Preparing Your Bun For A Show

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pickles

Reaction score
Was wondering what things some of you may do to get your bun's coat, etc... in peak show condition.
Has anyone here ever used "Docs Rabbit Enhancer" or "Show Bloom" as a supplement to their feed to get the buns coat in prime condition? Heard excellent things about the effects of Brewers Yeast, too, but havent used it yet either. Wanted to get some opinions and ideas first about what other methods members are using to prime-up their rabbits.

i don't do a thing, but I see other folks brushing coats, etc.

Many don't do anything special before a show as you risk the rabbit going into molt due to feed changes.

If I've let my rabbits get a little more to the lean side, which seems to be better for breeding and general summer maintenance and inevitable in winter, then about a month prior to a show I will start supplementing with a little calf manna in addition to the BOSS and oats they get in the morning, and MAYBE up their evening pellets a little.

But generally I find my rabbits stay in nice condition with the BOSS/Oats in the AM, Pellets at night, and hay whenever. If anything, all they need is a little extra cushion on their backs and hiney.

If needed I'll trim nails or mist the coat with water (anything else can get you banned from the show) to remove any loose hairs and reduce static if it's really dry out. I don't use any supplements I don't breed rabbits that need a little extra "attention" to reach prime, I like no fuss rabbits. I do give them treats every now and then, buns from Tim Horton's, apple treats, oats. I've yet to have a rabbit who'll eat BOSS so I've given up on that as a treat, and Shredded Beat pulp.

Right now my bun has a beautiful coat, especially after a good brushing. I dont mind atall giving him some extra attention as he is my only bun right now and Im very devoted. However, I do think his coat could use a bit more shine.
Oh, and what is BOSS?

Most of my preps include wetting my hands and rubbing their fur repeatedly until their coat is dry again. Doing so adds to their appearance while helping to remove whatever dead hair they may have.

As far as feeding goes, calf manna is always a plus. It's kind of tricky for me to buy the stuff, though. I wind up wasting most of a 50 lb. bag as I don't use it fast enough. Oats, barley, and sunflower seeds mixed together seems to go over well, too, but you definitely don't want to supplement this stuff over the summertime. The less protein the better during hotter months.

Pickles":1vw8i40r said:
Right now my bun has a beautiful coat, especially after a good brushing. I dont mind atall giving him some extra attention as he is my only bun right now and Im very devoted. However, I do think his coat could use a bit more shine.
Oh, and what is BOSS?

Boss is black oil sunflower seeds.

Thanks for the heads-up about BOSS, Devon. I had no idea it was sunflower seeds. :)<br /><br />__________ Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:15 am __________<br /><br />
SatinsRule":3gp75fep said:
Oats, barley, and sunflower seeds mixed together seems to go over well, too, but you definitely don't want to supplement this stuff over the summertime. The less protein the better during hotter months.
Why less protein in the summer? Is it because of shedding?

I don't do a whole lot to prep for shows- I do clip nails a few days before and give them a light brush over for any loose hair. I also check and clean ears if needed, but that's pretty much it. Up until recently I had used Calf Manna, oats, etc., but now I have cut all of the supplements from my herd. I found I had problems with molting, picky eaters, etc. like was mentioned, though Elops can be more particular than other breeds in my experience so far. :)

Lauren

I wasnt aware that certain supplements can cause molting issues. I really appreciate everyones advice so far.

Black oils as are some of the other additives considered a "Hot Feed"
they are used more in the colder months to help the rabbit retain needed heat.
Oats will put on flesh but not fat, making them a very good year round addition.
Black oils can be used year round in moderation, the oils aid in the sheen of the coat.
All things must be used in moderation, moderation is the key.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

SatinsRule":1gvp8sy0 said:
Oats, barley, and sunflower seeds mixed together seems to go over well, too, but you definitely don't want to supplement this stuff over the summertime. The less protein the better during hotter months.

Why less protein in the summer? Is it because of shedding?

Reducing the protein in the summertime seems to aid in preventing some of the stress which is associated with summer heat. You can give vitamin/electrolyte mixes in their water and it helps with getting them thru the warmer months, as well. They will more than make up for it when the weather begins to cool down again. I'd rather have a rabbit that's a bit thin and lean than to have one that's overweight during the summertime.

The last time I tried to feed the same amounts of supplements over a hot summer, my rabbits' feed consumption went down to nothing, and I nearly lost every rabbit I had. It was only when I stopped feeding the supplements that what I had left actually pulled thru it. I lost some darned good rabbits during that stretch.

ottersatin":3fgi2yns said:
Oats will put on flesh but not fat, making them a very good year round addition.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:
Can I add Oats directly to his pellet feed?<br /><br />__________ Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:32 pm __________<br /><br />
SatinsRule":3fgi2yns said:
Reducing the protein in the summertime seems to aid in preventing some of the stress which is associated with summer heat. You can give vitamin/electrolyte mixes in their water and it helps with getting them thru the warmer months, as well.
Thanks so much for this. :)

I just started my rabbits on an 50/50 oat-barley blend I put together myself. I may feed it into late March, but I doubt very seriously it will go beyond that because that's when it generally begins to get hot and humid around here. What I described to you earlier is exactly why.

Can I add Oats directly to his pellet feed?

Depends on your rabbits. If they really really like it they might scrabble the pellets out in order to just eat the oats.

I give pellets in the a.m. and their oats/boss/pumpkin seed mix in the evening as some of my rabbits will scrabble it out and I don't much appreciate wasted feed.

I don't do much. I feed Templeton and a grain mix (oats, flax seed, wheat germ, a could other things lol) on a regular basis. I keep them groomed (I have fuzzy lops mostly) but my sr's all pretty much just get a once a week once over - I could seriously go indefinately without grooming them. I clip nails, blow out the coat with a blower and check tattoos the night before a show. For the Thriantas and MR we do the same minus blowing out the coat. I worm every 6 months and usually for a month after they are wormed they look crappy coat wise but I still show. I have found that the better you keep your animals all year the less you have to do to prepare for a show and the less they will get stressed.

All Ears Rabbitry":1n0vjbkj said:
I worm every 6 months and usually for a month after they are wormed they look crappy coat wise but I still show.
I didnt realize that a rabbit needed worming- Ive never wormed any of my other buns before owning Pie. And as far as he is concerned, I dont worry about him getting into anything food-wise that may cause worms or bacteria build-up in his intestines, as his diet is fairly strict & controlled by me. Is there any other reasons that worming may be necessary?

Routine worming of rabbits is not often necessary, Pickles, but there are some high risk areas where people feel it is best to do so. In your case, I would suggest that if there is no sign of a problem then you don't need to worm Pie. (Love his new picture, by the way!)

Pickles":3pmkc3v1 said:
All Ears Rabbitry":3pmkc3v1 said:
I worm every 6 months and usually for a month after they are wormed they look crappy coat wise but I still show.
I didnt realize that a rabbit needed worming- Ive never wormed any of my other buns before owning Pie. And as far as he is concerned, I dont worry about him getting into anything food-wise that may cause worms or bacteria build-up in his intestines, as his diet is fairly strict & controlled by me. Is there any other reasons that worming may be necessary?

Worming is not always necessary all though if you're showing rabbits it is recommended to worm them once or twice a year because your rabbit is going up on the table with other rabbits where you do not necessarily know where the other rabbits are coming from.

I let my rabbits run around in Pens in my backyard from Spring to Fall. Because our property backs on to a forest with lots of wildlife we get everything from Deer, bear, raccoon, and Fox coming through our yard. Not to mention our neighbourhood has fences so we also get loose dogs and cats through it most of which come from people who could care less about there animals so I worm at at least twice a year.

Back