Probably wouldnt work... Rubber/ plastic shed

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hutch81

Reaction score
I been trying to think of easy cheap ways of building a coverd rabbitry... My town you need permits and there not cheap... I have a big shed already and in this town you can only have one... Now those Rubbermaid shed I don't think you need a permit... Now you don't need a floor in them , so thought would be to brace it on the inside with 4x4 and brackets... Cut a hole in the back at the top for a fan and keep door open in summer with a floor fan... Maybe even a free standing ac unit... Just worried about not enough ventilation... Winter have a heater set on a timer to keep the chill out at night, run lights out there... Stacking cages with pans... I don't want a big Rabbitry 20 25 hole... 10x10 shed

Rabbits don't really need heat, and AC maybe depending on what kind of rabbits you have. I don't have either, and I have all fur/wool breeds.

Cutting holes sounds like a good idea. I think I remember some one who did that. perhaps an exhaust fan if you feel you don't want too many holes.

Can you put what you have in the rubbermaid shed and put the bunnies I the other shed? Figured I'd ask.

My other shed has to many fumes and I also keep my Harley's atvs and other kinds stuff that isn't good for the rabbits to breath... Also noise I would be worried about<br /><br />__________ Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:39 am __________<br /><br />My worries are it getting to hot in the shed, is it gonna act as a oven in there in the summer, it will be in a shady spot in my yard... I don't want stale air ... Now for having the heater, if kept at high 30's I wouldn't have to worrie about frozen water...

I'm not sure how you would fit 20 to 25 cages and supplies for all those rabbits in a 10x10 shed :shock:

I have a 10 x 10 barn area for my rabbits with a 6 foot ceiling and i can only fit 10 cages in there with a narrow 2 foot aisle way and most of my supplies are in a separate section of the barn.

Stacked cages 3 high...

__________ Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:33 am __________

I use 30x30 cages... That's 2and half feet... 3 next to each other is 7 and half feet... So one side I have 9 cages the other side has 9 that's 18 caged right there... Now you have the back wall and have 3 to the back 21 cages... And I'd have at least 4 foot to walk between cages that's leaving 6 inches of the cages to back walls

We had similar issues here. Hubby added a gorgeous roof to the side of the house where it's fenced on the other 2 sides. Plenty of air flow but kept the wind and precip off them. Unfortunately, it wasn't "code" for our location so he had to take it down. It's so stupid...it looked very neat and tidy, but all sorts of things we could "legally" do would look like crap. What he finally did was weld frames together made of rebar; each frame holds 2 cages. Then he took the metal roofing we'd used and built a gable over each frame. It's quite high so there's room for the heat away from the buns. He also left spaces between the "steps" of the gables so there's air flow but they overhang, so no rain or snow gets in. He tarped the backs permanently and stapled tarps on the front that can be rolled up or down depending on the weather. Over all, it works well, but I much preferred the roof, LOL We don't heat them; as long as they stay dry and don't get a LOT of wind, they do very well. It's the heat that's harder on them.

Well that's my biggest concern as of now... If one of those Rubbermaid / plastic or rubber sheds would work if I put fans in there...It's shaded pretty good, sun would be blocked...

Hutch81":1nftq7n2 said:
My other shed has to many fumes and I also keep my Harley's atvs and other kinds stuff that isn't good for the rabbits to breath... Also noise I would be worried about

I was suggesting taking everything out, putting the stuff that was in there in the rubbermaid shed, and putting the bunnies in the other shed. Could you get a rubbermaid shed big enough to fit the other stuff in?

Not at all, my sheds like a garage.... 16x 24... All my tools and lawn stuff, 3 Harley's, 4 atvs ect

I've considered one of these sheds myself, just for winter use.

The buns could spend their summers in the wooden hutches, since they love them so much, and maybe winter up in a plastic shed.

Windows for light would need to be added.

In the end I just built a big "greenhouse" out of wood, staples and plastic sheeting and and moved most of the hutches into it

If your areas is like mine, as long as it doesn't have a floor and isn't enclosed, you don't need a permit. We have a Carport type barn and it works well.

Hutch81":1g3hypia said:
Some of the plastic sheds come with a little window and some even have skylights now

I'd worry about heat & humidity with a plastic shed. Even with windows those things really hold heat.

In NJ, you'd want to enclose it in the winter time. Here, I can do almost anything, as long as it's not over 8ft tall, and doesn't become a new out building. Perhaps a dog kennel with tarps a round it? The last enclosure I made I put up fencing as the sides, so it looks like the fence at the end of my yard, until you go around it and see it's got a door. Next spring I will put greenhouse panels to make a roof.

Back