pregnant doe not going to box...? UPDATE! Nest is forming!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AngelsGirl

Reaction score
We have a doe who is due today and she isn't stepping foot inside her nesting box!! :shock: she has had the box in there for a few weeks, and has made a home in it, but now that she is supposed to be in the box she won't touch it! :?

UPDATE!!!! Hoppy's nest is starting to form, so that must mean she has been in there! No fur pulled yet, but she is getting that little hole is the back!!!! :D

AngelsGirl":x6j2m0q7 said:
We have a doe who is due today and she isn't stepping foot inside her nesting box!! :shock: she has had the box in there for a few weeks, and has made a home in it, but now that she is supposed to be in the box she won't touch it! :?

Try giving her a second box...have you seen her picking up any hay at all?

OneAcreFarm":306yi17j said:
AngelsGirl":306yi17j said:

I don't think her cage has much room for a second box, as our boxes we give them are large. I don't recall ever seeing her picking up hay.. :/ could she have not been successfully bred? :eek:

AngelsGirl":2gfjc9qs said:
OneAcreFarm":2gfjc9qs said:
AngelsGirl":2gfjc9qs said:

I don't think her cage has much room for a second box, as our boxes we give them are large. I don't recall ever seeing her picking up hay.. :/ could she have not been successfully bred? :eek:

It is possible, but it could be that she is just used to the box as "living" space. Throw some extra hay on the floor of her cage and watch for her to start gathering it in her mouth. We call that a "haystache" around here...

I cheat i put my does in large solid bottom cages(Like Large Cavy) to kindle, its a lil more work to keep them clean but its worth it, i dont have to worry about them not haveing the kits in the nest boxs

I dont like too put the nest boxes in weeks ahead it encourages pooping in the box.

HOLY COW!!!!! SHE HAD A HEALTHY LITTER OF AT LEAST 3!!!! I can't tell if there are any more bc she looked angry that i was there.. lol

WooHoo! Congratulations! But....you need to get in there and check them out. Give her a treat to keep her occupied and pull the nest to the door. Count them, make sure there are not any dead, if so remove them, and look to see if they have been fed. They should have round bellies like they swallowed a marble.

You know how i said there was at least 3?? Well try EIGHT BABIES!!!!! all healthy and alive!!!! I gave her a treat, i snatched up a whole bunch of grass and fed it to her, she loved it <3
I am planning to give her lettuce and celery later :)<br /><br />__________ Tue May 08, 2012 11:53 am __________<br /><br />gallery/album.php?album_id=108

they are in this album <3

If you have parsley, that would be better. It helps them to produce milk. Lettuce and celery have very little nutritional value...

Back