Prayers for Bingerton?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle@theWintertime

Reaction score
My ancient Cocker Spaniel Bingerton started throwing up today, then had diarrhea in the house (a red flag since he's the most reliable dog we've got when it comes to potty training) and it was full of blood. He was lethargic and showed no interest in treats; I've never known Bing to refuse a puppy cookie before.

I can't get him to a vet until morning...worried that his huge coat is a burden and that maybe he's overheated, I shaved him bald and that did seem to make him feel a little better...he accepted a cookie after that and with a little coaxing, even ate a few bites of food. He is now resting in the air conditioned room, curled up on my favorite blanket (I figured, tonight he needs it more than I do!. But I'm still worried. He's SO old and feeble and he's prone to strokes and things. And I am now super-paranoid about my pets getting cancer. I don't know what is wrong with him or what I'll do if he needs expensive treatment, but...I'll cross that bridge when and if we come to it.

Long story short I'm worried about my buddy. He'll be at the vet's as soon as they open in the morning...here's hoping he'll be okay.

Vibes coming your way.

At this point I would with-hold food and water, esp if he continues to vomit and have loose/bloody stools. As long as his gums are not tacky to the touch he should be hydrated enough. If needed give SMALL (1/4 cup) amounts of water every 15 mins. Do not let him gorge on water no matter how thirsty he seems, just small amounts over a period of time.

He's holding down food (or has been at least for about an hour) though I didn't let him eat too much. He seems to be a little restless though...I'm having a terrible time trying to sleep, too worried. :(

I totally understand. Hopefully it was just a bout of enteritis and is on it's way out. I would still not feed him any more though, and just give him little tiny bits of water. He's probably a little restless because he feels like he needs to pass stool, but my guess is there's nothing left to pass. Also...if it was bright red blood that he passed, then it's probably from his colon or rectum, but if it was dark and tarry then it was from his small intestines. Bright red is actually the better color to see if you're going to see blood in the stool.

Try to get a little rest, I know that's easier said then done. But the more anxious and stressed out you are the less rest he'll be able to get as well.

My regular vet wouldn't see him (?!?) so I ended up taking him somewhere else. They were SO nice, got him in straightaway, and they did a bit of testing...it's something with a really big name but isn't all that bad, he'll be on medication for a while and he may have "flare-ups" so it may come back once in a while but he'll be okay!!!

He's had his first dose of meds and is already seeming to be much better, he's acting more like his derpy, goofy little normal self. :D

I'm glad Bingy is going to be okay! Whew!!!

When I read your description, I was really worried- often times vomiting paired with diarrhea indicates an intestinal blockage or torsion. Did they take xrays?

What is the name of the disease and what meds is he on? (MSD demands answers, complete with technical terms!)

Kyle@theHeathertoft":3pusdlnp said:
My regular vet wouldn't see him (?!?)
I don't get this. This is the second time in the last few weeks that I've seen someone post that their vet refused to treat an animal (the other one was from a goat owner on a goat list I'm on--the goat died, copper poisoning, second goat in that herd since Janauary). WHY would a vet do this? Who's paying whom here? :shock:

I can understand a vet saying, "These tests are going to be really expensive, and I'm not sure it's cost-effective", or "The risks of treating are much higher than the potential benefit", or even "This is beyond my skill and knowledge to treat", but REFUSE to treat?

Sorry to hijack your thread, Kyle, but this really bothers me, especially in light of the looming implications for humans. . .

Back on-topic, I'm very glad Bingy is going to be ok! :clap:

Mamasheepdog, I'll look it up in his paperwork and the vet receipt in a bit, for the moment I'm completely lazy and relaxing, didn't sleep well last night after all, lol!

Trinityoaks, they said they were too busy with regular appointments to "take in" an emergency. I'm really unhappy with that because one of the reasons I pay their insane prices is because they usually do emergency work and are often on-call after hours (all the other local vets refuse on-call or after-hours work, forcing people with emergencies to drive over an hour to the only emergency clinic...more on that below) but today when I called when they opened, they said they were booked with regular appointments. Now...once before I had an emergency, my dear and now-deceased Merlot had a problem and I rushed him in, and they made all their appointments wait so they could treat him for me. Usually if I say "This is an emergency" they get my pet in right away, especially if there's blood involved or one of my geriatric pets.

In desperation I called my dad's vet, and they said they too couldn't see him but they suggested another vet...I called and they said to come right in. :)

These days I refuse to go the emergency clinic. It is over an hour away, and they charge $200 just to walk through their door. Plus whatever they do to treat your pet is about three times as expensive as a normal vet, and they are TERRIBLE!!!

My first experience with them was when my fragile little puppy Cricket broke a leg. It was on a Saturday night about nine o' clock in the evening on a holiday weekend. My regular vet was on vacation and no vet could see her until Tuesday morning. I couldn't let her suffer for days with a badly broken leg, so I took her to the emergency clinic. She's broken bones before because she has a bone density problem and some developmental problems with her bone structure. They did it all wrong...and the only break she has that didn't heal well was theirs, the leg is now shorter than the others and deformed. Plus I always opt for pain medication when Cricket breaks something, it IS painful after all...well the first dose of what they perscribed her made her froth at the mouth, shake uncontrollably and she was nearly unconscious! When I finally got ahold of my regular vet, he looked at the fax from the emergency clinic and told me never to give her what they said to ever again, they gave her some form of medication that is only used on larger dogs. She was a whopping pound-and-a-half. It is a miracle they didn't kill her!!!!!!

The second time I went down there, Ember started puking blood...then POOPING blood. Bright fire-engine red from both ends. I was convinced she was dying. When we got her there, she had temporarily stopped. They charged me the $200, then basically told me I made it up because they couldn't find any cause of the bleeding and couldn't get any blood on a rectal swab. I insisted she was sick, they finally just told me to leave. Ten minutes out of their parking lot, Ember passed about a quart of blood and gunk. Her carrier was a SWAMP. I raced back and showed them, and they had the audacity to LAUGH at me (bearing in mind that at that moment I was in tears, Ember and I have a very special bond and it pains me to think of her suffering or dying) and say "Well at least now we have a sample!" I then had to fight and argue with them over the base fee...because I "left and came back" they wanted ANOTHER $200 for walking back through their door, I insisted that the only reason I left is because they made me. When I informed them that my attorney is on speed-dial and actually got out my phone to call him, they did back off and let me avoid the second fee. They did a lot of seemingly random tests, then after many hours of poking and prodding her, determined she has a penicillin allergy (she'd been on antibiotics for her chronic infections, and they switched her to a more effective one the day before the bleeding began) and told me not to continue her antibiotics. They said the blood is from irritation in her system from mucous membranes bleeding or something. They wrote a new prescription for her infection and administered some sort of tummy-soothing stuff, and sent her home.

Based on Cricket's botched medication prescription, I stopped off at my regular vet for his advice...he reviewed the faxes and said she does indeed seem to have a penicillin allergy. He then looked at the prescription they wrote for her, the new antibiotic.

She had been prescribed Clavamox. They said to stop giving her that. The new prescription? GENERIC AMOXICILLIN. For the record, Clavamox IS AMOXICILLIN.

My regular vet stared at it, with this look of total incomprehension, and said "Yeah, DON'T FILL THIS, this is basically the same stuff. WHY WOULD THEY DO THAT?!" That's right, on the same day they diagnose a penicillin allergy, they prescribe the generic form of the STUFF THAT THEY JUST DIAGNOSED HER TO BE ALLERGIC TO.

Needless to say my vet tore up their prescription and wrote a new one, one that she has taken before with no problems, and it is the same antibiotic she has to use for any infections now. Takes a little longer to get her over them but it's better than the red tide!!!!!!

Alas, known SO MANY people who have had major issues with the emergency clinic. Waste of money IMO. Hence waiting for the morning to try and get Bing in since my regular vet won't do on-call Fri thru Sun any more. :p

UGGGHHH!! I'm so sorry, Kyle! Is there anyone you can report that emergency clinic to? Would your other vet back you up?

I used to work in veterinary hospitals, and our standards were far different. And we never refused an emergency... even if the phone rang after closing time. I was a receptionist, and very good at my job- I knew an emergency when I heard it. Clients were very understanding if things got backed up a little, and appreciated the fact that we would do the same for them.

I don't like emergency clinics either. When Chase was bitten by the rattlesnake, my regular vet sent me to the emergency clinic because they don't stock anti-venom. I saw the vet and we talked about treatment options, and he told me that his prognosis was very poor. (Basically telling me that my dog was going to die, but hey, I'll gladly fleece you out of a few thousand bucks.) He prepared an estimate, sent it via the receptionist/tech, and when I opted for euthanasia it was the tech that did it. She was very nice, but the vet never came to offer condolences.

I'm so sorry about your dog and the experience at the Emergency clinic. I was there myself over the weekend with my dog when she received a snake bite on her back leg. She was shaking,labored breathing, weakness,and slight foaming at the mouth....they took a dog and treated him like a king because he had eaten a few "vitamins". -___- We waited well over an hour for the emergency vet to take us because she said she didn't see anything visibly wrong with the dog. We had to get them to come out and see that she was obviously NOT ok for them to take her. God only knows how much longer we would of waited.Then they ran an estimate for over $2,500 to do all this stupid BS stuff for our dog and called it the "radical" way. They really like to push that. We went the "conservative" way and we were looked at as uncaring, not wealthy people. $250 later....she's perfectly fine. We actually had a lot of pain pills and such,but apparently we needed to add a few extra things. It was like they weren't going to let you leave unless your bill was X amount.

The last time we had to bring her in, they gave us some more "radical" & "conservative" crap again. She had chipped a piece of bone on her leg when she hit her leg really hard when she slipped on the deck at a friend's house playing with her dog friend. We went through a crap load of waiting and got and x-ray done that showed just this tiny bit of bone that had chipped. They couldn't read it, so they had to send it to a radiologist and when we finally went to a regular vet and they let us know it would be fine since she's a puppy. It would heal. The emergency vet wanted us to go the radical way that would cost between $3000-$4000 worth of leg surgery. We went conservative.

I just don't trust emergency vets.

Kyle Im hoping your dog (s) are doing better. I can sure Empathize with you as I am going thru similar with Marble at the present with Seizures.<br /><br />__________ Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:44 pm __________<br /><br />Kyle Im hoping your dog (s) are doing better. I can sure Empathize with you as I am going thru similar with Marble at the present with Seizures.

So I checked the receipt and some of the name of this thing is unreadable but it has "hemorragic" and "enteritis" in the name so...something something enteritis. :roll: Veterinarian handwriting faaaail! Oh well, the vet was too busy making Bing all better to write legibly. ;)

I used to work in veterinary hospitals, and our standards were far different. And we never refused an emergency... even if the phone rang after closing time. I was a receptionist, and very good at my job- I knew an emergency when I heard it. Clients were very understanding if things got backed up a little, and appreciated the fact that we would do the same for them.

Yeah, see...that's how my vet USED to be...now they are a'changing. I don't like it. I'd rather be patient and wait when I'm there for routine crap and know someone's emergency is well cared for, honestly. :p

I don't like emergency clinics either. When Chase was bitten by the rattlesnake, my regular vet sent me to the emergency clinic because they don't stock anti-venom. I saw the vet and we talked about treatment options, and he told me that his prognosis was very poor. (Basically telling me that my dog was going to die, but hey, I'll gladly fleece you out of a few thousand bucks.) He prepared an estimate, sent it via the receptionist/tech, and when I opted for euthanasia it was the tech that did it. She was very nice, but the vet never came to offer condolences.

That is TERRIBLE! :eek: Makes me angry!!! My regular vet office...when my dear Shadow kitty was dying of cancer, the vet knew I was uncomfortable with too many people in the room and when I asked her to make everyone leave, she did so...Shadow had me and one of the best vets I know there for her, and she was so kind. I lost it right after Shadow stopped breathing and she just hugged me and let me cry for a while. I always seem to get the "defective" pets (dogs or cats with issues) and I will gladly adopt a senior pet over a cute baby one...so I have a lot of losses, and fairly frequently. No vet I've ever had has sent me a card except her, for Shadow...that REALLY meant a lot to me. I still have the card and the little note she wrote in it.

For the vet not to be there for the euthanasia and to not even come back in to offer condolences is absolutely intolerable. :evil: My only thought is, that the way he's treating others will one day come back to him, the universe isn't too forgiving with such careless rudeness!!! I'm so sorry you had to go through that, though, Chase sounds to've been a wonderful and amazing dog.

The tree is a wonderful memorial, too. I like living memorials...I haven't "gotten over" Shadow enough to do one for her, but Merlot has a little memorial...I got a fancy-looking pot from Hobby Lobby, some potting soil and I planted some Morning Glories in two color varieties, "Heavenly Blue" and "Pearly Gates" white. If you look closely, his collar (complete with tags) is buckled onto the iron backing, and is indeed helping to hold up the plants. On his collar are his tags...and each of my cats has a little "motto" or phrase on it. His ID tag reads "Merlot, my loved and wonderful little cat."

The little memorial flag has a bit of a story to it. I am obsessed with my garden, and I am crazy about Afghan Hounds. While at a dog show last year, I saw a garden flag with an Afghan on it and absolutely HAD to have it for my yard. When I was paying for it, the lady said "I'm having a special, since you bought a fullsize flag, you can have a mini-flag for free!" She said she had some great dog-themed ones, but oh, they're under all the cat ones. I saw that one and almost cried...because it's perfect for Merlot: "A Faithful Friend With A Beautiful Heart."

Merlot's memorial plant: https://d.facdn.net/art/dogsoul/1308628 ... rial01.jpg

It really does help with the loss to see a beautiful living memorial. We're having the worst drought in twenty years here...and the only thing that isn't wilting is Merlot's flowers. :) The poor fellow had no immune system, and he contracted feline distemper even though he'd been vaccinated against it. Due to having no immune system, he went downhill so fast it made treatment irrelevant, he died within hours of showing the first symptoms. He was one year and one month old. :weep:

I'm so sorry about your dog and the experience at the Emergency clinic. I was there myself over the weekend with my dog when she received a snake bite on her back leg. She was shaking,labored breathing, weakness,and slight foaming at the mouth....they took a dog and treated him like a king because he had eaten a few "vitamins". -___- We waited well over an hour for the emergency vet to take us because she said she didn't see anything visibly wrong with the dog. We had to get them to come out and see that she was obviously NOT ok for them to take her. God only knows how much longer we would of waited.Then they ran an estimate for over $2,500 to do all this stupid BS stuff for our dog and called it the "radical" way. They really like to push that. We went the "conservative" way and we were looked at as uncaring, not wealthy people. $250 later....she's perfectly fine. We actually had a lot of pain pills and such,but apparently we needed to add a few extra things. It was like they weren't going to let you leave unless your bill was X amount.

Yeah I love how they seem to think it's cool to tell you that they, who rarely see your pet, know your pet better than YOU, who knows them best. Also makes me crazy...I hate it when they act like they are judging people because they want the conservative treatments first. I'm sorry, I've known a few people who went the "radical" way and they ended up far worse than if they'd been a little less "radical." I'm sorry that your emergency vet sounds on par with the one in Grand Rapids. :(

The last time we had to bring her in, they gave us some more "radical" & "conservative" crap again. She had chipped a piece of bone on her leg when she hit her leg really hard when she slipped on the deck at a friend's house playing with her dog friend. We went through a crap load of waiting and got and x-ray done that showed just this tiny bit of bone that had chipped. They couldn't read it, so they had to send it to a radiologist and when we finally went to a regular vet and they let us know it would be fine since she's a puppy. It would heal. The emergency vet wanted us to go the radical way that would cost between $3000-$4000 worth of leg surgery. We went conservative.

I just don't trust emergency vets.

I don't either!!! Not in the least!!!

Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis probably. Normally very treatable, and beatable with supportive care. It can flare up again, but if you're on top of it like you were last night and get him in asap he should be able to beat it over and over again if he has to. I've only ever seen one dog flare up twice, normally it's a once and done sort of thing, so it's pretty rare to have repeat cases.

Glad he's feeling better again. Sorry you had to go through that crap with your regular vet. That's the one thing I loved about my old boss...no matter how busy we were he was always willing to drop everything for an emergency. If a customer made a stink about it he would pull them aside and "explain" to them that he would hope no one would make a stink if it was their animal...if the customer continued to make a stink about it he would send them on their way...and ask them to never return. Best boss I ever had.

My dog Jake was pooping bright red blood. We thought that this was end. It was colon. But he rallied back and he's still going strong. Keep the faith. Hoping the best for cocker.

Karen

Tegan? I wish my vets were like that. :p

The vet who saw Bing said that with his other issues and his age and stuff, he is more likely to have occasional flare-ups...but that every time it comes back we just put him back on his meds for a while and he should be okay. In fact she said that with all his preexisting issues, he's in pretty good shape! :) Took me a whole year but I got all the extra blubber off of him, and his teeth are sparkly white if a little worn down. :D I swear by that Arm & Hammer pet water additive...when I got him the vet insisted he should get his teeth professionally cleaned...a year later, he has NO tartar buildup and his mouth is ideal!

Right now the big goofball is in his crate...he's senile enough now that I usually have to lock him in his crate with his dinner so he can't wander off and "forget" to eat. He's snacking slowly, watching Ember run around and be a crazy kitty. :)

Old picture from when I got him, but it's cute, figured I'd share! :) (And no, the camera didn't screw up his eyes, that's actually how they look...the whole left side of his face is basically limp and "dead" due to the stroke and that was the side the cataract really took over on, that's his big freaky white pupil there. :p)

313851_282573158433640_1152718213_n.jpg

I'm so relieved he's basically back to normal. :)

Latest posts

Back