Puppies!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aw, cute pups. What kind are they? Do you know who the daddy is?

When I had a mama dog nursing a bunch of pups my vet said I could supplement her food a few times a week with cottage cheese. I put about a 1/4c cottage cheese mixed into her dog food. It's a little extra fat and calcium.

Pepperoni":uktqx6ux said:
Aw, cute pups. What kind are they? Do you know who the daddy is?

When I had a mama dog nursing a bunch of pups my vet said I could supplement her food a few times a week with cottage cheese. I put about a 1/4c cottage cheese mixed into her dog food. It's a little extra fat and calcium.
He was a beagle/Aussie shep mix we had. He was supposed to be more Aussie that beagle. Nope...discovered that when he started "hunting" my livestock animals. We were lucky enough to find someone who WANTED a beagle to hunt the critters in his wife's garden. He sends us pictures of the pup frequently to let us know he's OK - if they're any indication, the pup is being spoiled rotten in his new home. :lol:

I'll give the cottage cheese a try if she starts to look droopy again. She's really perked up with the new food. BUT she's had very bad diarrhea for 2 days now. I'm currently chalking it up to the diet switch. I gave her some boiled rice and that didn't help (just made the mess smell like rice, ewww). If it doesn't clear up by this evening, I'm going to try some canned pumpkin.

What cute little pupples! you shouldn't have any trouble finding homes for them! :)

I'm glad the pups are doing well.

Canned pumpkin should do the trick for the diarrhea. Just a couple TBSPs is all she will probably need.

If the pumpkin doesn't work try cheerios, I give them whenever any of the dogs have loose stool, normally plugs them up. Some hard cheese may help too.

OK new problem (updating the title to get attention)

Rat Dog has been having clots of blood pass in her urine. I've been keeping an eye on it and wanted to give it a few days to resolve. I know how much I bled after childbirth.

However, hers isn't resolving. She's always been a nervous pee-er, but she seems incontinent now. She will literally drip urine as she walks around. And now the clots *seem* to be getting larger. She's also been staying away from the puppies unless it's time to feed. I don't know if that's normal now that they're almost 2 weeks old, or if we have a problem.

We're calling the vet in the morning, but any advice in the mean time would be appreciated.

Definitely not normal! My girls always get a vet exam within 24 hours of giving birth to make sure all puppies and placentas were delivered, my vet always gives a shot of oxytocin. Also check her temperature to see if she is running a fever.

Definitely a vet issue.

*fingers crossed for a good outcome*

The pups are adorable.

Fiancee called the vet. He said he isn't worried since she isn't displaying any other physical symptoms, but if it continues past the 1 month mark to bring her in. Or if she starts passing blood other than when urinating or nursing. If I start noticing it more often, I'll just take her in sooner. I'm not terribly happy with that answer, honestly. :angry:

In better news...Here's an updated puppy photo. Eyes have opened!
1173678_10151652489319862_1773675348_n.jpg

It is normal for her not to spend as much time with the pups now, so no worries there.

I would take her temperature to make sure she doesn't have an infection. It should be about 101.5F.

The pup is adorable with its eyes open!

Poor momma dog, it sounds like she has a bad urinary/uterine infection. Which would need to be taken care of sooner as opposed to later, I'd personally slap the vet and tell him to do a urinalysis or ultrasound to make sure she's alright.

As for food supplements, I'd really recommend getting some esbilac powdered puppy formula, it can be prepared and given to momma as a supplement and you can soak kibble in it until it is soft and offer it to the pups once they hit the 3 to 4 week mark.

When I raised three, one month old pups (they were covered in fleas, thin, and momma had mastitis, so I took them and rehomed the siblings I couldn't afford to take) I fed them pureed Taste of the Wild and esbilac. They were fat and healthy in no time at all and have since grown huge.

That pup does look plump and healthy though. Good job keeping them clean, too!

Fiance just sold his truck, so I do believe some of that money will be put toward taking the dog to the vet to be checked over.

When can I take them outside? I'm reading different things. Some say to not take them out until they've had their first shots, but some breeder websites are insisting you start taking them out on a schedule from the time they begin eating solid food.

if the weather is nice I start taking my sheltie puppies outside at 3 weeks old, for short periods of time. With that said my yard is fenced in and no other animals come inside the fence. At 5 weeks old I start taking them for short car rides, and let them meet new people. I am very vigilant about socializing my pups since shelties can be shy if not properly socialized at a young age.

JessicaR":1ct732u7 said:
if the weather is nice I start taking my sheltie puppies outside at 3 weeks old, for short periods of time. With that said my yard is fenced in and no other animals come inside the fence. At 5 weeks old I start taking them for short car rides, and let them meet new people. I am very vigilant about socializing my pups since shelties can be shy if not properly socialized at a young age.

I second that. I've known hundreds of dogs raised both ways...and the ones who were kept inside until after their shots were almost always more shy, more easily stressed, and more difficult to handle. Not always, just usually. I personally believe that the slight risk of infections is less important than the risk of a dog being maladjusted and biting someone down the line. :p

Kyle@theHeathertoft":2cpef6oo said:
JessicaR":2cpef6oo said:

I second that. I've known hundreds of dogs raised both ways...and the ones who were kept inside until after their shots were almost always more shy, more easily stressed, and more difficult to handle. Not always, just usually. I personally believe that the slight risk of infections is less important than the risk of a dog being maladjusted and biting someone down the line. :p
That was my main question. Really, in my yard, what ARE the chances of my dogs picking up an infection? The only dog aside from mama they'd be around is T, and he's up to date on everything (so is Gunner, but he's just so big he might hurt them). I guess there's a chance they could get something from the chickens...but what?

Well, from what I've heard, chickens can get Pasteurella from rabbits, and spread it to dogs and cats. So I guess that is all.

Latest posts

Back