Problems with one buck

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powellanimals

Reaction score
I got the perfect Lionhead buck for my herd. Has all of the strengths I was looking for. Two and a half years old and proven, had him transported across the country. Put him in with a doe. He humps away but does not seem to connect (no fall off). Check the doe, she's ready. Try again next day, he humps away but no fall off. She doesn't seem to want him either, runs away and eventually just lays there. I put her in with another buck to see if it's her and get a fall off without 2 minutes. Okay, a week later I try a different doe. Same thing - she wants nothing to do with him, eventually he gets to hump but no fall off. I try her again with my other buck, instant. Three weeks later (today), I try another doe with him. Same thing! Cannot seem to get there. I did not try her with my other buck because I did not need three litters from him at the same time. None of them really lifted for him but I would put them in position. He's got a lot of fur in the area so can that be causing the problem? I paid an arm and a leg for him and the breeder says he has never had any issues. What am I doing wrong? He definitely does not seem to be the womanizer my other buck is - not a whole lot of kissing and cleaning etc. What else can I do?

I have had to trim does and bucks for heavy wool interference hehe, but they are Germans and I have never seen a lionhead come close in that department, but it couldn't hurt. While your at it check him for split penis. I have a buck with a split, which I did not notice at first. He bred several litters and then became unable to connect.

He could also be a bit fatty if you're unsure what or how he was fed by his previous owner. I had issues exactly as you described until I cut back heavily on feed and added an abundance of hay and now my buck gets 3-5 covers very fast and enough energy to keep going.

I tried for two hours today with two different does. Trimmed him, definitely no split penis. Took them for a ride, switched cages, hopped on one foot and sang Madonna...

I'll try and cut back on the food, that may be it. Thank you for the suggestions!!

I do have a buck that my does refuse to lift for. They don't like him. To get them bred by him I have to put them in 2x a day every day...Eventually on day 3 or 4 they allow him to breed. Same does will lift seconds after they visit Bart, who of course, is a different breed lol.

it's a risk BUT you can always put the doe with a buck she likes and then quickly remove her before he connects and then put her with the buck she doesn't like.

the risk that is you get an oops litter...but then when that doe is about four weeks into raising her next litter and is generally very willing to breed...put her with the buck she's not keen on and usually (not always) that will do the trick.

Thanks everyone! After a combination of the above (try everyday and put her in with a buck she does like first, and reducing the buck's food), I finally got a fall off on Saturday. Hopefully it took and hopefully I can get the other one done. Finally. Thank you for the help!

Back