Pregnant Doe Due anytime

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyBounce

Reaction score
So I have an unproven doe that, according to my calendar, should be due anytime now -- tomorrow is 31 days from breeding. She's shown a little interest in hay and nesting, but not pulled fur out.

Should I be concerned that she's not pulled fur yet? Isn't gestation 31 days?

Anxiously awaiting babies!!
:mbounce:

__________ Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:21 pm __________

She's pulling fur --- EEEE!
:cheer1: I'm about as excited as an expectant grandma!
Hope there's little babies in the morning. :cheer2:

They're here!!!!
There's an adorable mound of fluff in the middle of the nest box that has a slight little wiggle to it! EEEEEE! :-D

This is only the second litter in our household and this is a new mama. The last one was great, mama was great, but we were very cautious about handling the babies, only very sparingly in the first days, just to check on their welfare.
So I just went out and did a head count and there appear to be FOUR babies. They were all warm, lively, clean, and fat.

So I'll try to get pictures tomorrow. :)

Congrats :)

Depending on your doe, go ahead and handle them if you want. I handle kits as soon as possible. I've even pulled kits out of does, pulled of sacs and picked up kits off the wire as the doe had them one by one. Most won't object.

Sky is right.

I often witness my does giving birth, and as soon as they hop out of the nest I check the babies, remove uneaten placentas and wet bedding, etc.

I like to give parsley as a post-partum treat. It helps with contracting the uterus and will keep the doe happy while you fuss with the babies.

But any tasty bribe will likely keep her distracted enough and also make her feel that you checking the kits is a positive experience.

Well, the pics are not the greatest, but here's the quick shot I snapped of the babies.
At the moment they all look identical. Pink came form a litter of six that were pretty much indistinguishable from the next. That's how she came about the name "Pink", because she was the one with the pink mark on her ear.
I'm really hoping that Bob will give us some variety in the kits, but at the moment that doesn't appear to be the case. LOL

Attachments

• Pink's kits DOB 12.31.13 (2web).jpg
    Pink's kits DOB 12.31.13 (2web).jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 184
  • Pink haystache 12.29 (1web).jpg
    Pink haystache 12.29 (1web).jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 184
  • Bob haystache 12.31.13 web.jpg
    Bob haystache 12.31.13 web.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 184
Back