Preventing GI Stasis

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pink

Reaction score
The ladies are starting to molt, and I absolutely do not want to go through the same.

I've reduced the amount of pellets they eat and increased hay. I expanded the amount of space where they can run around, to encourage more exercise. Plus, I brush them daily and provide them with plenty of greens and fresh fruits.

... What else?

Pineapple.

__________ Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:58 am __________

And papaya, I think.

I was thinking specifically for the hairball issue, btw, in regard to the pineapple and papaya. :)

For the wool breeds we use dried papaya or papaya tablets as a preventative as well as tons of hay. I am paranoid that one of my angoras is going to get wool block. As soon as they start shedding I pluck them.

Pink":30yu680b said:
The ladies are starting to molt, and I absolutely do not want to go through the same.

I've reduced the amount of pellets they eat and increased hay. I expanded the amount of space where they can run around, to encourage more exercise. Plus, I brush them daily and provide them with plenty of greens and fresh fruits.

... What else?
Becareful on the fruit. At this time of year i put in there water,stress aid. It gives a boost. And when the really humid hot weather comes around ,I do it again.
What type of hay are you giving them?

This is kinda disconcerting...It seems as tho there is a LOT of issues with the GI stasis right now. We've had a couple... i'm reading on various forums about it... on Facebook several people are dealing with it....

It makes me wonder just What is going on ???? or has it Always been going on... and people are openly talking about it ???

LindseysWoolies":yxyx408q said:
For the wool breeds we use dried papaya or papaya tablets as a preventative as well as tons of hay. I am paranoid that one of my angoras is going to get wool block. As soon as they start shedding I pluck them.

Where do you find sugar-free dried papaya?<br /><br />__________ Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:50 pm __________<br /><br />
Mary Ann's Rabbitry":yxyx408q said:
Becareful on the fruit. At this time of year i put in there water,stress aid. It gives a boost. And when the really humid hot weather comes around ,I do it again.
What type of hay are you giving them?

You put the fruit in the water bowls, or you soak the fruit in an other bowl with a minimal amount of water?

As for the hay, I have no idea... I never had the chance to ask. It was grown by the breeder.

A breeder friend of mine found dried papaya at a health food store. they also have natural bird safe dried papaya on mysafebirdstore.com I get my bird supplies there and they are great very good customer service and fast shipping. Its a good price too 3.99 a lb.

For hay, get stuff with "long" fibers-- the longer the insoluble fiber, the better it moves stuff along in the gut.

Back