Progress on my rabbit hutch!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coffeenutdesigns

Reaction score
Our hutch is making some good progress. It was supposed to be finished by now, but things got a little slow going while we dealt with insurance out of town and then DH had to catch up on work he missed.

These are the pics I have so far. Don't begrudge me the mess, I actually bought it with the house, lol. We had to do a lot of cleaning out of trash piled up and overgrowth before we could even start building.

These are the stackables the rabbits came in. I will probably just take those caged down and rehab them for baby chick runs for when they get old enough to start transitioning outside of the brooder. The beginning of my hutch is in the background.

image.php

These are my helpers assessing the situation.

image.php

This is all super heavy duty galvanized beams that we got for free that was going to be trashed and the angle iron was some left on our property from the previous owner...25' lengths!

image.php

Seeing my vision yet?
image.php

This shows how heavy those metal beams are. Not bad for free stuff, but you do have to get creative when making it work to fit your needs. I don't know how many times my daughter and I rearranged all that framing to form something workable and symmetrical (to appease my OCD-ness).
image.php

Now you can see where I'm going with this, right? The angle iron is being used for brackets to hold the cages, but also where I can lift them out when I need to. I am going to paint this with some spray on insulator that we can get from my FILs. They use it on electric motors and it makes like a plastic-y feeling coating, but it's not plastic exactly and it doesn't come off or flake or anything. That should protect it well from caustic urine.

You can also see where we put a second level of beams with enough room for a second row of cages and enough space between for a barrier with a 3" incline.
image.php

And here we have the two rows of brackets for cages. Not sure if you can see some of the flat iron pieces of the galvanized frame, but there are enough that I can cut them to to fit in the brackets to give added support at the edges of each cage. It was great how that worked out. The angle iron is plenty sturdy, but these will give the wire cages a little more support and I can remove them for cleaning or for rearranging cages.

image.php

Final picture. The frame is on the side of our storage building that the previous owner used as his leatherworking shop. It is insulated and has electricity, so we can run a fan in the heat of the summer. We put it on that side so that it is not visible from the road and the building blocks the north wind in the winter. I will need to paint or put something on the sheet metal of the building to protect from urine, probably the insulator. We have some corrugated metal roofing sheets also left on our property that all of our barns are made of so we will have that for the roof. We already have posts to use as corner posts for the roof. If I can manage to find someone replacing their privacy fence and can get some free panels for the sides, and part of the front, all I will need to do is fashion a gate. It's heavy enough to withstand our crazy winds, so far hasn't cost us anything but elbow grease. I am just amazed that the 2 pieces of angle iron we just happened to have were just the right size to make 2 rows to fit that frame perfectly. Coincidence...or divine intervention? I dunno, but I love that it worked out.
image.php

I'll post more as it comes along.<br /><br />__________ Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:38 am __________<br /><br />The brackets are a little over 30" deep to fit a 30" deep cage. They are 148+ inches long so I can fit 4- 30" wide cages and a 24" cage on each row, giving me a 24" x 30" for a buck, 2 - 30 x 30s for my does and 2 - 30 x 30s for growouts on each level, good for a trio of NZs and a Cali trio if I ever get my herd how I want them.

Right now I can actually fit all my does on the top level since my buck is in quarantine until further notice. I won't have time for dispatching for a few days. Sick kids and 2 jobs came up I wasn't planning on.

The height is perfect for 18" tall cages to be right at shoulder height on the top and I at shoulder height while kneeling comfortably on the bottom. Although, if I get concerned about how low it is, it will be easy enough to add some risers under my framework.

Wow, lucky you that you got that for free! Looking good!

I must say I'm a bit jealous. ;)

Make sure you keep us updated with pictures!

This is looking really good! And I will be waiting to see how it progresses as my hubby "liberated" a commercial shelving/display unit made of metal that we were thinking of using like you are. It is 7 feet long and 36 inches deep and would make two nice rows of cages.

Amazing how "junk" can be put to good use, isn't it? :D

It looks like you have plenty of the metal you used for the main support structure left, so I would suggest using a couple more pieces to raise the height so you can hang the cages from the metal rather than set them on it. Rabbits pee and poop at the corners of their cages, so urine and feces will build up on it no matter what you do. As a bonus, you wouldn't have to paint it then, either! :p

I love repurposing and I really love not spending more money than I have to! I thought about hanging cages, but seriously the only reason we live here is because my DH is a high voltage electrician for a wind farm. We seriously have what I call apocalyptic winds. I will probably have chains to stabilize the pens when we get the roof on, but I think the cages need to be grounded in some way...which is also why I my DH scrounged up that heavy duty framing. We will have sides, but in order to allow sufficient ventilation during summer, that will also require letting the horrid spring winds in as well. Painting has to be done either way because I live in a really harsh climate and whatever the wind misses, the blazing sunlight destroys. That barren wasteland you see in the background of the pics is not just in the wintertime, unfortunately, although the mesquite bushes do grow leaves. I do wish I lived where there was more rain and green. It sure would make this rural living a lot easier and more pleasant.

__________ Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:14 pm __________

Marinea":4nak4w29 said:
This is looking really good! And I will be waiting to see how it progresses as my hubby "liberated" a commercial shelving/display unit made of metal that we were thinking of using like you are. It is 7 feet long and 36 inches deep and would make two nice rows of cages.

I saw a shelving unit at the back of our McCoy's not being used and thought the same thing! Our McCoy's usually just sets their "extra" stuff (like pallets and freight boxes) out for people to take, have gotten a lot of wood that way. I was thinking of asking them what they were going to do with those shelves!

My hubby says the metal was a display unit for kitchen sinks! We have two sections 7' long, 3' deep, 3' high made of square metal tubing. At this stage, we are thinking of using the displays as cage frames, and welding the cages to the frames. My thoughts are to make 4 cages out of them. two doe cages, a buck cage and a grow out cage.

Of course, we are still in the planning phase, so I am really interested in watching your progress. Please post more pics as you go!

Latest posts

Back