possible rabbit paralysis

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SterlingSatin

Reaction score
my friend has a rabbit that hasn't been able to walk well for 2 and 1/2 months. at first it had no mobility in its hind legs but 2 weeks ago he started to hop a few steps and then fall over. it can also move its back legs and can drag itself. he's a mini rex and he's about 2 and 1/2 years old. they didn't see break its back and they don't know if its broken or not. he was fed corn around the same time he became paralyzed. could that have caused it? he is regaining some mobility but not a lot. he has a sore where he drags himself and urine scald. any ideas on what could have caused the paralysis or why its getting better?

Sounds like a broken back, or somthing similiar. I don't have much experience with that. If it is worth takeing it to the vet, I would. If not, I would go ahead and put it out of it's misery.

Moldy corn poisoning (the mold is invisible) can cause paralysis and ataxia (acting drunk from lack of muscle control). Dunno how long it takes to go away. A swollen area pressing on the spine instead of a break can also cause back leg paralysis that slowly goes away. If there is improvement is possible either could lead to full recovery. I've seen it in rodents. With over 2 months of dragging itself around though I would think stress and possibly sores could be an issue and quality of life is in question. I probably would have put down if there wasn't a big improvement within the first month. The full recoveries from spine injuries that I've seen had most limb usage returned within 3-4weeks and then full recovery within 2 months.

E. Cuniculi
brain parasite
usually doesn't show before 2-3 years, but if the rabbit is a breeder
it can be passed on invitro, and hides in the eye lens, leading to a burst lens.

I am the person who owns the rabbbit and I think it was the moldy corn. He had dried corn that had been sitting outside at a friends house. I didn't know that it could hurt him. He actually died this Thursday sadly. He was my first and only rabbit. It is hard to think that he is just gone.

Sorry to hear of your loss, Holly. Losing an animal is always hard, and worse yet when it may have been prevented. It is not my preferred way to learn a lesson, that is for sure.

Try not to blame yourself too much- I know that is hard advice to follow, but we all have had similar losses, I'm sure. I hope you are not going to give up on rabbits. There are lots of rabbits out there and I'm sure you can find another nice bunny to fill the hole in your heart.

{{{{{Holly}}}}} I'm so sorry! It's hard to lose a bunny, especially one of your first. BTDT! Hang in there, and don't give up hope! Like MamaSheepDog said, don't be too hard on yourself. We all go through these "learning experiences" with our rabbits, and some of those lessons are tough.

Thanks everyone. I am hoping to find another one this summer when I show llamas. That is where I got Chip. The people sold him because his bite was wrong so he couldn't be shown.

HollyB":9v4xcxdy said:
Thanks everyone. I am hoping to find another one this summer when I show llamas. That is where I got Chip. The people sold him because his bite was wrong so he couldn't be shown.
If that's the case (malocclusion), then you might have had to put him down anyway.

Latest posts

Back