PuPpLeS!!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MamaSheepdog

Reaction score
Look what we had yesterday! Queenpup's dog Basil, a Border Collie/Queensland Heeler, and Levi, Colliepup's Australian Shepard are the proud parents of a litter of stockdogs! :p

Basil had seven pups, five males and two females- the females are a black and white, and an "I don't know what color it is"... she is marked kind of like a black tri, but where a tri would have red, she has blue merle markings, and a merle ear. :? We might keep her for Firstpup.

Basil is licking the questionable colored pup in this photo:

IMG_8782.JPG

The "Pupples":

IMG_8803.JPG

The proud Papa:

IMG_8823.JPG

Basil and pups this morning:

IMG_8830.JPG

If there's no tan on any of the merle puppies then they are bi-blues, even the one thats mostly black with just merling on its head and ear. Any merling anywhere makes the dog a merle, a dog with a lot of color is sometimes called a 'cryptic' all it means is that it has poor pattern. Nice looking litter, very surprized you got all bi-s, means that the dad is bi-factored, as bi-factoring is a double recessive. Sorry, merle is my thing, can't help myself, really nice litter!

Thanks everyone!

Honorine, actually the blues have tan in the usual places, like the sire, even the mostly black one. The black pups are all bi's though. The dam's litter were all bi-blacks, and of the pups we saw she was the only smooth coated one, so I'm not sure if the pups will be smooth or rough coated.

The "cryptic" confused me because most of the merle is where you would see color on a tri, with the exception of the ear and neck spot. I am really pleased with the patterns on all of the male pups- the two females are the least desirable, one being the cryptic, and the other mostly black.

We have a good market for stock dogs here- lots of free range cattle so there is a big demand for working dogs, and a lot of ranchers prefer crosses. Both the sire and the dam are intelligent, easily trained, alert guard dogs, and good with our livestock. I have high hopes that with proper critter-socialization this litter will turn out to be exceptional working dogs.

OneAcreFarm":24airn4j said:
Ooh! Maybe I can squeeze one of those into the carrier with my bun-rabs...hmm...

We could disguise it with bunny ears... or obtain the passenger list and bribe a fellow traveler to take it on the flight as their carry-on baggage. :twisted:

How did I miss this? Those sound like a wonderful cross, MamaSheepdog, I'm so jealous! If my house wasn't full of dogs already, I'd march right out to Cali and pick up a puppy :)

What a pretty pile of pupples! :razz:

I love the look on Levi's face... like Basil just told him she's going shopping, and leaving the pupples with him for a few hours! :lol:

We had a littler of eleven Catahoula Leopards born here on New Years day. We kept three, a liver, black, and blue merle. Unfortunately, the two solid pups were stolen :( But we love our merles! Never thought I'd fall in love with such a pig-headed breed, though.

Oh man...Catahoulas are one of those breeds that I wish I could have and never will, because I know I can't handle it. XD

Still lovely to look at and daydream about and pet whenever I meet one. ;)

Kyle,

you can see more pics of them here: levi-the-babysitter-t7969.html

Honorine,

I posted that all of the merles had tan, but I was wrong- one of them is a bi-blue. Also, I was looking at a site that shows aussie colors, and it said that reds can appear black. The little mostly black female has red tones- is it possible that she is a red? Can you get reds and blues in the same litter?

Emily":3onhjn02 said:
We had a litter of eleven Catahoula Leopards born here on New Years day. We kept three, a liver, black, and blue merle. Unfortunately, the two solid pups were stolen :( But we love our merles! Never thought I'd fall in love with such a pig-headed breed, though.

I love Catahoulas! I haven't ever actually met one, but they look like such a strong dog, and I am a sucker for merles! I didn't know they were stubborn though. Sorry to hear about the stolen pups!

Miss M":3onhjn02 said:
I love the look on Levi's face... like Basil just told him she's going shopping, and leaving the pupples with him for a few hours! :lol:

LOL! He looks like he's a little worried about it, but determined to do a good job!

Yes you can get reds and blues in the same litter, both parents would have to carry red. Most likely she is not a red, as you should be able to tell early on. When my dad used to have his doberman litters you could tell the reds at birth next to the blacks. However in aussies there's many different tones of red, from lighter to very dark, so maybe she is a very dark red. I'll check out the pictures, love looking at puppies.

Latest posts

Back