Possibly a miracle... [+weird update!]

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nyctra

Reaction score
First, a handful of breeding's didn't take - and when finally one did, she aborted a kit 22 days in, and the rest of the litter died around the due date but were never expelled. I assumed they'd calcify since they died so late, and it'd render her infertile, since that seems to be what happens when a doe retains a litter...
But despite assuming her sterile, I rebred her several times anyway.
It's been 31 days since one breeding...and look what Sophie's got! :popcorn: Hoping it's not a coincidental false pregnancy and she'll safely give me a litter...

Attachments

• IMG_4703.jpg
    IMG_4703.jpg
    278.2 KB · Views: 750
No kits yet, but she's still nesting! Maybe tonight... :D

Sophie gave me four babies early this morning! :p Three fat ones and a runt...
IMG_4743.jpg

...but there's something strange about the runt...
IMG_4727.jpg

He's polydactyl. :shock: Pretty weird, 'cause Sophie is missing a hind toe...it was thought it was bitten off as a kit...now I think she was just born that way. :?
IMG_4726.jpg

As far as I can see, he's the only deformed kit.

wow. neat. I wonder if it will affect him at all. that's cool. girl that was in my class in high school had a baby that had an extra pinky on both hands, the babys dad had something similar when he was born i'd heard and theyd gotten his removed. I don't know if they had the babys removed or not. I do know the one hands extra pinky was fully movable.

I wonder what genes cause that. I know its heritable with the cuy/guinea pigs and in S.A. they breed for it a lot but ya don't see it much in other animals.

katiebear":5s52s6r5 said:
That one would make a neat charm. :cool: ...But I kinda have a sick side.. :oops:
Oh dang, you're right! :eek: I didn't even think of that.
I wonder how much it could fetch, being a mutant and all? :greedy:

People collect all kinds of "different" stuff..I bet you could get a bidding war going on on E-Bay... :money: Especially if you put a cool cap on it. :)

I realized the odd-toed baby has something weird with it's leg... Looks like a little bit of meat sticking out a small nick in the back of it. I can't make it push back in. :cry: I think it's the only doe in the bunch, too...I hope it'll be alright.

Attachments

• IMG_4791.jpg
    IMG_4791.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 625
  • IMG_4787.jpg
    IMG_4787.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 625
Hmm. it almost looks like a penis or something. Who knows. I would keep an eye on it. It will be interesting to see how this pans out.

I thought it was a tiny baby testicle at first....or an intestine... :x
But after it pooped and peed and I sexed them all, I'm pretty sure both are ruled out. :hmm:

it might just be a small hole through the skin and the muscle is pushed out. I had a goat get a cut on its side and after two weeks cleaning this weird knobby wound I realized the knobby was muscle sticking out weirdly and not a huge scab. had to force the muscle back in with a finger and put a stitch in it. **gag** But she healed up just fine. I don't know what you could do for such a tiny thing though? :/

It does look like something that isn't meant to be on the outside, based on the colour of the flesh. Weird place for any kind of a hernia, though, so like ohiogoatgirl says, it might be a tiny wound in the leg skin and muscle. I don't suppose you can get a closer/clearer picture without upsetting her too much?

I had a kitten (cat lady story again sorry!) born with a very deformed front paw and an extreme umbilical hernia forced out by the pressure of birth, but he was particularly strong and lusty despite that, so I gave him a chance rather than euthanising him on day one - with time and attention his hernia stayed in and healed over enough that he wasn't at risk of inside bits becoming trapped outside, and he never let his weird foot stop him. Once he was old enough and big enough he had a minor operation to put a stitch in his umbilical hernia to repair it properly. He lives with his sister in a happy pet home. Cats are of course different from rabbits - but my point was merely that if this little "weird one" is otherwise healthy and happy, and most importantly not suffering, give it a while and see.

Latest posts

Back