Possible restaurant opportunity...HELP

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Secuono

Reaction score
For those that supply rabbit to a business or the like, about 30 growers a week, how do you do it?
From breeding to shipping out, it's 3 to even 5 months, with 3 months being those mythical 5# 8wk rabbits.
I'm assuming you'd have to have staggered breedings to always have rabbit. But how many does, when, any back up does also in the program?
Is it best to buy true production/commercial stock or can it be done with regular meat breeds? [I'll be getting at least a pair of 'real' commercial rabbits, but it won't be until after October and they are only 8-10wks old.]
Any other advice, tips?
My buyer of growers gets them around 4-8wks of age. Then she grows them out further, to sell them to a butcher. But now she may have an agreement for 30 rabbits a week!
She asked me if I'd like to join in and help. I'm guessing the setup would be the same, I breed and raise to 4-8wks and she buys to finish them for the buyer. She wants to get some does to also be breeding and growing out. You know, double team it to meet the 30 rabbits.

:help: :bow:

I got no idea on the numbers, but I just wanted to say that I really hope this works out for you, CnB. You're overdue for some good things.

Someone on a homesteading forum told me I'd need 30 to 50 does split between the two of us. So 15 to 30 each.
*faints* thats wayyyy too many rabbits.
If those numbers are true, I can only help with supplementing a litter ever 2wks or something...

It's not easy to jump from a backyard operation, no matter how big, to what is basically a commercial venture.

I hope Grumpy sees this thread. He could likely give you some realistic advice. I understand now your concern for five pounds at eight weeks!

I have nooooooooo idea about this stuff. :p You are really going through quite a lot of upheaval right now! I hope everything works out well for you and all your animals. :)

Yeah, I was thinking it would be good if Grumpy chimed in. :)

Latest posts

Back