protein percentage

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akane

Reaction score
I was told to use 18% pellets for the d'argent but after much searching 16% nutrena is the best stuff I can find without driving more than an hour. Is higher protein that important or is it like larger livestock where it's just added to make them grow faster? Occasionally even to the detriment of their long term health.

ooh, ohh, me too, I wanna know too! I, on the other hand, can get 18% for LESS $$ than 16% (different local mill) but have hesitated to use it... Because I heard the same thing about health detriment. If I got it could I feed less of it and more hay? Does it hurt them? What about meat buns, in 12 weeks it can't be that bad, can it?

18% is probably more than most rabbits need. You could certainly add grass hay to the menu to bring it down a tad. For raising fryers, since they are a short-term project the long-term effects of too much protein are not likely to kick in... but that said, 18% without the mitigating effect of grass hay may result in a higher incidence of weaning enteritis.

Just my personal opinion....No research done, just anecdotal thinking....

they will do just fine on the 16%

18% is nice, but it's not the end all and be all.
1000's of rabbits (if not more) live quite well on 16%.
So if 16% is what you have locally, then go for it. :)

Now if your 18% is cheaper than 16% i'd get it if the quality was similar. You can cut the higher levels of protein if you'd like to/need to by adding a grass hay.

You may find that by feeding 18% feed that your does will lose less condition while they are nursing, but conversely you may find it harder to maintain the right condition on your non-working stock.

i find it's all a balancing act...

I thought that was how it worked, that it was the protein content of the overall ration that was important. I will look into it again, quality is said to be better, it's fresher, made in smaller batches.

Just my opinion:
I use 18% for the whole herd and everybody is just fine.
Not true that 18% causes weanling Enteropathy.
The problem lies with the particular brand of feed and it's ingredients.
I feed each herd member as an individual. Those that require more
get it those that do well on less get that. I even add Sweet-feed and Black oils
to the feed in the colder weather. It is all in how you feed them.
Thats where animal husbandry comes into play, you have to know your animals.
It does not matter so much which percentage or brand of feed you choose
as long as you choose one that serves your purpose.
In the long run you will always end up culling your rabbits to your feed.
Like I said, just my opinion, but it works for me.
You may get different mileage.
Ottersatin.

Not true that 18% causes weanling Enteropathy.
The problem lies with the particular brand of feed and it's ingredients.

This could well be the case, Ottersatin. Since it's been several years since I fed pellets, I can't say what causes it. I have noticed a higher reporting of weaning enteropathy (I understand it is no longer called weaning enteritis, but habits die hard) among the rabbits of people feeding only pellets. The reason was thought by many to be the higher protein levels. The addition of grass hay to the fryers' diet seems to offset this.

What ingredients do you think are responsible for the problem? I'm sure many people would like to know so they can take this into consideration when choosing feed for their fryers.

Is it possible that WE(dodging the whole name game! :lol:) is caused by a lack of something in the higher protein pellet, namely adaquate fiber? When you add to the protein percentage you have to take something else away, because there is only ever 100% of anything.

Maybe in herds that have pellets only and no access to hay or greens, it becomes a problem...? So then Ottersatin, who gives hay, would be compensating for the lack automatically...Just speculating, if anyone has facts that would be great!

this is all so interesting!

I'm going with Elenbaas, out of Sumas, WA.. I really like their feed. I get 16% from them, 17% Pfau's (out of Montana, i think), and I was told that the Elenbaas has an 18% about the same price as their 16% and I'm waiting for that to come in.. right now I mix it up together, lol.

I used to feed 18% to my show rabbits. I simply thought it was better at the time. In the last year, though, when comparing the feeds, I can't see any quantitative advantage. I suspect that in most cases the extra protein is simply wasted. I can't be sure of this as I feed a little "calf manna" to my lactating does, and it may be that this makes up for the difference in a situation where the extra protein matters.

I noticed no extra weight gain in growing out kits with the 18%. I feed greens when they are readily available, but the amount is so small as to be considered more of a treat and a supplier of extra vitamins and minerals than having any real difference in protein availability. I also feed a handful of hay in the morning, but they hay is less than 16%, so, if anything it would lower the overall protein availability. It could be that with certain breeds or under certain circumstances, the additional 2% would be a benefit, though I can see no evidence of that with my rabbits. I haven't actually done a "scientific study" with daily weigh-ins and a control group, but unless the extra cost of the higher percentage feed would have some obvious value, a few extra 10ths of an ounce at butchering weight is insignificant to me.

What I find to be of much greater importance is the quality of the pellet. We have cheaper pellet here than the ones I feed, (they also have a higher protein at 17%). In health, growth and palatability the pellets I feed are obviously better.

Back