Prime Fiber

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paper_crane2

Reaction score
How do you tell what wool is the "prime fiber" and then the lesser quality from angora rabbits? Does it come from a different part of the animal, or is it just the length that determines the fiber quality?

Also, how can you tell if a rabbit has good quality wool?

I consider prime fiber to be anything over 3" that is clean, crimpy, and even staple length, whether plucked or clipped. Anything that does not fit all my expectations above I consider seconds and either spin it myself or card it up and blend it with wool.

Blossomacres, you have any picts to post to show crimp? My FA's have very little crimp and I've already spun it up.

Prime fiber refers to a double coat that is full and not yet started to shed back. If you check the COAT near the skin the second coat will just be starting to come in and you should be able to pull ou a few hairs without the bunny flinching. Since it grows an inch a month it is usually a 3 inch coat or sometimes the hold it to 4 months . If it is matting then it is shedding back and it is way past prime. Prime means that is the best time to harvest the fiber naturally (plucking). . As you start and bunny relaxes they release the hormone that is usually only released in spring and fall for shedding "fur" rabbits but on angoras it is not seasonal. If you groom constantly you will never have a "prime coat". It is a coat that has a natural bloom and falls beautifully and is not touched between harvests. If rabbits are handled or have another rabbit in the cage they will not develop a proper prime coat. The best way to start is to clip the baby bunny wool at 6 - 8 weeks and check it to harvest 3 months later --looking for that new coat coming in and the ease with pulling out first few hairs. :bunnyhop:

Dianne

paper_crane2":2weude4d said:
What would be considered "crimpy"?

If you have seen sheep's wool you will notice that it has a "zig zag" appearance. This is the crimp in the wool. Angora rabbits also have this and French Angoras are expected to, per the Standard of Perfection.

I might have a good picture of a crimpy coat but I would have to look.

Don't we wish they all were like the SOP? But then I wouldn't have culls for the table. I'm down to one FA. But I did find a bag of the good stuff I thought I'd spun it all, so if I can get my camera to take a decent picture, I'll post it.

skysthelimit":1b3qe47u said:
Don't we wish they all were like the SOP? But then I wouldn't have culls for the table.

I know, lol! I am a pretty heavy culler and have been very happy with my latest litters. I have been breeding French Angoras for 4 years now and have been working on improving the type and density and it looks like I am heading in the right direction! I have been getting really nice babies and very few culls in my litters now, thankfully. Glad I have meat rabbits to satisfy the table!

Back