Protecting Rabbits from Predators

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miss M

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
We have a friend (I will call him Ed) who is getting ready to start a backyard meat rabbitry. He's getting his cages today.

His problem is that, next door, there is a 2-acre lot that some guy bought as an investment, and does not keep it up. It is overgrown, and is a haven for racoons and other predators. Ed used to raise quail, and the racoons kept getting to them. He put up some fencing to keep them out, but ran out with just a tiny space left unprotected. Before he could get more material, something got in and massacred his quail.

Known predators in this area are:
racoons
rats
mink
long-tailed weasels (rare, though)
raptors

I need to find out what plans he has for his rabbitry, because I don't know that. I should be able to find out this afternoon.

I looked up the local codes, and it looks like he should be able to report the property as "blighted". The officials would take a look, and, if it fits the description of a blighted property (he does not live in the country), then the owner would be given the opportunity to clean it up. If he doesn't, they will clean it up and bill him for the work.

I told Ed that I would see what suggestions there were on here for protecting his rabbits. It looks like he's got a bit more than the occasional rat issue, or a single neighborhood coon. He was distressed when I told him that the racoons and whatever else would be interested in rabbits, too, not just quail. I did a search, but I'm hoping for a large blitz of ideas. :) Would a shed keep predators out? Or does a certain kind of wire keep them out (do you have to build a cage entirely out of floor wire?)?

Your friend will need to put the cages inside a secure facility to keep them safe. Rats and weasels can get through very small holes... anything larger than a quarter! A shed with lots of ventilation and hardware cloth over all the windows would likely be his best bet. If rats are a problem he should be prepared to use secure bait boxes with a one-bite poison. He will need to be vigilant for signs that rats are gnawing their way into the shed. They can go through wood very quickly and easily and it has been common for us to find holes in the floor boards when the rats are out of control.

That does not sound like a good situation at all. I agree with Maggie, unless he can get them into a secure building, anything that wants in those cages bad enough, will find a way in.

We originally switched to rabbits from poultry because they can be completely confined all the time away from predators. We did successfully have some quail and kept some guinea pigs outside but it took much effort to make the cages and the 10x10 guinea pig herb garden predator free. If not doing a building then I would put up an electric fence around the cages. Minimal effort and cost since you don't need it very tall. Would require a lot of grass trimming maintenance though because you'd need to keep the bottom line quite low but free from grounding out. I would cover the cages in a smaller wire and probably double wire the bottom with a space between them to prevent predators that can get past the electric or in to the building, if one is built, from biting the rabbits through the wire. Make sure any cages are anchored to the ground or wall because a lot more damage can be done if they can be pulled over. I would provide each cage with a solid wooden area to hide in so the rabbits don't panic and would again be safe from things trying to get them through the wire.

The building of the guinea pig herb garden with double fencing to keep out both large and small predators, minus when the gate was later installed and the top was covered with netting http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v244/ ... 2QQtppZZ24 It kept the dogs and predators out for 3 years when the guinea pigs died of an illness that could not be determined and the pen was reused for another 2 years for a trio of japanese bantams during the summer.

It takes effort but you can lessen predator risk a lot. Unfortunately we met our match when a fishercat moved in to the area. Very large weasels that climb well, are highly aggressive, love killing anything, chew through small hardware cloth, won't go in traps, and are too random in their visits to shoot unless you get lucky.

Another thought would be to have a dog... My dogs don't bother my rabbits, but also don't let anything near them. They are great at alarming when things such as raccoons, rats, etc are there, and if they are lucky, will usually be able to catch them...

The birds shouldn't be too much of an issue unless the rabbits are out... If they are caged and under a roof, they really shouldn't bother them...

I also think raised cages help... At the very least, it'll make them work for it...lol

I remember Maggie saying Marilla helped keep the weasels in check, too. How do you get a great cat like that, though, rather than some pushover?

Thank you all for your great suggestions! I'm writing Ed to find out more about his planned setup, and I'm sending him a link to this thread. :)

I was just lucky, I guess, where Marilla was concerned. She's a good little hunter. Actually, I don't mind having the odd weasel or mink around... They cut the rodent population to close to zero. If my animals are securely kept, weasels can't get to them... and it is my job to make sure of it. But three showing up in the living room in one winter is a bit much!

if your problem is coons then there is only one remedy. they have to be removed one way or another.once they get fixated on a food source they will not give up.i have a huge coon population here but so far my lil ratt terrier, max has kept them away. coons are noisy and he chases them off.you mite try a live trap with tuna or sardines as bait, yull thin out the neighb orhood cats also.let us know what happens?

Yes, I'll keep y'all posted. I'm asking him if he has a dog or a cat.

If he built cages out of floor wire, with a second floor, would that keep everything out?

I don't know of any predator that can get through floor wire, although I have heard of rabbits having their toes eaten through it. The second floor might take care of that. Please remind him that open J-feeders are an easy doorway for rats or weasels. They need secure covers.

Your friend also needs to keep in mind that rabbits can die of fright. Mine must have iron nerves, since we've had raccoons climbing on the chain link enclosure just a foot away from the cages and coyotes that sing up a storm as they run through the property at night. I guess it depends to a certain extent what the rabbits are accustomed to.

Thanks, Maggie! I'm waiting to hear back from him concerning his setup plans. I also told him about the J-feeders at Bass that have covers. Are there others with better covers?

I thought of telling him that rabbits can die of fright. I hesitated to mention that, since he's got so much else to think about! But I gave him a link to this thread, so I imagine he knows now, or will know soon. :) Thankfully, that doesn't seem to be a very common occurrence.

I don't know how the feeder lids attach... but rats can easily chew through soft plastic and are determined critters when it comes to getting what they want. Your friend might be better off using food crocks, at least until he gets a feel for what he is up against.

We have just about every predator imaginable except possums and bears: foxes, coyotes, raccoons, skunks, hawks, owls, rats, weasels, mink, even fishers. My idea is that if you build a secure facility, you don't have to worry. I've never actually lost a rabbit to fright, so I think you are right when you say it does not seem to be common. For that matter, I've never yet lost a rabbit to a predator, either. Poultry, yes... had a few losses there.

Back