Proper temp for nesting boxes

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugzy4Lady

Reaction score
Need some help with determine what is the proper temp for kits nesting boxes? Lost two large litters last month, one the doe laid on them the other one the heat lamp made the nest too hot? If have two does due tomorrow and need to know what temp I should try to achieve with the heat lamp. I have plently of straw in the box, piece of insulation under the box and the light above it. The pen is in a barn, walls of it are insulated but no heat other than the lamp. Currently we have high north winds and a high temp of 15. Just love these WI winters. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks :bunnyhop:

Not sure what to tell you, we keep our enclosed rabbitry heated with a small heater to just above freezing. I'm sure others will chime in. Hopefully the does hold out till after today, we're supposed to get back into the 30's for the next handful of days.

Technically a rabbit's body temp is something slightly over 100F. I don't remember exactly. 102-103 area. However if the litter isn't too small and there is plenty of nesting material with fur you should not attempt any heat. They will over heat and scatter to then freeze or over heat in place if the box doesn't allow spreading out. Only small litters or litters not properly covered need heat. Even in -30F I had litters last winter do just fine. The only ones lost were 1 1/2 mini rex litters both for failure by the doe to put in enough fur and cover them after feeding or allow enough depth of material for them them to cover themselves back up. This year I lost 1 litter because the doe pulled fur the day after the kits were born.

If you are concerned you are better off bringing them indoors and taking them out when you do chores to let the does feed than trying artificial heat. It's far too tricky to get it exact outdoors with changing temps, different nest types, growing kits that will need less and less heat every day... There is no exact number that can be given to keep a box because there are too many variables. Even indoors with steady temps I've nearly cooked and nearly frozen kits of small litters that I was trying to hand feed. You also don't risk heat lamps that way which set fire to at least one chicken coop or barn a year.

I've been bringing my nest boxes in, and leaving them in the house, taking them out in the morning and again in the evening. My house temps while I am at work are about 40F. No heat or electric in the barn, so I'm taking not chances, at least until the kits are 10-12 days old.

If the nest got too hot, I would imagine the kits would have been as far away from the heat source as possible. If the does build a good enough nest, you shouldn't really need a heat source since they are inside out of the wind, as long as there are several kits to keep one another warm. At most I would use a 40 watt bulb if you are very worried. You could also buy a reptile heat mat and place that under the nest, or better yet, you can buy one specifically for rabbits (I got mine from BASS). You can also pack a bunch of straw around the nest itself to keep in the warmth.

Looking to future herd health and production, I would shy away from too much intervention. Cull any does that don't make good nests- otherwise you are going do create a dependent herd.

Thanks everyone for the advice I guess I should just relax some and trust that the doe will take care of her kits. I just worry when it is so cold and they do not have any fur when they are born. As mentioned above I hope the girls hold off a few days waiting for warmer weather

Latest posts

Back