Problem with Kit Size

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilybuns

Reaction score
Hi Guys! Just looking for a little bit of advice.

I am new to rabbit breeding and just wanted a little bit of advice about one of my does first litter.

I bred her a couple of months back with my buck (her first litter) and she gave birth to 3 dead babies outside of her nest box, they were in her litter tray when I went to check on her. They appeared very large to me compared to my other does successful litters.
She is absolutely fine and back to her normal self but I wasn't sure if it is safe to rebreed her? I can't seem to get any solid word on this and I do not want to cause unnecessary stress or harm to her and potential kits again and would be more than happy to neuter her but I just wanted to see if anybody has had experience?

All of my rabbits are mini lops and I know each of them between 4 and 5 generations back.
They are all health checked regularly and up to date with vaccinations etc.
I also understand it's quite controversial to breed, however, I do take full responsibility for my rabbits and have plenty of space to keep babies etc.

I hope everyone's day is going well!

Hi Guys! Just looking for a little bit of advice.

I am new to rabbit breeding and just wanted a little bit of advice about one of my does first litter.

I bred her a couple of months back with my buck (her first litter) and she gave birth to 3 dead babies outside of her nest box, they were in her litter tray when I went to check on her. They appeared very large to me compared to my other does successful litters.
She is absolutely fine and back to her normal self but I wasn't sure if it is safe to rebreed her? I can't seem to get any solid word on this and I do not want to cause unnecessary stress or harm to her and potential kits again and would be more than happy to neuter her but I just wanted to see if anybody has had experience? They are all health checked regularly and up to date with vaccinations etc.
Sometimes when kits are too large, it is difficult for the doe to deliver them, and when the first one gets stuck, the others in line die while they're waiting. In my experience overly-large kits can result from either the doe being overweight, or the litter being so small that the kits grow bigger than normal.

Even if they were not too large, if it was the doe's first litter, it may have taken her body a little too long to figure out how to push the kits out. There's a good chance that next time everything will work perfectly.

If the doe looks and acts healthy, it should not be a problem to rebreed her. I would encourage you to first make sure she's not fat, though, since overweight does can have all kinds of problems conceiving and kindling. Feel around her shoulders; fat rabbits will be flabby in that area, if they're really fat you can even feel the fat lumps there. Especially if she's a mini lop, she should be built like a brick, with no flabbiness. Don't worry about loose skin, or a flap of skin/fur around the base of her hindquarters, like a skirt; those are pretty typical of lops and don't necessarily mean they're fat.

If the doe had vaccinations recently that might possibly factor into her difficulty kindling, depending on which shots she got and when.

I also understand it's quite controversial to breed, however, I do take full responsibility for my rabbits and have plenty of space to keep babies etc.
Breeding rabbits is not considered controversial at all on this forum. Many or even most of those posting here are breeders or intend to become breeders. They're also as non-judgemental a group as you'll find.

Last edited:
Back