days worth of eggs. I thought the girls were just laying where ever the other girls were, but if what your saying is correct...I have(or perhaps..had) a broody quail?

Bunbun, why do you want to delete it?

Edit: never mind- I see that you double posted. I will merge the threads for you. :)

Akane, I keep finding little nests on my rabbitry floor with a days worth of eggs. I thought the girls were just laying where ever the other girls were, but if what your saying is correct...I have(or perhaps..had) a broody quail?

If you keep them on a more natural floor rather than wire, more space than pretty much anyone finds efficient to give them, usually some more variety in diet, and they prefer sheltering structures somewhere particularly of wood you can get a broody. More commonly I guess you could call it a partial broody. As rare as a broody is they even more rarely sit on eggs to actual hatching. They might consider collecting them for a few days and stop laying but then fail to sit them properly. Best I got was a button who went broody 3 times and managed to sit until 1 1/2 weeks (16-22 day hatch time) the last attempt. My cortunix didn't have as complicated of pens so they never went broody but I have heard from people who raise multiple quail species that it's pretty similar across the board. Some are just harder than others. With their space needs being considerably less and people putting more effort into the pets than the meat/egg quail it's most common to get info from button quail.

Well they won't be on wire what we made was a chicken coop where in has a chicken house and a little door inside a big door that lead into an outside fenced in area but will they lay them inside or outside :mrgreen:

I am tempted to get quail, and if I do, I think the cages posted here would be awesome:

http://bakersfield.craigslist.org/grq/5023225026.html

The floors slope slightly toward the front so that the eggs roll to the front for easy collection. The feed troughs prevent the quail from being able to reach the eggs.

Copied one photo from the ad:

00a0a_cZDdNyyTxJB_600x450.jpg

Back