Preclampsia?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LindseysWoolies

Reaction score
My doe is shaking and stiff and can't really get around. she looks out of it. I forgot to give a tums this time her due date is tonight. :( I am trying to get calcium into her but she doesn't want to eat anything. Should i just end her suffering now and try to save the babies??

Is she in active labour with contractions? Has she birthed a sucessful litter before? Hard to say what to do in this situation... but you know your buns best. So sorry that you and your doe are having to go through this :(

ketosis in rabbits.

If there is anyway to get a calcium drench down her throat, and some electrolytes. I would not give up, I saved the doe but lost the litter. But this is also the chin doe that had given me very small litters of thrifty kits since.

Sadly this was 2 in the morning I couldn't find any syringes or anything. I ended up putting her down and couldn't save babies either. :( I will never forget the tums again. :(

Don't blame yourself! Until this forum, I had never heard of giving a doe Tums. I had many successful litters without Tums. I am sure it helps sometimes, but your doe may have had more going on. I'm so sorry for your loss. :(

Go to a feed store, If there are cattle farms in the area, there should be treatments for ketosis on the shelf-- these can be injected under the skin--

It is time to start your vet supply container--Mr Murphy makes sure we all learn lessons on a regular basis- and being prepared helps keep him off our properties!!!

LindseysWoolies":3562hj81 said:
Sadly this was 2 in the morning I couldn't find any syringes or anything. I ended up putting her down and couldn't save babies either. :( I will never forget the tums again. :(

So sorry Hon! But, it was NOT your fault. Most does don't need the Tums, really. I give it just in case...as Terry said, just get some calcium drench and keep it on hand from now on. Just in case...

Latest posts

Back