Probably not pregnant doe questions.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
UPDATE:
Day 34 and still nothing. She started using the box as a potty, so I pulled it out and put a bunch of straw where it was. She is eating the straw. Ignoring her pellets and hay. She and the buck are cuddling through the wire. Soooooo.....
Try again or wait til the end of this heat spell? Currently 96° outside. About 85° in their barn.

This is my first time with rabbits. So I read a lot. It seems I don't have rabbits that read the info I did.
So I put the doe in with the buck. He chased her and was doing his thing. He didn't fall off, and I did not see her lift. I took her out when he quit trying. I did this for 3 days. Then I got distracted for about 15 minutes. (My goat was kidding) I heard a lot of noise and she is trying to crawl up the side of the cage. So I took her out. This time I checked her vent. It was RED. So I thought maybe. I checked her again that evening and it was back to pink. Figured it was successful.
28 days later I put a box in her pen with pine shavings. No nesting behaviour. Day 30 I put in straw. It's day 32 and still no nesting behaviour. It's 85° and she is just hanging out in her box.
She is a Californian and so is the buck. Both 1 year old and first timers. Breeder was into showing them at 4H and said they were not fat.
She doesn't look fat. Doesn't eat a lot, compared to the buck. The buck is in the cage next to her and they touch noses every so often.
Is it time to take the box out of her pen? Is it too hot to try to breed her again?
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
This is my first time with rabbits. So I read a lot. It seems I don't have rabbits that read the info I did.
So I put the doe in with the buck. He chased her and was doing his thing. He didn't fall off, and I did not see her lift. I took her out when he quit trying. I did this for 3 days. Then I got distracted for about 15 minutes. (My goat was kidding) I heard a lot of noise and she is trying to crawl up the side of the cage. So I took her out. This time I checked her vent. It was RED. So I thought maybe. I checked her again that evening and it was back to pink. Figured it was successful.
28 days later I put a box in her pen with pine shavings. No nesting behaviour. Day 30 I put in straw. It's day 32 and still no nesting behaviour. It's 85° and she is just hanging out in her box.
She is a Californian and so is the buck. Both 1 year old and first timers. Breeder was into showing them at 4H and said they were not fat.
She doesn't look fat. Doesn't eat a lot, compared to the buck. The buck is in the cage next to her and they touch noses every so often.
Is it time to take the box out of her pen? Is it too hot to try to breed her again?
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
It's true, animals refuse to read the guidebooks! :ROFLMAO:

Especially if she is hanging out in her box, I'd leave it with her till at least day 36. I've had does go that long (though it usually doesn't end well). I have also had does have a litter on the wire the day after I pull the box. :( It's crushing, so now I do not pull the box until about a week post-due.

Some does don't do any nest-building until they are kindling, or even afterwards. First-timers, especially, can be pretty clueless. If it was me I'd keep an eye are her in case she kindles on the wire, so you can scoop up the kits and put them in a nest yourself. Even if it's 85F the kits may die from getting chilled if they're wandering around by themselves on the wire. Make sure the doe has lots of clean cool water and pay attention to whether she moves hay around or starts scratching in the corners of her cage.

It's true, animals refuse to read the guidebooks! :ROFLMAO:

Especially if she is hanging out in her box, I'd leave it with her till at least day 36. I've had does go that long (though it usually doesn't end well). I have also had does have a litter on the wire the day after I pull the box. :( It's crushing, so now I do not pull the box until about a week post-due.

Some does don't do any nest-building until they are kindling, or even afterwards. First-timers, especially, can be pretty clueless. If it was me I'd keep an eye are her in case she kindles on the wire, so you can scoop up the kits and put them in a nest yourself. Even if it's 85F the kits may die from getting chilled if they're wandering around by themselves on the wire. Make sure the doe has lots of clean cool water and pay attention to whether she moves hay around or starts scratching in the corners of her cage.
Thank you. I'll wait.

I've had a doe who built a nest after she had the kits. Another who built a nest two weeks early and then didn't have any at all. Generally, though, the ones who are gonna have a litter do rather lay about for the few days before. Perhaps since she's just laying about she will still have a litter?
Thank you.

UPDATE:
Day 34 and still nothing. She started using the box as a potty, so I pulled it out and put a bunch of straw where it was. She is eating the straw. Ignoring her pellets and hay. She and the buck are cuddling through the wire. Soooooo.....
Try again or wait til the end of this heat spell? Currently 96° outside. About 85° in their barn.

These aren't foolproof methods but decent indicators of pregnancy...
First check the buck for that telltale grin / smirk.
Then, depending on the doe's personality / upbringing, look for signs of guilt or constant giggling & uncontrollable desire to share girl-talk with all the other does.
I'm still very new here but some may have noticed that I'm rapidly becoming an expert on rabbits. 😉

Lol, that's a way to put it. My favorute way to know if a doe at least think she's pregnant is to put her with the buck - if she is quite vocal she propably is.

I have given up setting dates for breeding, I wait until a doe starts lounging at the gate to the bucks territory, then I just open the gate. 90% of the time there is no doe at the gate.

Back