Priorities...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moonkitten

Reaction score
For those of you who don't know, I have a "community cage" that is 8 feet long with a wooden hutch on one end which normally houses a buck and doe together. I let them do their thing, raise the kits and remove the kits a couple of days before the next litter is due. Sunshine (the doe) had 2 litters about 40 days apart this spring. The litters were only 5 kits each and since there was more than 35 days between them, I am assuming that she's not one of those does who re-breeds immediately after kindling but insists that the buck keep his distance for a few days :cool:

In early June, Sunshine produced FIFTEEN kits!!! I pulled the buck and put him into one of my regular buck cages thinking that she could use a little space and time with that many kits to raise. She did raise fourteen of them (one runt died in the first day or two) and I am extremely pleased with her. The kits are now 6 weeks old, so they have been moved to grow out cages and I returned Fergus (the buck) to the community cage yesterday. This is the first time that I have pulled and returned him, although I've done this with other pairs without any problems. Still, I stuck around to make sure the re-intorduction went smoothly. As I said, it's a big cage so there's enough room that no one feels too pressured. Fergus gave Sunshine a few sniffs, a lick or two and threw one leg over her back.... then suddenly spied the feeder! Now, the community cage is free-fed because there are multiple rabbits in there, but Fergus (who was a little on the chunky side) was on measured feed while in the buck cage.

So what does the boy do? Run over to the feeder and just start pigging out. Never mind that he hasn't "visited" with a girl in 6 weeks plus the 4 weeks of Sunshine's last gestation.... Oh no, can't be bothered with her right now -- must EAT!! :roll:

I could hear them running up and down the cage this morning, so I guess he finally got his fill of food and decided to get on with the breeding part of things. :p

Well, they do say the fastest way to a man's heart is through his stomach :D . (Personally I agree with Rossane Barr, the fastest way to his heart is right through his chest :mrgreen:)

Good for Sunshine for raise 14 kits, that's awesome!

Latest posts

Back