Possible Kitten~

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funnies50

Reaction score
I may be getting a little kitten for Christmas! :D There's a gorgeous baby gray tabby (idk what breed) at Petco, spayed and neutered. :) I know some of you have cats that seem? to be getting along fine with the rabbits, and I finally got a real cage for the bun with a lock of sorts. (Hamster died :()
Akane, I've seen your adorbs little Allergy Balls, and I think!! if I pester my mom and dad enough, they'll buy me one. But I want to know everything about it first before I do. :)
Help/info? Anything's appreciated.
:all-ears:

Usually they aren't too bad with rabbits. Rabbits are fairly big, even the dwarf ones, compared to a cat and don't usually run away too excitedly. Unless you are getting something that has spent some of it's life feral they usually don't show too strong of desire to go after moderate sized critters and some won't even bother somewhat smaller things like young guinea pigs. Mainly it's just play behavior you have to watch out for. Cats have so much bacteria in their saliva that small critters can get an accidental infection from a very minor incident so if they get hyper and show a desire to grab hold of something they need separated by at least cage bars until they calm down.

Get wand toys. You can find them all over amazon.com for various prices. I actually watched every episode of My Cat from Hell when I got my kittens. Partially it was amusing and partially it was research. Get wand toys and wear them out every day. Also giving the cat a good place to go up like a series of shelves or a cat tower where it likes to hang out can prevent a lot of issues. Just exercising them and giving them their own space can solve aggression on other animals and humans as well as reduce/prevent marking behavior and improve litter box habits.

Good to know. Thanks Akane. :)
Would those look something like this?

images

Yeah, any of them work. Some might last a little longer than others. I know Da Bird is a popular one but might cost more for that reason. We found 2 versions at the feed store. One has feathers with a retractable wand and string for storage and using at different heights. The other is just a mouse that squeaks when bounced on a cheap wand I keep trying not to bend too far when the cats manage to catch the mouse. Those squeak mice on strings tend to lose squeak for periods of time but if you bang them around the squeaker often starts working again. One of my cats growing up would even fetch her squeaker mouse on a string and bring it to me.

akane":1njeh13x said:
The other is just a mouse that squeaks when bounced on a cheap wand I keep trying not to bend too far when the cats manage to catch the mouse. Those squeak mice on strings tend to lose squeak for periods of time but if you bang them around the squeaker often starts working again.

:p

Alright, I'll see what I can do about the wand and mouse ;)

Cats raised around rabbits usually do fine. My cats are all fine with the adult rabbits, scared of them even. But the babies? that's a different story. They view the babies as prey and my one cat, a siamese mix, single-pawedly once wiped out 3 babies in a litter of 8 that I had earlier this spring :cry:

The younger the kitten, the earlier he or she is exposed to the rabbit, the better it will be for both of them.

Just keep in mind that cats are and always will be predators and remember that cats, adult cats *can* kill something bigger than they are and exercise that air of caution and you'll be fine.

Babies are a possible concern but I would think those would mostly be safely caged. If you get out young ones you may have to be a little more careful. Although I have a cat that runs away from newborn guinea pigs and young rabbits. :lol: Miyu is just always hyper and curious so she'll sneak up near me and the baby guinea pig. Then slowly reach out a paw until she can whack it to see what it will do. She likes circling the guinea pig cages just to watch them run away to another area. Most of the time she can't even get to the guinea pig cages so it's not much of a problem.

I keep the cages in the garage, but I'll probably need to put all the cat's stuff in there as well.
The cage has a VERY simple 'hook' lock --

31wK7GZossL._SX300_.jpg

-- so I think that might not be the best. But I don't know quite what else to do. .__.

Well, a cats not gonna actively try to get into the cage, not like a coon will, a raccoon would have that hook lock unlatched in less than a second, but with a cat, the most you'll have to worry about is leaving babies unattended if you have then out running around.

my cat got my babies when I had the mother and babies in a cage where the babies could get through the wire, now that they can't, I haven't lost any babies to the cats.

Our darling Thomas is a huge pain. We got stuck with him after hand raising him and his 3 brothers. He started potting in the house so we kicked him out. Most of the time when this happens cat owners are to blame for not keeping the litter box clean or not spay or neutering. But not our cat, he was just lazy. If we were sitting in the living room he wouldn't walk the 300 ft to his box in the office. Anyways he likes our rabbits :twisted: but he's not allowed in the rabbitry. He does just love the heads though. :lol: :lol: We've had cats in the house with hamsters and that was fun :evil: Kept a close eye on the little :twisted: It might not be able to unlock the cage but can still harass your bunny. Especially a kitten, everything is a game to them.

*Note* I'm a dog person. And they don't harass my rabbits (their personal pez dispensers) :lol: :lol:

Latest posts

Back