Possible wool

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tm_bunnyloft

Reaction score
The woman that bought the Jersey Woolies happens to have long haired sheep that shed 3 to 5 inch hair in the spring. Said it is kinda like wool but sheds. Can't recall the type of sheep but she is going to give me their fiber in the spring as she has never done anything with it.

I have no idea what type of sheep these are but Ill take the fiber and see what I can do with it. To bad she doesn't have any now. :D

tm_bunnyloft":nb8njfot said:
Said it is kinda like wool but sheds.

I think those are probably "hair sheep". I am not sure, but I don't think it has the crimp needed for spinning.

They are likely a meat sheep, like a katahdin. I believe they are valued as an easy meat breed because shearing is unnecessary.

hair sheep fiber can be spun. its not anything for against the skin i dont think, but its fiber nonetheless.
i want to get into sheep and will probably get some wool breds for fiber and some hair breds for meat lambs and something different to spin with.

from what i understand the hair sheep are breeds that have kept the sort of "wild" coat. its a mix of wool and hair and it is shed in the spring. different hair breeds will have differing amounts of hair-to-wool.

http://www.sheep101.info/hair.html

everything i've read on them says to basically ignore the fiber that they shed. though i think it would be interesting to spin. i mean i certianly havent heard of anyone spinning it. i think it would be cool for a primitive looking yarn for rugs, wall hangings, etc.

Hey yeah. I can make rug yarn with it. I mean why not. ITs free. I could mix it with some other wool even, to help make it spin easier if need be, and make wool rugs. I have always wanted to make wool braided rugs. Why not make them with heavy wool yarn. Thats a great idea. Like I said its free so worth a shot. Thanks for the idea.

:D you're welcome.
now if i could find people around me trying to get rid of fibers xD

I am thinking about posting on the Farm and Garden Craigslist for fibers. Figure it can't hurt. Right!

tm_bunnyloft...

I'm not trying to discourage your exploration into spinning different fibers...not at all...but...if I am understanding correctly, you are new to spinning? Please, at least learn on "easy" fibers to spin so you can get the movements down and decide you like the activity before trying something more challenging. Take the free wool...but save it until after you have become totally addicted to spinning. :)

heehee which becoming totally addicted to spinning shouldnt take long, its the learning all the spinning that takes a bit ;)

My wool and spindle came today. It isn't as hard to get started as I thought but I do have a ton of questions. lol

Again thank you. I will go check it out after school tomorrow. My third try with a drop spindle is getting nice results. Im surprised how quickly I am catching on. This is the coolest hobby ever!!

Latest posts

Back