Protein Contact Dermatitis, anyone have it?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Secuono

Reaction score
I'm reactive to blood and the raw meat. Less so to any kind of store meat. Makes me think it's the blood in the meat that does it.
Guess I need a nice, long coat with some rubber gloves when I butcher from now on...It's odd I haven't bought itch cream yet after all these years...lol.

Anyone else have reactions dealing with raw meats, blood or other food stuffs?
You can become allergic to pretty much anything; spices, cleaning products, metals, pets, heck some rare people end up allergic to water!

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency ... 000869.htm

Yep makes my skin itch, especially with all of the raw meat I handle. I had a friend that because allergic to shell fish after shelling loads of shrimp.

ILoveBunnies' hands and arms started itching after peeling shrimp once a while back. Other than that, no issues with meats here. Thank goodness!

Nope- no allergies of any kind here. The gloves are a good idea. :)

Yesterday, my friend and I processed twelve. Her husband came over as we were doing the last few, and he said that if you wear food-grade plastic gloves, it makes skinning super easy. Some gloves even have that "waffle" pattern for enhanced grip.

Next time I go to Smart and Final I am going to pick some up.

I grab the hide inside on the fur side to pull, haven't had issues with doing it that way.

That sounds awful. We don't have anything like that here.

But I did suddenly become allergic to the sunscreen I've used for years. My husband woke up the day after and took one look at me and then offered to stay home from work so I could go to the doctor. Of course I ran into everyone I knew while I was all swollen, red, scaly, and oozy.

A couple months after that I had a HORRIBLE reaction to the same contact solution I'd used for years. Allergic reactions in your eyes are not fun. I'm very hesitant to try new products now.

mizemama":6i1we8e9 said:
Of course I ran into everyone I knew while I was all swollen, red, scaly, and oozy.
:lol: Isn't that they way it is!

mizemama":6i1we8e9 said:
A couple months after that I had a HORRIBLE reaction to the same contact solution I'd used for years. Allergic reactions in your eyes are not fun. I'm very hesitant to try new products now.
Oh my word. :shock: I can't even imagine.

Wow, I'd hate to be allergic to contact solution! I use the generic saline stuff. If I end up allergic to saline, I'm screwed!

Just learned that Plantain can help sooth itching! I've got a whole yard full of it! Going to try and make a paste and see how well it works!

I get chapped hands from blood and meat in the winter. Worst situation I have run into was cleaning a wild turkey. While gutting something flew out and hit me inside the nose. Must have been some type of digestive acid. Had a sore that bothered me for months after that. Learned to watch out for the slingshot effect on guts that potentially have liquid in them. Do not pull toward face, duh!

Back