Power outage.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TF3

Reaction score
I think I'm actually going to cry.
We have a major power outage here, it's been 10 hours, could be 48 more.
I'm glad the weather is mild for November!

I busted my butt all week to finish a rush order for my business, that needed to ship today. Like every waking hour. Couldn't ship it.
So that may cost me, and it is highly customized, $400 order.

But worse, to me, I finally worked up the nerve and processed my first rabbits yesterday, 13 of them-- resting in the fridge and they are now garbage. :cry:

That sucks, big time . . .. but putting them outside, maybe in a shed, should keep them cold enough until the power is back. I think the longest power outage we have had down here is about 10 hours . . . I hope yours is back on soon. Do you have any way of cooking them? Wood stove, barbecue, open fire pit? That would buy you some time.

Or could you do an ice run to the nearest store and put them in coolers?

Oh , good idea. I'll cook some now.
Power just came back.
They are tightly packed but not very cold to touch.

I'm so glad you've got your power back!

You should be able to cook them. Get one out, rinse it well, and then sniff. It should be okay. You may need to remove visible fat, but you should be able to tell if it's gone rancid.

What about your order? Any chance of salvaging your sale? :(

I'm so glad you've got your power back!

You should be able to cook them. Get one out, rinse it well, and then sniff. It should be okay. You may need to remove visible fat, but you should be able to tell if it's gone rancid.

What about your order? Any chance of salvaging your sale? :(

Was there no ice available? Here in Missouri we had a large scale outage, due to an ice storm, and numerous people lost everything in their freezer and fridge. Sad thing is that the highs were in the 20's and lows in the low teens. We placed our food in a cooler outside and didn't loose anything. Our biggest issue was keeping things from freezing. :x If we would have lived in the country at the time I would still have placed everything outside in a shed or something.

Glad to hear that your powers back though. Sorry you lost some product as a result.

Thanks!
It sounds like me need a pressure canner!
Hopefully the sale will be ok, I'll pay the extra to ship faster on Monday.

All the meat is cooked now, so tomorrow I'll debone it and freeze it for soups, sloppy joes and so on.
I had some fajita and chili seasoning so i did up a lot of the loin with those.
Enforced meal planning :lol:

Unfortunately as our power was/is out over such a wide area, there is no place to get any resources (ice, fuel etc.).
We went out looking for water today and found enough for the bunnies.

*off to get my emergency preparedness kit together*
(living where we do, we really need to have this in place... even food~ thank goodness for halloween candy!)

I'm so glad you were able to salvage the meat! :p

Emergency supplies are absolutely essential for all sorts of unexpected eventualities. We almost completely depleted ours over the space of a year of my husband looking for work... except for our store of dried beans. We had put a dent in them, but still had plenty, and a respectable quantity of rice. We had almost run out of canned goods by the time he found a good job a couple of months ago.

I hope all turns out well with your order! I think your shipping plans will go a long way toward demonstrating your good faith to your buyer. :)

Small price to pay for a really powerful wake up call. I am quickly converting freezer foods to cans. Our current dependency on electricity has put us in a very dangerous place. If you do a little research on the power grid's instability and potential terrorist attacks on it, you'll get very nervous. There's a high price to be paid for all of our modern day luxuries and technology. I hope I'm wrong but if I'm right, things could get real bad, real quick!
Let this motivate you (us) to action. YES, get that canner ASAP (see my post on my new one). Best wishes!

We had a massive freak storm on the lower mainland (BC) in August. It left 200,000+ homes without power--some for well over 48 hrs.

I was down for a visit and it was a real wake up call to realize how much we rely on electricity. The vacation rental I was staying at was entirely computer controlled. Water tank/light/heat/phone -- all controlled electrically. Even the gas stove had an electric start! I had to sit in my car to charge my cell phone to call home and let DH know I was ok and congratulate myself that I'd gassed up because there were no gas stations with power to fill my car.

My breeder friend has all of her well water on an electric pump system. She had 200+ rabbits on a watering system as well as a cattery of purebred bengals with no way to deliver water for over 2 days! They also own a blueberry farm with $30,000 worth of frozen blueberries sitting in 11 deep freezes. They ended up camping out in their rv and making the decision to get out and invest in back up gennies.

It was an eye opener to see how completely dependent we are on one utility.

Absolutely!
Many folks here are still 24 hours from restored hydro. Many have generators, but then fuel is a issue-- friends had to travel quite a ways to get fuel today.
AND the cell phone towers rely on electricity, so when their generators ran out...

We have wood heat but it is a furnace, so no use for cooking. This will renew my push to replace it with a wood stove on the main floor!

It doesn't take much to realize that we have very little protection in the event of lost electricity (or anything else).

I have had this thought many times, but get overwhelmed thinking about what we need to do to make our house at least manageable. Ideally, bare minimum:

wood cookstove in the basement
more canned goods vs. fresh/frozen
hand pump well

Tiny Buns":cvntvmiy said:
We had a massive freak storm on the lower mainland (BC) in August. It left 200,000+ homes without power--some for well over 48 hrs.

I was down for a visit and it was a real wake up call to realize how much we rely on electricity. The vacation rental I was staying at was entirely computer controlled. Water tank/light/heat/phone -- all controlled electrically. Even the gas stove had an electric start! I had to sit in my car to charge my cell phone to call home and let DH know I was ok and congratulate myself that I'd gassed up because there were no gas stations with power to fill my car.

My breeder friend has all of her well water on an electric pump system. She had 200+ rabbits on a watering system as well as a cattery of purebred bengals with no way to deliver water for over 2 days! They also own a blueberry farm with $30,000 worth of frozen blueberries sitting in 11 deep freezes. They ended up camping out in their rv and making the decision to get out and invest in back up gennies.

It was an eye opener to see how completely dependent we are on one utility.

When I had a lot of livestock [chickens and rabbits] my gravity flow watering system had a 100 gal stock tank with a float valve in it on a platform in the top of my barn, to maintain water pressure for rabbit and chicken automatic waterers, The power was off over a week, before water ran out in the tank...., -[I have always had a generator, or two- big enough to run the well pump ] -- when I was in Florida, power was off for as much as 6 weeks...

Well, if my Sister didn't live in the US that would sound almost unbelievable. I mean, yeah, there are blackouts sometimes over here, but everything over an hour is a news story. Only happens when an avalanche cuts off a village in the alps, or a "once per century" storm hits.

A backup generator to have at least the freezer running may not be a bad idea, considering all the work, energy and money that is in a freezer full of rabbits...

I know with us here in Canada, our power lines have to stretch over such vast distances, much of it wilderness/ woods etc.
Where we live, we have probably at least 4 outages a year~ most are only a couple hours, but in the 10 years we have been in this area of Northern Ontario, there have been outages lasting several days somewhere in our region at least once every two years.

Yeah I think it has alot to do with population density.
World_population_density_1994.png

Back