Posing- update with pics!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildWolf

Reaction score
I don't show, but I want to sell to show people. And the SOP is a great guide, except I like a lot of unrecognized colors...
Anyway, can someone give me advice on posing? I know, basically, what to look for once the rabbit is posed... but one of my rabbits is super squirmy, and I don't think I'm lining him up right.

How do you pose a squirmy rabbit? :bunnyhop:
I know the front feet should be in line with the eyes. What about the back feet?
Anyone have any other tips?

Thanks in advance!

I just keep 'resetting' a squirmer. But sometimes, it's best to just try again another day. Takes time for them to understand you just want them to sit and not run away.
I pull the back feet back with my middle and thumb right on the inner hock joint. Then push the butt with the open palm. Other hand pointer and thumb feel over the shoulders for elbows down, if not, my other hand wiggles them into place.
One breeder plainly sets them down, covers the head down/back and then pokes the rabbit's rear to get them to scooch and sit right. Sometimes that works, mine don't like it. Rather just lift and lower them into place.

For squirmers, I work a lot more with them. Although, I have one buck in my rabbitry that will only cooperate at shows. He's very handsome and shows off his type well when he's just resting in his cage, but never has come around.

Usually when I'm teaching and they like to squirm, I hold on around the top of the neck, place one over their back for reinforcement, let them pull back and or put some pressure with my thumb under the jaw....I let them throw their fit until they push into my hand and then I let go. I rather them lean into my hand than push back.

Usually it leads to me just having to touch their head, poke them with my right hand on the hindquarter, and they will set themselves up.

Some rabbits also just don't have the conformation to pose correctly. I see breeds such a hollands with people holding their heads up in pictures and in reality, if they are bred correctly, the head shouldn't need to be held and should naturally sit on the shoulders.

One of the judges at the last show said something that will help me tons. A rabbit should really be able to set itself up. A pose should be natural. So like Peach said about hollands, that head should be where it should be on its own. You will never see a good judge hold the rabbit in place. They put the rabbit where it should be, and even if it squirms they dont hold on.

I do try to teach mine to stay calm when on the table. So I dont give up until after they do. Even if they calm down for a millisecond, then I let go. I do it longer everytime, then eventually they stay put on their own while posed. Its like training a dog, but easier. Rabbits just want to be left to their own devices mostly.

Edit: I lied, I just watched a judge hold my rex so she could judge them. I watched her judging brits, and those little evil things would not stay still. But I guess they would try to nip when she held on. So its the snipey rabbits they dont hold still LOL

It just takes practice, both for you and the rabbit. I can't give you any tips on posing because I don't know what breed(s) you want posed. Many of them pose differently.
However, if you work with the rabbit for a few minutes every day or every other day, eventually it will come around and learn to sit where you leave it.
I have seen numerous times that the rabbit that will sit while compared by the judge to another rabbit oftentimes wins, simply because of good table manners.

Ah the beauty of a running breed. :) Just sit them on the table and "hope" they take off. But, like posing it takes practice with the rabbit before hand. You want them use to the table and what they're suppose to do when put on it. I.E. stand up, be proud, and strut! There's nothing worse than one slinking/crawling down the table with its belly dragging.

Thank you everyone! Your replies help a lot. I'm raising Silver Foxes, and am getting (Standard) Rexes soon. Are there any breed-specific tips? Or any more general tips?

So, I went out to try to pose Quasar again. I put him on a makeshift table, and he was squirmy and wanted to run off... eventually, he stopped for a millisecond, so I let him go. Then after a while, he hopped back into his hutch and did this, the stubborn silly wabbit:
photo.JPG
photo(1).JPG
photo(2).JPG
photo(3).JPG
photo(4).JPG

Is he posed correctly? I think he might have been a little too low... he was about to lay down.
Criticism/praise of his type? Am I right in this assessment: he has a little bit too low shoulders, and needs a rounder butt (although that might be because he's almost laying down)

sorry about the fuzzyness... I took the pictures with my ipod.

WildWolf":3hzwexua said:
Criticism/praise of his type?

Any criticism/praise on his type is useless information without being able to touch the rabbit. In the last two pictures it looks as if he has a mandolin style body which some SF's have as a throwback, but it's bad on the show table because you need a commercial type. But again, without someone posing it out in person and feeling the body, just conjecture based on a picture so it really means jack. Even as pictures go, you can't even get an idea on the commercial, because the rabbit needs to be as wide as he is high at the topline, and with those pics, you can't see an above view.

If you want to sell to show people, the best way to get them interested is to show them. Established show people often don't buy stock with nothing backing it up because they are trying to improve their current stock, not throw in random stock. You could sell to people new to showing, but if you yourself don't truly understand what you have, you could be setting people up with inferior stock right out of the gate.

Just my opinion:
The rise starts very far back/too late.
It looks like you could fit four fingers
between his ears and the Rise. You don't want to fit
more than two fingers, and even that is a bit much.
The Rise should start directly behind the ears.
Like I said, JMPO.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

phillinley- I realize that there are limitations to just seeing pictures. Those were the best pictures I could get. I could not get the ipod above him (he was in his hutch). And he is not quite posed right, I think. But I was just looking for a little feed back. I'm new to judging/posing...
And I want to be able to sell to show people, but they aren't going to be my main market probably. I don't have time to show. Anyway, I'm in the learning process now so that I will understand what I have... which is why I asked in the first place.

Thanks Ottersatin, I see what you mean. Although it might be because he was leaning toward my hand a bit... I'm still not good at posing. :)

I agree he has more of the mandolin type than commercial. Silver fox aren't easy, but don't be discouraged. Shoulders are a hard fix. So do consider it wisely before using him as a herd buck. If he's just making meat rabbits, it won't matter.

His hindquarter doesn't look stellar but not bad!

How old is he? Make sure your rabbits are making weight if your breed has a minimum.

Don't have my SOP sitting infront of me :/

Thanks Peach, your post helps and is far from being discouraging! He is 13weeks old. The last time I weighed him he was around 4.5lbs (and by the way, he's on a no-pellet diet). I just did a quick search and the min weight for Junior rabbits is 4.5lbs.
I am getting another buck this August. I hope he has good shoulders :)

Sadly SF are somewhat rare, and not extremely developed like some other breeds. But, I love them anyway and I'm doing my best to learn as much as possible so I can improve the breed :)

When posing, should the front feet and elbows be on the table? Or should the elbows be not quite touching the table? Every time I petted his face, he slouched down a bit since he was relaxing...

I agree that his shoulders look long, and dare I say narrow (not seeing a top pic), but I had the same problem in my Rex.

However, I had to work with what I had, and there has been significant improvement in the shoulders. I just kept the ones with the best rise and widest shoulders to breed from.

I would suggest attending a few shows- even if you do not exhibit your rabbits, you can watch the judging of the commercial rabbit breeds and learn a lot. Even better would be to offer to clerk for a judge- especially a friendly, personable one, who likes to teach. ;) That's what I do, anyway. :D

If possible try placeing him on a piece of carpet, shag preferably, my rabbits just seem to have a lot more patience and don't argue with me as much when I do so. :argue:

Thanks, I'll try the carpet trick today!
Thanks, MSD, that is very encouraging. I'm planning on attending the next nearby show :)
I might post top pictures today, we'll see if I get around to it.

Latest posts

Back